Team v Plymouth?

I mean it's not that baffling really. We don't have a DM in the whole squad & we've moved to 433 where that position is pretty crucial, more so than when playing 4231. People are wondering if our ball playing CB who used to be a midfielder could fill that role & allow our talented young midfielders more freedom & allow the promising CB we signed in the summer to come into the side.
The only baffling thing for me is why our dof has completely ignored that position for 3 or 4 windows now, if hadn't nobody would be suggesting O'Nien play there.

Way I see it is if you have a ball playing CB in a 4231 the theory is he brings it out of defence rather than one of the 2 CM's having to drop deep to come & get it allowing them to push up further & allowing you to play 2 8's rather than one or both being a 6. I think that's why Mowbray wanted O'Nien at CB because he knew he didn't have a natural DM & 4231 was obviously his preferred system.

But now we have Beale he prefers 433. That system requires a DM sat in front of the defence & he collects from the defence, it's essentially the job O'Nien is doing now only a few yards further forwards.

I agree with this just not the clueless at CB bit. I think he's doing really well there but it is a strong position for us whereas we have no one for the DM position so I like you would like to see him tried there with Seelt alongside Ballard.
Look it might not work & if it doesn't we move on & make it a priority position to fill in the next window (should have been a priority last 3 windows) but it should be tried imo.
Thought the team that finished today in midfield was much more balanced.
Neil sitting deep with Bellingham and Rigg either side in more advanced roles looked good. Mundle wide on the right deserves a start. Ekwah again for me was too pedestrian in midfield when we lost possession. Didn’t get near Forshaw at all. Rigg came on and didn’t give him an inch. Was impressed with Hardie for them as well. Very cool taking his goal and nearly made it two lobbing Patterson from halfway.
All in all it was better today.

Thought the team that finished today in midfield was much more balanced.
Neil sitting deep with Bellingham and Rigg either side in more advanced roles looked good. Mundle wide on the right deserves a start. Ekwah again for me was too pedestrian in midfield when we lost possession. Didn’t get near Forshaw at all. Rigg came on and didn’t give him an inch. Was impressed with Hardie for them as well. Very cool taking his goal and nearly made it two lobbing Patterson from halfway.
All in all it was better today.
Agree the shape was good but as capable as Neil is at sitting (he's that good i think you could play him anywhere & he'd stand out) wouldn't it be nice if we had Forshaw for example doing that & allowing Neil & one other to push on. Not saying I'd have signed Forshaw, I think he's exactly the type we need but he's another made of crisps although that's still better than what we've got in that position ie nobody.
Hardie I've admired for some time. I was at Fulham when Stewart went down injured & you could see it wasn't good. Turned round to my dad & said won't happen but I'd slap a bid straight in for Hardie to replace him.

Agree the shape was good but as capable as Neil is at sitting (he's that good i think you could play him anywhere & he'd stand out) wouldn't it be nice if we had Forshaw for example doing that & allowing Neil & one other to push on. Not saying I'd have signed Forshaw, I think he's exactly the type we need but he's another made of crisps although that's still better than what we've got in that position ie nobody.
Hardie I've admired for some time. I was at Fulham when Stewart went down injured & you could see it wasn't good. Turned round to my dad & said won't happen but I'd slap a bid straight in for Hardie to replace him.
I've never heard of him tbh. Very impressed with him today. 👍

I've never heard of him tbh. Very impressed with him today. 👍
I started taking an interest in their games when we were in league one & watched their games on tv or highlights because there was a lot of talk surrounding Jephcott at the time. Was rumours we were interested as well as a whole host of clubs. Anyway, it was quickly obvious clubs were looking at the wrong man as Hardie was by far the better striker. Always been impressed with his movement & finishing in that league & thought he could make the step up. He'd score 15/20 in our side I'm sure of it.
No idea what happened to Jephcott, don't even know if he's still there but safe to say he hasn't progressed as some obviously thought he would.

Also struggles to bring a ball under control often taking 3-4 touches before he gets tackled. Turns like a bus and lacks any urgency. I agree he shouldn’t need a rest. Personally think he’s just isn’t all that. Granted he’s 18 and can improve, but at the minute he’s a problem.
:lol:

Today shows that Jobe is the best 10 we have by a country mile.

Back