'Teacher' too stupid to be a real teacher

QUOTE="PeteFTM, post: 39249338, member: 39805"]
What a belting news story, it’s so important that rare events like this are covered
On its own it's a non story, however if the app is to blame then they'll be a lot more people being fined unfairly. Then it becomes a story

I do wonder if they bring these things in knowing it increases the chances of public making mistakes which increases fines. Like with parking now requiring drivers to key in reg number, and loads accidentally mistype a digit.

Still, digital is great, get rid of cash, make sure you have a card, a phone, your glasses - even if you don't usually wear them - to read the fine print. Will they refund the parking charge they incorrectly took from her? If their app doesn't work properly they need to sort it out.

To be fair to the lass, its a mistake anyone could make having read that article.
I'm pretty sure the app prompts you to check the code so you are paying for the right location. Presumably she failed to heed that
Still, digital is great, get rid of cash, make sure you have a card, a phone, your glasses - even if you don't usually wear them - to read the fine print. Will they refund the parking charge they incorrectly took from her? If their app doesn't work properly they need to sort it out.
The app does work properly. It's very easy to use

If it is so clever why has it found the wrong parking bay
She has obviously allowed it to go off her GPS instead of manually choosing a location. GPS on your phone is only accurate to a point, and that's why the app days to check. The starting point even asks you for a code from the street signage.

I do have some sympathy as it reads like she actually paid more than it should have been anyway, so she clearly isn't dishonest and the council should void the fine in my opinion. But it isn't the fault of the app.

She has obviously allowed it to go off her GPS instead of manually choosing a location. GPS on your phone is only accurate to a point, and that's why the app days to check. The starting point even asks you for a code from the street signage.

I do have some sympathy as it reads like she actually paid more than it should have been anyway, so she clearly isn't dishonest and the council should void the fine in my opinion. But it isn't the fault of the app.
I am exaggerating for effect I suppose, I just find the rush to everything digital, which is sold to us as some kind of perfection, a bit dishonest. They apply no leeway for what are honest mistakes, the same as people getting parking tickets for mistyping one digit of their number plate.

She's used the app they signed up to, let the app find here location and then paid the fee the app asked for.

Yes, she could have double checked the location picked up correctly, but you shouldn't need to double check when the app is supposed to do this.
The Avenue,the code that was picked up,is as far away from Old elvet as you can get in Durham. Don't know how It's picked that one up TBH.

Exact same thing happened to me at roker. Paid against the wrong car park which the app picked up as closest. Wrote to SCC and they cancelled the fine.
And for clarity, I’m not stupid, was just in a rush!

Something else that's a little interesting is in the article. The parking attendant said that app payments don't always show up on their system. Wonder how many people have to go through the appeal process because the attendants system didn't show their payment?

It's also a case of pushing tech onto older folk who aren't as comfortable with it as the younger generation. Dunno if this was one these locations where its app only, but if it was then just highlights another reason there should be an option for a proper meter that issues physical tickets.

There is a four digit code written in big letters all around the car park. When you open the app it asks for a four digit code.

It's one of the easiest most convenient apps out there saves loads of time

The Avenue,the code that was picked up,is as far away from Old elvet as you can get in Durham. Don't know how It's picked that one up TBH.
Thing is, I know Durham a bit, but I wouldn't know that "The Avenue" isn't close to/ part of Old Elvet either.

If someone's made a genuine attempt to pay for parking using the app that the parking owners have signed up to, then there should be at least a reasonable discussion, not an fine and appeal rejected out of hand imo.

Why the embarrassed face?

Think it's a very easy mistake for her to have made. Not sure why the OP is publicly shaming her.
She publicly shamed herself by going to the papers to highlight her mistake.
My main point in the OP was about the Chronicle suggesting she was a teacher when she's a yoga instructor.
The apps are fairly simple. They give you some suggested car parks based on your location but it is up to you to select the right one. Or you could use the QR code on the machine.
The parking company could have given her the benefit of the doubt and gave her a refund but it's her mistake and she should suck it up instead of twisting to the papers.

When parking in the city center I always check the number matches the meter as parking rates are different and since parking locations are so close it can pick up the wrong location.

I am sure it even asks to confirm your location before paying.

Next thing will be parking app is tracking me to my exact location help it’s stalking me I feel threatened.

I'm no technophobe but when I did a pay by phone for parking for the first time recently I found it far from straight forward.

No matter what the circumstances I'm going to be on the side of the person parking. I had a run in with Parking Eye some years ago who tried to fine me for dropping my car off for a service. Fortunately the AA service centre dealt with it as I had read the horror stories people have had trying to deal with these people. All the systems are geared up to accepting payments and dispute handling is nigh on impossible.

Back