Thatcher Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arguable. The term itself has been around since the late 30s. The US intervention in Chile after the assassination of Allende by the CIA is often put forward as the first major implementation of it - led by the 'Chicago Boys'.

Reported for being off topic and for not using 'neoliberal' in a post.

Reported for being off topic and for not using 'neoliberal' in a post.

Sorry :) It's just that I've been reading a lot about it recently for a thing I'm doing. It's a bit of an obsession at the moment. I'll move on to something else soon and bore the fuck out of everyone with that instead.

"There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher, 1988

"There is no such thing as Margaret Thatcher" - Society, 2013

Sorry :) It's just that I've been reading a lot about it recently for a thing I'm doing. It's a bit of an obsession at the moment. I'll move on to something else soon and bore the fuck out of everyone with that instead.

I thought so. You've read a few chapters of a book and now you think you're Noam Chomsky. Truth be known, you've probably been reading Chomsky.

Did he mention 'economic disaster'? Did you bother to look out of the window and see the houses still standing and the cows grazing?

"There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher, 1988

Margaret Thatcher didn't say that.

It was another conservative who said that, and he was male.

And, only a dullard would take it to mean that he meant 'there is no such thing as society' without any sort of context.

What he said, and meant when placed in context, is that when it comes to where responsibility lies, it rests with you - there is no society to share the risk of failure. Society does not make or break you.

And, only a dullard would take it to mean that he meant 'there is no such thing as society' without any sort of context.

What he said, and meant when placed in context, is that when it comes to where responsibility lies, it rests with you - there is no society to share the risk of failure. Society does not make or break you.

Did you add the context for him / her / it?

Why would you need to add context to a politicians statement?

Good points - except she did say it.

Mate, you can't be that dense.

Those words were part of a wider statement/article.

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

Enough context?

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

Enough context?

probably kick off again but i'm struggling to find a fault with that.

Yes she did:

"They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours." – in an interview in Women's Own in 1987

Now what was that you were saying about people being dense?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Enough context?

I was saying this to the disabled kid over the road today

so shes getting blamed for someone else's cock-ups now :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back