Sunderland railway station.

It's a hole. Literally and Figuratively. 16m might get a slightly nicer building on top of the hole but it will still be a hole. When TfL need to upgrade the buildings and holes their underground runs in they start at £100m or so then beg for a grant when it hits 3 times that.

Kinds cross refurb cost 500m as a benchmark

The London Bridge and Reading rebuilds were about a billion each but both are far better than they used to be

Sunderland station must be one the grimmest in the country - especially one for a major city - but £16m is only going to pay for a new coat of paint.

The London Bridge and Reading rebuilds were about a billion each but both are far better than they used to be

Sunderland station must be one the grimmest in the country - especially one for a major city - but £16m is only going to pay for a new coat of paint.
Old London Bridge was a disaster mind. I used that for best part of 10y and it was like visiting crowtree twice a day

Saw this on another site and it’s 20 million and I would be happy with this design

Or for £50m you could have Cambridge North

The proposed Cambridge South is looking like being £200m.

I wonder how much it would cost to build a new station at the civic, where the line splits? It would give four platforms for a start, and would have easier access for cars.

The station site could be then sold off to a developer, and the money used against the cost of the new build.

(Not going to happen of course, but might be better than a lick of paint to a grim underground experience.)

Back