Sydney Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovemore

Midfield
Sat here watching it live on Oz tv. Carl Robinson managing western Sydney. For an A-league game it’s not too bad, but the standard in general is woeful I find. Often wonder if the A-league is on par with league one? Anyone who watches us and the A league regularly confirm this?

I like that terrestrial tv here is commited to at least one live game per week. think that should be the case in the uk. A 3pm Saturday kick off on the bbc would be class.

Still got my Queensland Roar top from when I visited years ago. Then they changed it to Brisbane. Standard is pretty poor but always looks class cos of the weather. I miss Australia.

It’s better than league one.

Sat here watching it live on Oz tv. Carl Robinson managing western Sydney. For an A-league game it’s not too bad, but the standard in general is woeful I find. Often wonder if the A-league is on par with league one? Anyone who watches us and the A league regularly confirm this?

I like that terrestrial tv here is commited to at least one live game per week. think that should be the case in the uk. A 3pm Saturday kick off on the bbc would be class.

bbc had 3pm matches after the footy restarted but got pulled on the last round of matches because of Amazon

Still got my Queensland Roar top from when I visited years ago. Then they changed it to Brisbane. Standard is pretty poor but always looks class cos of the weather. I miss Australia.

It’s better than league one.
Is it. Jesus!
bbc had 3pm matches after the footy restarted but got pulled on the last round of matches because of Amazon
Yeah, I’m thinking more an ongoing treat for the masses who pay for their license.

Last edited:
League 2 or National League standard would be my guess since the conveyor belt of local talent dried up......not really sure why that's happened either.

You're absolutely right, are there any Ozzies in the PL?, not many in the Championship. The supply line has dried up.
Matt Ryan at Brighton is the last one according to this:

And it looks like he was dropped after the 3-0 loss to Leicester and has been told they won’t stop him if he wants to leave:

When I was ower there five years back I attended a Boxing Day game Sydney v Central Coast Mariners. Twas in the big stadium by the cricket pitch past KX off Oxford Rd/St heading towards Bondi Beach. Not sure which Sydney team they were but I’d say L2 at best.
CCM were bottom of the league and Roy O Donovan “played” for up front on his own for them. It was 30 mins in before I realised who he was. He never touched the ball for the rest of the game. He may have touched it previously but I wouldn’t bet on it. They were a bad team so it wasn’t solely his fault. There’s people on here still defend Keane anarl.

When I was ower there five years back I attended a Boxing Day game Sydney v Central Coast Mariners. Twas in the big stadium by the cricket pitch past KX off Oxford Rd/St heading towards Bondi Beach. Not sure which Sydney team they were but I’d say L2 at best.
CCM were bottom of the league and Roy O Donovan “played” for up front on his own for them. It was 30 mins in before I realised who he was. He never touched the ball for the rest of the game. He may have touched it previously but I wouldn’t bet on it. They were a bad team so it wasn’t solely his fault. There’s people on here still defend Keane anarl.
That stadium has been demolished now to make way for a new one they're building. It was Sydney FC home ground. The mariners have been perennial wooden spooners for a few years now.

I've not watched much in the last couple of years but when I did what struck me was how much time on the ball you had in the A League. I reckon most would struggle to make it in L1. L2 standard at the very best.

That stadium has been demolished now to make way for a new one they're building. It was Sydney FC home ground. The mariners have been perennial wooden spooners for a few years now.
Has it? Where do they play now?
I liked it around there. Preferred the other side of Oxford Rd/St. Walkable to City centre and sports stuff, few pubs on Oxford Rd/St, crackin Italian down backstreet, cinema, couple of book shops, loads of independent woman’s clothes shops with some absolute stunning totty wandering around em. Semi bohemian, literate, stylish and arty. Just like mesel!

Has it? Where do they play now?
I liked it around there. Preferred the other side of Oxford Rd/St. Walkable to City centre and sports stuff, few pubs on Oxford Rd/St, crackin Italian down backstreet, cinema, couple of book shops, loads of independent woman’s clothes shops with some absolute stunning totty wandering around em. Semi bohemian, literate, stylish and arty. Just like mesel!
They move it around a few smaller grounds that wouldn't normally get a look in. They might even play games outside of Sydney, sometimes down in Wollongong. They are always looking for ways to gain supporters over the other big sports here Rugby League or AFL so if the chance arises to play a game in one of these places it just gives them a foothold in that area.
The new stadium will be in the same spot as the old one. It's about a 10-15 min drive for me. The area you're on about is Paddington and it's always been cracking for the pubs around there. That's the problem the bigger Olympic stadium has out at Homebush. They've tried building pubs and hotels out on the site but you just can't recreate that inner city atmosphere that the SFS(Sydney Football Stadium) and SCG have. Their proximity to the Paddington pubs and the city make it much more attractive for the city workers and corporate money.

They move it around a few smaller grounds that wouldn't normally get a look in. They might even play games outside of Sydney, sometimes down in Wollongong. They are always looking for ways to gain supporters over the other big sports here Rugby League or AFL so if the chance arises to play a game in one of these places it just gives them a foothold in that area.
The new stadium will be in the same spot as the old one. It's about a 10-15 min drive for me. The area you're on about is Paddington and it's always been cracking for the pubs around there. That's the problem the bigger Olympic stadium has out at Homebush. They've tried building pubs and hotels out on the site but you just can't recreate that inner city atmosphere that the SFS(Sydney Football Stadium) and SCG have. Their proximity to the Paddington pubs and the city make it much more attractive for the city workers and corporate money.
Cheers. Paddington eh? That’s where I’d wanna live if I was out there. Nowt flash but loads on your doorstep.

Only been to about 20 games in the last few years mostly Brisbane Roar but also a few Melbourne Victory.

Have never seen Sunderland in League 1 but from what I have seen on the telly I think Sunderland would get beat off the Roar a few years ago when Roar were well ahead of the pack.

Probably about mid table league 1 standard.

Cheers. Paddington eh? That’s where I’d wanna live if I was out there. Nowt flash but loads on your doorstep.
Pretty expensive part of the city. But lovely. Beautiful houses.
Absolutely cracking pubs. Though one of my favorites was Durty Nellys which was gentrified somewhat recently. That was a great pub when games were on at the SFS.

I admit, I’m enjoying the women’s league matches more than the A league.
more goals, better atmosphere, better arses, it’s canny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back