++++++ Sunderland v Mansfield official Match thread ++++++

Couldn't afford to sack him and then pay to hire another after the first umpteen times. Given the effect that hiring successive managers has on creating a bloated, disjointed squad and, bingo, you create a club in our current situation.
So you saying we keep Johnson and keep getting beat. Ok got it

Completely mad to go from a team that was looking as good as we were three weeks ago to this. How have the wheels fallen off so quickly and so dramatically?
There’s a rabbit away somewhere.

I think we were always going to have a dip in form and go through a poor spell but this more than that, for me.

We have been hammered a few times recently. Not just beaten but absolutely paggered.

Then that performance today … some of those players simply couldn’t give a toss. So little effort it was a disgrace.

There’s something fundamentally wrong at the moment.

Spent about 50quid today with 3 kids to watch that shite,
My 15 Yr old daughter, who watched the second half of me in the over 40s this morning said we passed it quicker and ran around more

When you read that and can't tell whether she was being 100% truthful or tongue in cheek you know there's something up with our level of "performance".

I think we were always going to have a dip in form and go through a poor spell but this more than that, for me.

We have been hammered a few times recently. Not just beaten but absolutely paggered.

Then that performance today … some of those players simply couldn’t give a toss. So little effort it was a disgrace.

1 nil flatters us aswell
When you read that and can't tell whether she was being 100% truthful or tongue in cheek you know there's something up with our level of "performance".
She plays aswell mate and she was being serious

I'm 51. It does look like a relegation team at the moment. Obviously we won't be relegated but our aim isn't to not be relegated.

I've got a grip. And I'd guess you aren't one of us.
Your guess is way off the truth. You might understand when you've spent another 22 years supporting this club. The last manager to successfully build a young side, Alan Brown, needed six years to succeed. Ive followed Sunderland week in week out since then and I know that any manager will need more than the average nine months gestation period most fans on here are prepared to offer. If something desperate has developed regarding relationships between players and manager, then perhaps a change will need to be made. Otherwise, I’ve had more than enough of constant change leading to constant short term hope, followed by constant failure.

I agree with all that.
Some young players have just signed long and potentially lucrative contracts, but there were four 'senior professionals' on the pitch today who are out of contract in the summer. This is not an easy thing to manage, and perhaps LJ should recognise that and get them paid off and replaced in the window and use the kids in the meantime.
WE seem not to have a plan B when Plan A isn't working.
The lack of controlled aggression- appealing decisions- backing up teammates- earning the right to play etc.- is letting shithouse teams and managers cost us points.
There seems to be a lack of organisation at set pieces (perhaps related to my first point).
It's not one problem, and LJ needs to get on it quick.

Last edited:
His talk afterwards hoys everyone under the bus but himself.

Talks about players being overawed by the club.
Lacking confidence.

He's doing everything 'in house' to raise them but maybe the externals things like "social media and fans forums" are bringing them down.

On the goal:

"You can't justify a technical error like that".

Last edited:
His talk afterwards hoys everyone under the bus but himself.

Talks about players being overawed by the club.
Lacking confidence.

He's doing everything 'in house' to raise them but maybe the externals things like "social media and fans forums" are bringing them down.

On the goal:

"You can't justify a technical error like that".
Can't justify not be able to buy a goal.... looks like the real issue maybe he's lost the dress room?

Your guess is way off the truth. You might understand when you've spent another 22 years supporting this club. The last manager to successfully build a young side, Alan Brown, needed six years to succeed. Ive followed Sunderland week in week out since then and I know that any manager will need more than the average nine months gestation period most fans on here are prepared to offer. If something desperate has developed regarding relationships between players and manager, then perhaps a change will need to be made. Otherwise, I’ve had more than enough of constant change leading to constant short term hope, followed by constant failure.
You think my guess is way off the truth. Nothing more and nothing less.

I can't defend today's performance. We'll agree on that, and we'll agree that we both hope you're wrong about the manager too.
There was a thread bumped from the day he was appointed and someone listed his finishes as a manager - 13th, 15th, 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th etc. effectively showing that his record was average to poor and expressing surprise that we went for him. The view was, well his record is not great but he's a good coach. Last year he got a lot out of Wyke to his credit, at the moment O'Nien is underperforming, Gooch is under performing, Cirkin has gone backwards etc. He's definitely not getting the players to play to their potential. Add into the utter shapelessness of today and tuesday. He played a 3 man midfield on Tuesday and the got the team going long an bypassing the midfield. Today I would defy anyone to explain what the plan was.

So, you have said before he's a talented coach. Well I would ask based on what? We simply aren't seeing anything from him and it just gets me thinking of phrases like Emperor's new clothes or thinking he talks Champions League and delivers Conference standards. I'm not trying to be funny or arsey but I just can't see why he got the job and what his strengths are.

Abysmal and disgusting
We are not even creating opportunities against lower league opponents
They could have been 2 or 3 up at half time
I can only remember for us the first half header
In the second half there was an effort that rattled the top of the bar a good block by their defence and the the very late effort that crashed the bar again
4 efforts against a league two team in the whole game is pathetic

I agree with all that.
Some young players have just signed long and potentially lucrative contracts, but there were four 'senior professionals' on the pitch today who are out of contract in the summer. This is not an easy thing to manage, and perhaps LJ should recognise that and get them paid off and replaced in the window and use the kids in the meantime.
WE seem not to have a plan B when Plan A isn't working.
The lack of controlled aggression- appealing decisions- backing up teammates- earning the right to play etc.- is letting shithouse teams and managers cost us points.
There seems to be a lack of organisation at set pieces (perhaps related to my first point).
It's not one problem, and LJ needs to get on it quick.
He mentioned "talking to senior professionals who were in the same position in this fixture last year" and that he is 'learnimg'
One obvious lesson is that none of them should start a game for this club ever again. Eight league games until the window. Find a way to keep clean sheets in half of them, and get the recruitment team on to finding replacements (or getting Patterson back maybe)

Is this knacker really the best manager the richest owners outside the Premier League could bring in?
Who are they then ?
Not arguing about how poor this was, but we fielded a keeper that lost us a bundle of points last season instead of Hoffman, and didn't start with Cirkin or Winchester in front of him. Gooch and Onien were also on the bench, who although poor lately are both normally LJ first teamers.
maybe first teamers but both shite

Back