Tado/Nest/Hive thermostat & TRVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hive TVRs are pretty good value on their website, about £30 each. I'm really tempted to go for it but I've seen lots of negative comments about the firmware and the fact that they require non-rechargeable batteries that don't last very long. It's not obvious if these were problems with earlier devices so would appreciate an honest opinion.

Hive TVRs are pretty good value on their website, about £30 each. I'm really tempted to go for it but I've seen lots of negative comments about the firmware and the fact that they require non-rechargeable batteries that don't last very long. It's not obvious if these were problems with earlier devices so would appreciate an honest opinion.
The Hive thermostat needs non-rechargeable batteries and I’ve has them in a year and three months and they’ve not needed changed yet.

But it’s a good point if I need two AA batteries per TRV, tbh.

The Hive thermostat needs non-rechargeable batteries and I’ve has them in a year and three months and they’ve not needed changed yet.

But it’s a good point if I need two AA batteries per TRV, tbh.
why would they even know if you've used non-rechargable batteries?

That used to be a claim loads of people made 10+ years ago, but ime, it was totally unfounded

Just had a new boiler and hive installed. How is it meant to control the heating cos the radiators are on and there’s heat but the app or thermostat won’t actually turn the heating off.
Just had a new boiler and hive installed. How is it meant to control the heating cos the radiators are on and there’s heat but the app or thermostat won’t actually turn the heating off.
Ignore. Hives being wired up wrang😆

Last edited:
why would they even know if you've used non-rechargable batteries?

That used to be a claim loads of people made 10+ years ago, but ime, it was totally unfounded

Rechargeables deliver a pretty consistent 1.2v as they discharge. Alkalines kick out 1.5v but their voltage drops as they discharge/age. Seemingly, these devices do not seem happy operating at 1.2v so rechargeables are no good and regular alkalines stop working when they still have plenty of power.

Last edited:
Rechargeables deliver a pretty consistent 1.2v as they discharge. Alkalines kick out 1.5v but their voltage drops as they discharge/age. Seemingly, these devices do not seem happy operating at 1.2v so rechargeables are no good and regular alkalines stop working when they still have plenty of power.

I use rechargables in mine (Danfoss) They work but are always complaining about low battery.

Sounds like a very, er, interesting design choice!

Ignore. Hives being wired up wrang😆
Perfect on a day like this and with energy prices the way they are.

Probs used about £100 worth of gas yesterday,it was at about 84c on the boiler for a good few hours. Thankfully easy fixed, just swapped one wire over.
Apologies, just realised it was yesterday. A little cooler I suppose.

Quick bump.

3 days a week, I'm the only person in my office (used to be the garage). Its fairly well insulated (proper conversion).
Starting to think about how best to heat this room.

Plus, its mad that we heat 4 bedrooms and an upstairs bathroom all day, when there's nobody up there from 8am until about 3.30pm. Seems like an utter waste of money every day.

Seems like smart TRVs are what I need? Then I can create a profile for each room of the house.

Unfortunately, I have a Nest thermostat, which doesn't work with smart TRVs. Stupid Google wankers. I really don't fancy paying a subscription either, I hate all that shite.
Easy enough job to switch out all the TRVs in the house. Although I'd have to fit new valves to the 2 rads in the living room

Or is it a massive waste of cash, and I should just use an lecky oil-filled rad in my study on those 3 days, and sack the heating off for those days?

Quick bump.

3 days a week, I'm the only person in my office (used to be the garage). Its fairly well insulated (proper conversion).
Starting to think about how best to heat this room.

Plus, its mad that we heat 4 bedrooms and an upstairs bathroom all day, when there's nobody up there from 8am until about 3.30pm. Seems like an utter waste of money every day.

Seems like smart TRVs are what I need? Then I can create a profile for each room of the house.

Unfortunately, I have a Nest thermostat, which doesn't work with smart TRVs. Stupid Google wankers. I really don't fancy paying a subscription either, I hate all that shite.
Easy enough job to switch out all the TRVs in the house. Although I'd have to fit new valves to the 2 rads in the living room

Or is it a massive waste of cash, and I should just use an lecky oil-filled rad in my study on those 3 days, and sack the heating off for those days?

Seems like you can use smart TRVs with nest?

Nest Thermostat Radiator Actuator TRV Programmable Thermostatic Radiator Valve App Remote Temperature Controller (Color : 1pc TV02, Size : S) https://amzn.eu/d/3Ad3Xvj

I have hive ones on all of mine and set each room to an individual schedule. They’ve definitely saved what I spent on them.

Seems like you can use smart TRVs with nest?

Nest Thermostat Radiator Actuator TRV Programmable Thermostatic Radiator Valve App Remote Temperature Controller (Color : 1pc TV02, Size : S) https://amzn.eu/d/3Ad3Xvj

I have hive ones on all of mine and set each room to an individual schedule. They’ve definitely saved what I spent on them.
Just starting to get into it, and reading Google discontinued the "integrated support". But could be wrong.

Mind, on that link, it says Nest, but nowhere does it explain how it works with nest. It seems to have its own control hub and its own app.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back