The annual Jools' Annual Hootenanny is crap thread

It was bafflingly bad. A tradition for us and our guests might have ended with that sadly. The BBC might get cancelled as well as it holds no interest for me anymore.

It could do with a refresh. I love “Later”. And never miss it but this year I taped it and just watched the first 30 seconds of Rod to check out his backing singers people were going on about then I deleted it.

I got pelters earlier for saying it's usually live but a couple of other folk, in real life, seem to think the same thing 🤷‍♂️ Any definitive conclusion to this.

I might as well start it. We've had some Jools boogie-woogie, Rod Stewart doing something a bit boogie-woogie and Sugababes (original line up) doing a new soing. Now it's Ruby Turner doing a ska-ish version of Blueberry Hill for no valid reason.

The Mary Wallopers and the superb Muireann Bradley will be on later and I quite like Raye so it ain't all bad.
I only fast forwarded for The Mary Wallopers who were great, despite no accordionist and the loss of the mullets :D Cracking version of Streams of Whiskey and lovely to have Spider there (when I saw them in May, Spider played on a couple of tunes).

You are right about Muireann Bradley, the only other performer I watched. Anyone singing Revd Gary Davis deserves attention and I found she has covered Blind Blake magnificently who I have been listening to lots recently so an immediate connection.

I loved Rod up to Atlantic Crossing and I always want him to recapture what he was but I think that's long gone. A fan of Paul Jones and PP Arnold too so I will listen to them. Saw Paul Jones stepping in for Van Morrison singing with the Chris Barber Band around 1987/1988 at Newcastle Playhousr. Great gig and Jones was fantastic.

What songs did Jones do? My guess - Pretty Flamingo?
My favourite is his solo hit I’ve Been A Bad Bad Boy - absolute gem 😎

Back