That awkward moment when someone asks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

not confident enough in your ability like lads? You both have kit good enough, and according to flikr - the skill..

I've been asked to do one next May, 3 days in a hotel in the lakes. Thinking about it.. May next year is a long time away..

Last edited by a moderator:
done one a couple of weeks back - not officially, so no pressure to get anything right, as you can see by the pic i entered in this month's comp, i didn't get paid or owt, just took my camera along and snapped away all day, ended up quite pleased with my efforts and the happy couple loved them too when i sent them to them.

not confident enough in your ability like lads? You both have kit good enough, and according to flikr - the skill..

I've been asked to do one next May, 3 days in a hotel in the lakes. Thinking about it.. May next year is a long time away..

lighthouses and crypts and things don't argue with you about their best side :lol: Once you've taken their money... they OWN you

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPBbTBQiiY[/ame]

It's nothing to do with the photography.

Are you comfortable telling the bride and groom what to do?
Are you comfortable making sure the guests do what you want?
Are you comfortable with not getting the shot they want and ruining their day?
Are you ready to be told you're not worth what they paid, or a dispute over your fee?
Do you have at least one back up camera and a second shooter in place?

If the answer to all these is yes, then get yourself a job as a second shooter for a few months to see how it's done and you may be ready for next May.

Good luck with that.

You need to be charging at least £2k for the three days and delivering ab album of what? 30 shots?

Are you comfortable telling the bride and groom what to do? - 100% yes
Are you comfortable making sure the guests do what you want? - 100% yes
Are you comfortable with not getting the shot they want and ruining their day? - 100% no, i think this would make me abit snap happy..
Are you ready to be told you're not worth what they paid, or a dispute over your fee? - not sure, this is surley an extreme scenario?
Do you have at least one back up camera and a second shooter in place? - got a 1100d, would need a better flash, already paid for what i would class at top-end lens.. may ask someone off here to be second shooter :lol:

If the answer to all these is yes, then get yourself a job as a second shooter for a few months to see how it's done and you may be ready for next May.

Good luck with that.

You need to be charging at least £2k for the three days and delivering ab album of what? 30 shots?

Would defo have to become a second shooter, I would also pay for a course, i would also watch some weddings from a'far and examine all of my mates weddings snaps.. i'm abit OCD with this kinda thing..

would be multiple albums, abit of a themed wedding..

Would defo have to become a second shooter, I would also pay for a course, i would also watch some weddings from a'far and examine all of my mates weddings snaps.. i'm abit OCD with this kinda thing..

Good luck. HAve a read of some of the disasters over on Talk Photography.

Did one a couple of years back, never again.

It's 75% crowd control, 10% manual labour, 10% editing and 5% photography.

The only saving grace for me is that I did it as a favour, and explained beforehand that if they want professional results then they need to hire a professional.

I often take my SLR to weddings and take hundreds of snaps, but the difference between that and being solely responsible to get the formals, ceremony, old aunt Nora who died the day after, it's massive.

If you are adamant about doing it, some tips from my experience;

- Ensure you have at least 2 cameras at all times, both with quick lenses on them. Ideally a flash on each too.
- Have an assistant, if only to watch your spare gear when you're being accosted by the latest group of people who want their photo doing.
- Minimum equipment imo would be 2 x DSLRs, 5-6 lenses, 2 x tripods, 4 x battery packs, 2 x flash units, reflector, laptop, appx. 20GB of portable memory. You will have to carry the above on-and-off for appx. 12 hours.
- Do the formals on the quiet and away from the main party, lest you'll have 100 people with digital cameras destroying your light and making your subjects look in 100 different directions
- Get to the church 45 minutes before anyone else, set up and figure out what the lighting situation is. If the light is too poor for handheld and a flash isn't an option (which is likely), set up a tripod wherever you can without pissing everyone off (good luck with that)
- Keep in mind with the above that you'll need to get shots of the bride in her full regalia at the house, and she won't be ready til the very last minute. Oh, and you'll also need to get her stepping out of the car. And some shots of the groom looking nervous. Don't forget about getting to the church early. (and good luck with that too)
- Get the bride and groom to confirm a shotlist beforehand. They'll probably not want to beforehand ("you're the expert") and be too loved-up on the day to give a shit. They'll definitely want one afterwards mind.
- Use the bridesmaids and groomsmen to tell you who's who. Do you know that really sweet picture of that old guy and flowergirl? The one that you reckon will make a great spread in the album? Yeah, well he's a paedo.

Good luck ;)

Did one a couple of years back, never again.

It's 75% crowd control, 10% manual labour, 10% editing and 5% photography.

The only saving grace for me is that I did it as a favour, and explained beforehand that if they want professional results then they need to hire a professional.

I often take my SLR to weddings and take hundreds of snaps, but the difference between that and being solely responsible to get the formals, ceremony, old aunt Nora who died the day after, it's massive.

If you are adamant about doing it, some tips from my experience;

- Ensure you have at least 2 cameras at all times, both with quick lenses on them. Ideally a flash on each too.
- Have an assistant, if only to watch your spare gear when you're being accosted by the latest group of people who want their photo doing.
- Minimum equipment imo would be 2 x DSLRs, 5-6 lenses, 2 x tripods, 4 x battery packs, 2 x flash units, reflector, laptop, appx. 20GB of portable memory. You will have to carry the above on-and-off for appx. 12 hours.
- Do the formals on the quiet and away from the main party, lest you'll have 100 people with digital cameras destroying your light and making your subjects look in 100 different directions
- Get to the church 45 minutes before anyone else, set up and figure out what the lighting situation is. If the light is too poor for handheld and a flash isn't an option (which is likely), set up a tripod wherever you can without pissing everyone off (good luck with that)
- Keep in mind with the above that you'll need to get shots of the bride in her full regalia at the house, and she won't be ready til the very last minute. Oh, and you'll also need to get her stepping out of the car. And some shots of the groom looking nervous. Don't forget about getting to the church early. (and good luck with that too)
- Get the bride and groom to confirm a shotlist beforehand. They'll probably not want to beforehand ("you're the expert") and be too loved-up on the day to give a shit. They'll definitely want one afterwards mind.
- Use the bridesmaids and groomsmen to tell you who's who. Do you know that really sweet picture of that old guy and flowergirl? The one that you reckon will make a great spread in the album? Yeah, well he's a paedo.

Good luck ;)

class spav :lol:

I'll be visiting the church before hand for some test shots & making a check list of what shots are wanted by the couple.
Two cameras in the bag and plenty of back up batteries & SD cards.
I'm confident enough to do it so sod it, throw myself in at the deep end and make sure I get plenty of shots, that way I'm sure I'll have enough to choose from.
Oh and I think getting them to sign a disclaimer might not be a bad idea..
Looking forward to it TBH...:lol:

I've done one as a second shooter. I'll never, ever, EVER do it is the main photographer. On the day, it's 70% crowd control, 25% waiting around, 5% photography. And 100% shitting yourself that you're going to fuck it up!

The thing that I found annoying was the other guests. They'll wander right in front of you at the decisive moment with their 5mp point & shoot and get really narky if you ask them to move. They don't seem to grasp that it's not me that they're f***ing over, but the bride & groom who have paid thousands to have their special memories recorded.

Are you ready to be told you're not worth what they paid, or a dispute over your fee?

Good luck with that.

We had complaints about our wedding photographer, - bossy, control freak nazi apparently

She got some great shots, we liked her and she controlled the f***ing crowd. Fantastic as far as I was concerned. Sadly she's jacked it in now, even as a pro I don't think she could be arsed with the stress

don't waste your money. Second photographer, or tag along. Experience wins here mate.

90 percent of photographers I know that do weddings.

Well, they've died bit inside. Not all of them. But most of them. they just end up churning out the same stuff each time. most of that is down to twattish people saying it has to be like this, or not being happy with your own style etc.

I've always said if i ever do weddings, i'll only ever do the odd one and on two conditions. The photos will be in the style of my usual work and secondly id have to be paid a shit load.

There is money in it like. Girl I know basically days 20days of work a year and earns over 20k. So not all bad.

90 percent of photographers I know that do weddings.

Well, they've died bit inside. Not all of them. But most of them. they just end up churning out the same stuff each time. most of that is down to twattish people saying it has to be like this, or not being happy with your own style etc.

I've always said if i ever do weddings, i'll only ever do the odd one and on two conditions. The photos will be in the style of my usual work and secondly id have to be paid a shit load.

There is money in it like. Girl I know basically days 20days of work a year and earns over 20k. So not all bad.

For those 20 days add another 5 to each of fannying about on the computer and dealing with the punters

And there's less and less money in it

For those 20 days add another 5 to each of fannying about on the computer and dealing with the punters

And there's less and less money in it

deffo the case. round my way there are some right part timers trying to pass off as professionals. It's how I tend to get most of my work. Good honest pricing and actual good quality work. I rarely do photographic commission but when I do I make it clear to the client, they've come to me mostly because of what they've seen of my work. So Im happy meeting their criteria, but unless you're going to pay me five fold I'll usually try to in compass my style it to it all.

All the high street lot down here just seem to charge sky high prices for piss pot excuses for photography. Ive seen people pay over 100 for a canvas. The photo itself was out of focus and slightly blurred along with having things like someone in a white shirt next to a white background.

done one a couple of weeks back - not officially, so no pressure to get anything right, as you can see by the pic i entered in this month's comp, i didn't get paid or owt, just took my camera along and snapped away all day, ended up quite pleased with my efforts and the happy couple loved them too when i sent them to them.

I've done two and like clyde it was not official. I just asked if I didn't mind taking some pictures and ended up getting everyone to pose etc.

Free like, for family with little cash. The second shoot I did turned out to be as good as any 'professional' photographer.

Another family member paid for her photos and they turned out really shit. I was pissed off.

Good luck with that.

Exactly, photography is the easy part.

Also, make sure you take backups on the fly (to a laptop or whatever) and swap memory cards a lot. This might sound silly, but I've heard of a lot of wedding photography going tits up because a SD card fails.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back