Sunderland

More than 1,000 people in Sunderland have died from ...

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/health/coronavirus/more-than-1000-people-in-sunderland...
Over 1,000 people in Sunderland have died from coronavirus in the last two years, according to new figures. Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that 1,080 deaths involving ...
Without comparison to cities and/or towns of a similar size and population there is no way of knowing if that figure is good, bad or just average.

"The figure is based on Covid-19 being mentioned anywhere on a death certificate."

So with Covid then.

No, that isn't correct. You're confusing the 28-day count, with the death certificate count.

If COVID is on the death certificate, then it has either caused or contributed to the patient's death in some way. Things that are incidental to a patient's death don't routinely appear on a death certificate.

People make this mistake because they don't understand a) how death certificates work and b) the difference between the 28-day count, and the death certificate count.

Regardless of what kills you, if you die within 28 days of testing positive, you'll appear on the 28 day count. If you test positive on the 5th, and get hit by a bus on the 25th, you'll appear on the 28 day count. Your death certificate won't mention COVID though.

Death certificates only mention COVID if COVID is either an underlying cause (i.e. COVID killed you directly) or a contributory factor (i.e. COVID was a factor, but not the direct or only factor).

An example of COVID being an underlying cause, is someone dying of viral pneumonia, caused by COVID-19. There, COVID would be listed as the underlying factor - COVID caused the viral pneumonia that caused the death. An example of COVID being a contributory factor, is someone dying of a stroke whilst suffering from COVID.*

Approximately 70% of death certificates published between January 1, 2022 and March 11, 2022 that mention COVID, identify COVID as the underlying cause.

*it would be interesting to hear from @rudd or someone as to what conditions people are dying of, where COVID is listed as a contributory factor in field 2 of the death certificate.

Last edited:
I was asymptomatic when I last got it.

Wonder how many are actually testing now.

I used to test regularly but don't anymore. There will be loads of people like that. It's probably rife.

Probably the governments intention when they stopped free testing kits, push it to the backs of peoples minds and open up fully.

I was asymptomatic when I last got it.

Wonder how many are actually testing now.

I used to test regularly but don't anymore. There will be loads of people like that. It's probably rife.

Probably the governments intention when they stopped free testing kits, push it to the backs of peoples minds and open up fully.

How much is it for a lateral flow test now?

How much is it for a lateral flow test now?

Free for these people:

£2 a pop from other places like boots.

Its not a massive amount, more the chew on I would say as opposed to having them delivered to your door.

I would personally still test if i didnt feel right or the people around me showed symptoms.

Free for these people:

£2 a pop from other places like boots.

Its not a massive amount, more the chew on I would say as opposed to having them delivered to your door.

I would personally still test if i didnt feel right or the people around me showed symptoms.
We get them free as wife is CEV. Used to test regularly but find the LFTs so unreliable they aren't worth bothering with imo.

I was ill at Christmas. Did LFTs every day - all negative. Knew something wasn't right so got a PCR - positive.

Was ill about a month ago, felt like utter shit and had exactly the same symptoms but all LFTs were negative. Absolutely certain I had it again but obviously there's no PCRs anymore.

I think the Lateral Flows probably do more harm than good now as people test negative on them and use it as a green light to crack on when they clearly have it, whereas they'd probably be more inclined to isolate when ill if there wasn't the option to test and use it as validation that they mustn't have it because they tested negative.

We get them free as wife is CEV. Used to test regularly but find the LFTs so unreliable they aren't worth bothering with imo.

I was ill at Christmas. Did LFTs every day - all negative. Knew something wasn't right so got a PCR - positive.

Was ill about a month ago, felt like utter shit and had exactly the same symptoms but all LFTs were negative. Absolutely certain I had it again but obviously there's no PCRs anymore.

I think the Lateral Flows probably do more harm than good now as people test negative on them and use it as a green light to crack on when they clearly have it, whereas they'd probably be more inclined to isolate when ill if there wasn't the option to test and use it as validation that they mustn't have it because they tested negative.

The only lateral flows that seemed to work (for me) where the type/batch with the small nose insert (as opposed to the long one) and the foam tip. The others didnt appear that reliable.

Without comparison to cities and/or towns of a similar size and population there is no way of knowing if that figure is good, bad or just average.
So 500 Covid deaths for one year...that's double Sunderlands flu deaths of 2018 which was a bad year, so yes, not good. However, what we don't know is how bad the 2020 / 2021 flu season would have been, but we were due a bad one.

So 500 Covid deaths for one year...that's double Sunderlands flu deaths of 2018 which was a bad year, so yes, not good. However, what we don't know is how bad the 2020 / 2021 flu season would have been, but we were due a bad one.

…and what is your source for this claim, that there were approximately 250 influenza deaths in Sunderland in 2018?

This appears to be a significantly higher figure than numbers reported by the ONS using even a rather generous definition of “flu” and appears disproportionately higher than the national average based on PHE estimates.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt but since you have form for posting complete lies and made up facts to support your arguments, I’m dubious of this claim.

Please provide your source.

…and what is your source for this claim, that there were approximately 250 influenza deaths in Sunderland in 2018?

This appears to be a significantly higher figure than numbers reported by the ONS using even a rather generous definition of “flu” and appears disproportionately higher than the national average based on PHE estimates.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt but since you have form for posting complete lies and made up facts to support your arguments, I’m dubious of this claim.

Find it yourself, it does exist. If you wan't to get a semi on the back of REAL misinformation, there's a poster on another thread advocating drinkiing bleach..problem for you is, his name is not Gelan. Follow me all you wish, but you're looking a bit of a knobhead keep repeating the same droning rhetoric, as in, Gelan's telling lies, Gelan gets banned, he doesn't give a shit what I or others think of him. You were breast fed for too long mate.

Must have been 120 under 65s who died of flu that year. Very high number indeed.

Find it yourself, it does exist. If you wan't to get a semi on the back of REAL misinformation, there's a poster on another thread advocating drinkiing bleach..problem for you is, his name is not Gelan. Follow me all you wish, but you're looking a bit of a knobhead keep repeating the same droning rhetoric, as in, Gelan's telling lies, Gelan gets banned, he doesn't give a shit what I or others think of him. You were breast fed for too long mate.

I did look it up. I was unable to verify the number you provided hence my post.

The number you’ve provided doesn’t tally with figures published by the ONS or PHE.

So please provide your source. I’m interested to see it.

Must have been 120 under 65s who died of flu that year. Very high number indeed.

That’s the most generous way of counting too since it’ll include non-flu deaths.

I did look it up. I was unable to verify the number you provided hence my post.

The number you’ve provided doesn’t tally with figures published by the ONS or PHE.

So please provide your source. I’m interested to see it.

That’s the most generous way of counting too since it’ll include non-flu deaths.
Yeah, if you're just looking at flu deaths, then 250 deaths in Sunderland should be a national scandal.

There were only 1523 flu deaths in England. So if what @Gelan is saying is correct then Sunderland accounted for 16.5% of deaths despite only having 0.49% of the population.

Influenza

England and Wales 2018 1,523

Last edited:

Back