Sunderland railway station.

Realistically is 16 million a lot for a construction project? Or will it literally just be a facelift.

They spent over £20 million on Liverpool Central Station a few years ago which was not that dis-similar to Sunderland, and that was just a facelift, nicer, but no major changes especially at the lower platform level.

Sunderland station had 441k passengers last year. That’s less than Morpeth, 100k ahead of Metrocentre and a mere 8m or so behind Newcastle. Someone mentioned Haymarket, that pulled in 5m a year and Liverpool Central...14.6 million. Sunderland has minimal usage.

The point is it can be as pretty as it wants but if people neither want to travel to Sunderland or the station doesn’t have services where people want to go then it’s utterly pointless investing unless it’s infrastructure or improved services. That’s where the money needs to go.

Last edited:
Sunderland station had 441k passengers last year. That’s less than Morpeth, 100k ahead of Metrocentre and a mere 8m or so behind Newcastle. Someone mentioned Haymarket, that pulled in 5m a year and Liverpool Central...14.6 million. Sunderland has minimal usage.

The point is it can be as pretty as it wants but if people neither want to travel to Sunderland or the station doesn’t have services where people want to go then it’s utterly pointless investing unless it’s infrastructure or improved services. That’s where the money needs to go.

Do those figures include the Metro ? I find them highly dubious as Morpeth has a crap train service so they must be packed to the gunnels.

Do those figures include the Metro ? I find them highly dubious as Morpeth has a crap train service so they must be packed to the gunnels.

Believe so as Haymarket is solely metro. Figures are from here Estimates of station usage | ORR Data Portal

Morpeth has a better service than Sunderland tbf, direct links to London and Edinburgh plus local services and postcovid both TPE and the new open access EastCoast operator will stop there.

The best thing for Sunderland rail is to look to services south out of the city centre. Anything going north get slowed down by the living hell called the metro

The focus for the infrastructure, road rail and the port should be looking southerly connecting to the Durham coast line and A19

Believe so as Haymarket is solely metro. Figures are from here Estimates of station usage | ORR Data Portal

Morpeth has a better service than Sunderland tbf, direct links to London and Edinburgh plus local services and postcovid both TPE and the new open access EastCoast operator will stop there.

I still can't fathom it.

This is the local service between Morpeth and Newcastle.

Historically on the North Eastern Railway, Sunderland used to be second only to Newcastle in terms of tickets sold and way more than York. I guess it mirrors the decline of Sunderland if it is less than Morpeth.

I still can't fathom it.

Historically on the North Eastern Railway, Sunderland used to be second only to Newcastle in terms of tickets sold and way more than York. I guess it mirrors the decline of Sunderland if it is less than Morpeth.

I haven't been to Morpeth in many years but I would imagine that it would be a convenient place to commute into Newcastle with good road and rail links. I doubt that many people commute to or from Sunderland central station.

I haven't been to Morpeth in many years but I would imagine that it would be a convenient place to commute into Newcastle with good road and rail links. I doubt that many people commute to or from Sunderland central station.

You don't think many people commute between Sunderland and Newcastle on the frequent Metro service ? :-O

You don't think many people commute between Sunderland and Newcastle on the frequent Metro service ? :-O

Off topic but out of interest as I know your are the Train guru....
Has the port used the railway line yet? I’ve seen the odd engine there when it was first reinstalled but ain’t seen anything for donkeys. Just wondering if it has a regular shuttle or once in a blue moon?

Off topic but out of interest as I know your are the Train guru....
Has the port used the railway line yet? I’ve seen the odd engine there when it was first reinstalled but ain’t seen anything for donkeys. Just wondering if it has a regular shuttle or once in a blue moon?

No idea as I don't live in the area any more. The recent Fisheries Act includes a mention of "improving port infrastructure" so we may see some developments but I wouldn't put money on it.

I still can't fathom it.

This is all a bit over my head but seems they have changed some form of methodology in determining station usage (pg11 section 3.3). Based on the revised methodology there was 42% decrease in usage of the station.

But they can now start their (metro) journeys either side of Sunderland station. Before the metro you had to commence your journey from the station. Are people now driving more rather than using the train.

Last edited:
But they can now start their (metro) journeys either side of Sunderland station. Before the metro you had to commence your journey from the station. Are people now driving more rather than using the train.

The problem with Sunderland station is that it has no long stay car parking or any useful car parking for that matter, you access it via a back lane and its a hole. So people drive to Durham or Newcastle and numbers drop; perhaps if we had decent services and a connection to Durham or an upgraded Durham coast line then numbers would grow but its catch22, fewer numbers give network rail an excuse not to spend money but unless we have a decent station and services, the taxi firms will be busy whizzing back and forth to Durham / Newcastle. I find the station so depressing I get on at park Lane so i dont have to use it.

Last edited:

Back