Sunderland music thread

I was there and it was tremendous, never heard of them until about 2 months ago but think they've got a real chance of making it, some cracking tunes.
Aye. I was there and they sounded as good live as they do on record. Fantastic gig. I’ve been following them all lockdown. They’re the best Sunderland band I’ve heard and I’m 52 this week.

May be of interest to some: Cabbage playing at the Peacock on Saturday night (apparently their farewell tour before agreeing to split). Supported by Sunderland bands Roxy Girls and Point Blanc.

Tickets
Had tickets for the original, cancelled 18/12/21 gig at the Riverside.
Having just moved to the area (Whitley Bay) I haven't been to Sunderland City centre yet, so can anyone please help with the following queries :-

1. What is the Peacock like as a venue ? Can you stand ?
2. Having to get the Metro back to W/Bay, how long does it take from Sunderland Metro station (presume it's the nearest one to the Peacock ?) to Pelaw ? It looks like you have to change at Pelaw to get the Metro back to W/Bay ?
3. Recommend 2/3 good pubs that serve Real Ale ? Does the Peacock sell Real Ale ?

Thanks for all help with this as still finding my way around the area.
Cheers...

Having just moved to the area (Whitley Bay) I haven't been to Sunderland City centre yet, so can anyone please help with the following queries :-

2. Having to get the Metro back to W/Bay, how long does it take from Sunderland Metro station (presume it's the nearest one to the Peacock ?) to Pelaw ? It looks like you have to change at Pelaw to get the Metro back to W/Bay ?
3. Recommend 2/3 good pubs that serve Real Ale ? Does the Peacock sell Real Ale ?

Cheers...
Welcome to the NE mate.

1. Peacock is a traditional pub with an upstairs function room - all standing, capacity just over 200 I think. This will be my first gig there since it was refurbished a couple of years ago (used to be called the Londonderry or Derry to some) so can't say much more, but I've been in the downstairs pub from time to time and it's good.
2. Nearest Metro is Sunderland, yes - to Pelaw about 20 mins. Yes, you need to change lines to go to Whitley Bay (better to change in central Newcastle eg Monument as you will be warmer and Pelaw is the wild west :lol: ).
3. Ship Isis good for real ale, or just stick to the Peacock, may be easiest if you don't fancy a walk. Or you could get off at Park Lane instead, go to the nearby Ivy House for a couple, then wander down to Peacock (10 mins).

Last edited:

Cheers...
Peacock is a great venue. Check Nexus but getting back towards Newcastle is better from Sunderland than the other way. The last metros seem to be later from Sunderland than from Newcastle. The Peacock is a pub downstairs and venue upstairs and serves real ale as does the Dun Cow which is 100 yards away. And, yes, the venue is standing.

Peacock is a great venue. Check Nexus but getting back towards Newcastle is better from Sunderland than the other way. The last metros seem to be later from Sunderland than from Newcastle. The Peacock is a pub downstairs and venue upstairs and serves real ale as does the Dun Cow which is 100 yards away. And, yes, the venue is standing.
yes forgot to mention the Dun Cow, great little pub with good beers on.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
Does anyone know how long it takes on the Metro from Sunderland to Newcastle Central Station, as will take your recommendation to change trams there ?
Cheers...

Thank you for all your suggestions.
Does anyone know how long it takes on the Metro from Sunderland to Newcastle Central Station, as will take your recommendation to change trams there ?
Cheers...
30 mins if running as it should
If you're coming from Whitley Bay I would get the Metro from there to Monument (probably via Tynemouth, but in theory you could go either way round the loop), then change at Monument onto the green line. On the way back do the same in reverse. If you time it right the whole journey should be just over an hour.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
30 mins if running as it should
If you're coming from Whitley Bay I would get the Metro from there to Monument (probably via Tynemouth, but in theory you could go either way round the loop), then change at Monument onto the green line. On the way back do the same in reverse. If you time it right the whole journey should be just over an hour.

Logon or register to see this image
Thanks TGS.
Am trying to see what Metro to get back, as don't want to leave the gig early.
Have seen Cabbage twice and they were really entertaining both times, so with Point Blanc (track attached sounds good), should be a cracking night...

Cheers...

Just to add to the great advice you've already received I've been to several gigs there and each time the sound has been superb.
It's run by two musicans Dan Donnelly and Barry Hyde
They also teach on the third floor of the Peacock to Sunderland Uni music degree student's. (I heard a tune being banged out as I walked past this afternoon)

You got your tickets?

May be of interest to some: Cabbage playing at the Peacock on Saturday night (apparently their farewell tour before agreeing to split). Supported by Sunderland bands Roxy Girls and Point Blanc.

Tickets
Saw them at Glastonbury a few years back when they were poised to make it big. Have a few decent songs bit was a bit underwhelmed with them live, felt like they were a bit one trick pony. Wasn't a bad gig, they out the effort in but can see why they didn't kick on.

I think from my reading of the timetable, that if you got the 23.03 Metro from Sunderland to Monument (arriving 23.32) you could then catch the 23.40 from Monument to Whitley Bay (probably indicated as terminating at Longbenton). I think that would be the latest you could leave it to get a connection, though there are later trains which would get you to central Newcastle stations.

To avoid cutting it so fine you could get the 22.47 from Sunderland instead.
Roxy Girls are class too.

Cheers @Kingdom Bhoy - a great track that.
Thanks TGS.
Have seen Cabbage twice and they were really entertaining both times, so with Point Blanc (track attached sounds good), should be a cracking night...
Point Blanc are a very young Sunderland band starting out (all under 18) and quite raw but they've written some good tracks and getting a few gigs under their belt. Roxy Girls headlined the recent Waves festival in Sunderland and building a good reputation. Should be a good night all round.

Last edited:
I think from my reading of the timetable, that if you got the 23.03 Metro from Sunderland to Monument (arriving 23.32) you could then catch the 23.40 from Monument to Whitley Bay (probably indicated as terminating at Longbenton). I think that would be the latest you could leave it to get a connection, though there are later trains which would get you to central Newcastle stations.

To avoid cutting it so fine you could get the 22.47 from Sunderland instead.

Cheers @Kingdom Bhoy - a great track that.

Point Blanc are a very young Sunderland band starting out (all under 18) and quite raw but they've written some good tracks and getting a few gigs under their belt. Roxy Girls headlined the recent Waves festival in Sunderland and building a good reputation. Should be a good night all round.
Thanks again for all your information, especially the Metro timings, as it's website has confused me a bit !
Yes, got our tickets. Great to see that young, local talent are the support artists.
Perhaps they could ask the Cabbage lads why they are disbanding ? As only a couple of years ago they seemed destined to "make it". As far as I'm aware, they haven't toured for a while so something has gone wrong for them...

Thanks again for all your information, especially the Metro timings, as it's website has confused me a bit !
Yes, got our tickets. Great to see that young, local talent are the support artists.
Perhaps they could ask the Cabbage lads why they are disbanding ? As only a couple of years ago they seemed destined to "make it". As far as I'm aware, they haven't toured for a while so something has gone wrong for them...

Your plan b could be to stay over

There is the Premier Inn & the Travel Lodge close to the Peacock.

Back