Telling jokes

JAZZMANB

Striker
We'll always have comedians but are us amateur joke tellers dying out .?
I always been a joker and you tend to spot and befriend other jokers
at school, then work ,then social life etc .
It was always a buzz hearing a good joke then wanting to bump into your mate to tell it .
One Ku Club mate to this day is called Mark the joke teller
No idea on his real name .
Daft videos get shared by everyone but the gag is slowing disappearing .
It's great when you can bring out your niche jokes when the occasion arises .

Many years ago I worked at Houghton depot (for the council) and one of the lads was a joker extrodinair, every time I seen him he'd say "Will, av got a side splitter for the"
Which would make me chuckle before any joke (side splitter).

Was round some friends for dinner a few months ago and one was talking about her paintings (she's very good). I sighed and bemoaned the fact I couldn’t draw a straight line (that's a north east saying isn it) another friend said "why would you need too?" I replied, quick as you like "cos i'm a Cubist"

We howled, seriously crying laughing, probably helped by the flowing wine. Everyone else just looked at us as though we were mad. Tried to "tell" the joke again but blanks.

That's the sort of joke I love and miss those weird funny off the cuff remarks on a night out with yer mates that leave you creased.
Yesterday they were teasing me about voice assistants and saying I was too old to use them. I said I'd tried the Google voice assistant on my phone but it kept calling me Shirley. They looked puzzled until I said I must have accidentally put the phone in airplane mode, then they groaned at me 😂
See that is funny.

Last edited:
I love hearing good jokes told by mates. I like the patience that people show when they listen to an often ridiculous build-up story but they accept it and listen intently because they know it is a joke being told and a punchline is on the way.

Gervais does this brilliantly in The Office with the Duke of Edinburgh joke scene.

Yesterday they were teasing me about voice assistants and saying I was too old to use them. I said I'd tried the Google voice assistant on my phone but it kept calling me Shirley. They looked puzzled until I said I must have accidentally put the phone in airplane mode, then they groaned at me 😂
You have to be a certain age to get it though 😄
I live my life by Young Frankenstein quotes .
Every time my son gets out of the car I say " elbows " and we touch elbows

As a group in a machine repair dept. someone would tell a long joke with a pointless unfunny punchline and we would all roar with laughter! The lad who wasn’t in on it would also start laughing like hell too!
You had to be there I suppose! 😐

You have to be a certain age to get it though 😄
I live my life by Young Frankenstein quotes .
Every time my son gets out of the car I say " elbows " and we touch elbows
One of my favourite films. "GIVE HIM THE SEDAGIVE!"
Peter Boyle should have won an Oscar, he was fecking brilliant. The way he has a go at the thunder and lighting when he breaks the door down is class.
One of my favourite films. "GIVE HIM THE SEDAGIVE!"
Peter Boyle should have won an Oscar, he was fecking brilliant. The way he has a go at the thunder and lighting when he breaks the door down is class.
I've just watched the Putting' on the Ritz scene again on YouTube. Absolutely brilliant.
POOOOTIN ON THE RIIIIIITZ

"Hit it..."

Last edited:
I love hearing good jokes told by mates. I like the patience that people show when they listen to an often ridiculous build-up story but they accept it and listen intently because they know it is a joke being told and a punchline is on the way.

Gervais does this brilliantly in The Office with the Duke of Edinburgh joke scene.
I think a lot of folk don't have the attention for this and struggle to listen to an extended tale without sticking their oar in and going off at a tangent.

I was doing work for someone and I just happened to ask what his job was. He said he worked for a company that made parts for satellites. Quick as a flash I said well it's not exactly rocket science is it. He said no then started to describe what he made.
Another time in Chelsea me and my mates saw a load of police outside a hairdressers with the alarms going off. I asked the female cop if there had been a break in and she said yes. So I said "are you going to comb the area", she just gave me a death stare, miserable cow.

I was doing work for someone and I just happened to ask what his job was. He said he worked for a company that made parts for satellites. Quick as a flash I said well it's not exactly rocket science is it. He said no then started to describe what he made.
Another time in Chelsea me and my mates saw a load of police outside a hairdressers with the alarms going off. I asked the female cop if there had been a break in and she said yes. So I said "are you going to comb the area", she just gave me a death stare, miserable cow.
At least you didn't ask her what you call a WPC that shaves.... :oops:

Back