Team v Plymouth?

Not even 10am and the Ba bashing resumes 🤦‍♂️
Rained off work yesterday, so i took the opportunity to look through all 30, 10 minute extended highlights videos of our league matches so far this season. (Yes i know)

By my reckoning Ba has 3 goals, 5 assists and 2 second assists.
While Roberts stats are 0 goals, 1 assist and 2 second assists. And Roberts has played more games than Ba.
Mind in Roberts defence there are a handful of times he should have scored, and a handful of times he set somebody up who should have scored.

Something else that stood out like a beacon is not just the goals (13) and assists (9) that Clarke has, but the sheer amount of times the kid causes havoc down our left, what a talent.
And Ekwah has so many long range shots that never work !
And Anthony Patterson has made some outstanding saves.
And Bellingham get's involved in a lot of our good build up play, probably more than a lot of fans realise.

Onien in central midfield is one of the most baffling things I keep seeing on here.
But he's not central midfield, he would be in a holding role in front of the defence. It allows Neil and other midfielder more freedom to go forward. We kept getting caught by Boro when possession was lost and Ekwah was just trotting back like a Sunday stroll.

He's ideal in the holding role as he can bring the ball out and pass with both feet over a 15-20yard distance. He's ok in the air and can tackle adequately. Whereas hes clueless at centre half.
Would be exactly my team. Good to see someone who knows their football😎😉
Anyone who has watched and continues to put 09 at centre half knows sod all about football.

Last edited:
But he's not central midfield, he would be in a holding role in front of the defence. It allows Neil and other midfielder more freedom to go forward. We kept getting caught by Boro when possession was lost and Ekwah was just trotting back like a Sunday stroll.

He's ideal in the holding role as he can bring the ball out and pass with both feet over a 15-20yard distance. He's ok in the air and can tackle adequately. Whereas hes clueless at centre half.

Anyone who has watched and continues to put 09 at centre half knows sod all about football.
Has he been poor there, must of missed it. Lots think they are the IN people if they knock O'Nein.

It’s because Ekwah is utter garbage and it’s the only way to get someone with some experience in there. His range of passing and tackling is great too, his weakness is grappling in the box so take him out of the position it predominately happens in.
Ekwah is a miles better footballer

Onien in central midfield is one of the most baffling things I keep seeing on here.
I mean it's not that baffling really. We don't have a DM in the whole squad & we've moved to 433 where that position is pretty crucial, more so than when playing 4231. People are wondering if our ball playing CB who used to be a midfielder could fill that role & allow our talented young midfielders more freedom & allow the promising CB we signed in the summer to come into the side.
The only baffling thing for me is why our dof has completely ignored that position for 3 or 4 windows now, if hadn't nobody would be suggesting O'Nien play there.

Way I see it is if you have a ball playing CB in a 4231 the theory is he brings it out of defence rather than one of the 2 CM's having to drop deep to come & get it allowing them to push up further & allowing you to play 2 8's rather than one or both being a 6. I think that's why Mowbray wanted O'Nien at CB because he knew he didn't have a natural DM & 4231 was obviously his preferred system.

But now we have Beale he prefers 433. That system requires a DM sat in front of the defence & he collects from the defence, it's essentially the job O'Nien is doing now only a few yards further forwards.

I agree with this just not the clueless at CB bit. I think he's doing really well there but it is a strong position for us whereas we have no one for the DM position so I like you would like to see him tried there with Seelt alongside Ballard.
Look it might not work & if it doesn't we move on & make it a priority position to fill in the next window (should have been a priority last 3 windows) but it should be tried imo.

Rained off work yesterday, so i took the opportunity to look through all 30, 10 minute extended highlights videos of our league matches so far this season. (Yes i know)

By my reckoning Ba has 3 goals, 5 assists and 2 second assists.
While Roberts stats are 0 goals, 1 assist and 2 second assists. And Roberts has played more games than Ba.
Mind in Roberts defence there are a handful of times he should have scored, and a handful of times he set somebody up who should have scored.

Something else that stood out like a beacon is not just the goals (13) and assists (9) that Clarke has, but the sheer amount of times the kid causes havoc down our left, what a talent.
And Ekwah has so many long range shots that never work !
And Anthony Patterson has made some outstanding saves.
And Bellingham get's involved in a lot of our good build up play, probably more than a lot of fans realise.
Brilliant analysis! The thing I think we look a much better team when Roberts is playing even if he is less "effective" than Ba. I also think he gives the other team more to think about which may just create a little more space for others and especially Clarke
I'm shocked he's dropped/resting Bellingham but the lad does need a break

Last edited:

Back