Tado/Nest/Hive thermostat & TRVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've had the Hive thermostat installed for a month and so far I'm very happy with it. Time will tell how much much money it saves.

Next step is to replace the radiator valves. At present all but one of them are old-style non-thermostatic valves.

Quick bump.

3 days a week, I'm the only person in my office (used to be the garage). Its fairly well insulated (proper conversion).
Starting to think about how best to heat this room.

Plus, its mad that we heat 4 bedrooms and an upstairs bathroom all day, when there's nobody up there from 8am until about 3.30pm. Seems like an utter waste of money every day.

Seems like smart TRVs are what I need? Then I can create a profile for each room of the house.

Unfortunately, I have a Nest thermostat, which doesn't work with smart TRVs. Stupid Google wankers. I really don't fancy paying a subscription either, I hate all that shite.
Easy enough job to switch out all the TRVs in the house. Although I'd have to fit new valves to the 2 rads in the living room

Or is it a massive waste of cash, and I should just use an lecky oil-filled rad in my study on those 3 days, and sack the heating off for those days?
You can zone up and down with zoning valves. TRVs will help with individual room controls, you can get cheap ones that work on a timer which do a job.

I would be tempted to just ride out the hourly temporary high cost of gas with a room radiator.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTR
Got Hive, it’s ok the zoned heating is ok but kind of makes the fancy shiney thermostat a bit redundant as if it was a bit cold and you turned it up it doesn’t turn up the trvs. The trvs can call for heat and fire the boiler up though. We just use it on a schedule.

Hive here. It’s fine but as others have said I want to be able to only hear part of the house, but I have to heat the whole thing. It’s good I can take the thermostat up to my office when I’m working but it still heats downstairs.

Looked into different zones but it was going to cost an arm and a leg. I don’t have the radiator valves and they’re summat like £60 each. I have too many radiators.
Aye bit of a rip for the valves. When I got mine I managed to snag 5 for somet like 125 or 150. Rarely come up in deals anymore, probs cos people are buying them so no need to discount them.
My Hive has just stopped working after 2 years
You tried running the troubleshooter? Do you know what part isn’t working?

I couldn’t set up smart actions and it was a fault when they updated the app so I had to uninstall then reinstall and it fixed it.

Last edited:
Got Hive, it’s ok the zoned heating is ok but kind of makes the fancy shiney thermostat a bit redundant as if it was a bit cold and you turned it up it doesn’t turn up the trvs. The trvs can call for heat and fire the boiler up though. We just use it on a schedule.
That would be it, I wouldn't really want a single thermostat at all anymore. I'd want each radiator to tell the boiler when to fire up on their own schedule

I went with Drayton Wiser and wireless TRVs. Temperature profile for each room and you can do a boost either via the app or a quick twist of the knob on the valve. Pleased with it so far.

Reactions: PTR
You tried running the troubleshooter? Do you know what part isn’t working?

I couldn’t set up smart actions and it was a fault when they updated the app so I had to uninstall then reinstall and it fixed it.
[/QUOTE]
Hive said it was a hardware fault and offered me a replacement for £30 I’m going to try and reinstall before I fork out thanks for the tip

Reactions: The
Turned me heating off entirely today.
Put this massive pullover / smock / fleece thing the missus bought me for xmas. tbh, been pretty warm all day. Could just about get away with this I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back