Sunderland Legends In Conversation I Defoe I Phillips I Reid

Didn’t see eye to eye with Alex Neil, even after not playing, was telling JD to go do a rundown with the unused subs

Edit: And because he wasn’t being used, felt he was hindering the younger strikers trying to break through

I’ve got a mate who knows Defoe and there was more to it than this. Was partly Neil but this was more down to Defoe not being fit at any point after his return (not playing) and also Defoe struggling to get to grips with how SAFC had changed since being in the prem such as being less pampered though he’d have found that the same at any other club in league 1 really.

Think the entire experience was a bit of a culture shock tbh.

I’ve got a mate who knows Defoe and there was more to it than this. Was partly Neil but this was more down to Defoe not being fit at any point after his return (not playing) and also Defoe struggling to get to grips with how SAFC had changed since being in the prem such as being less pampered though he’d have found that the same at any other club in league 1 really.

Think the entire experience was a bit of a culture shock tbh.

He did say there were more factors at play to be fair

course it was! No club wanted to sign defoe for footballing reasons at that time..

But the mob on here were braying for it to happen so the owners gave in and made it happen..

The manager at the time was terrible but even he knew enough to know not to sign defoe then..

The experts on here knew better though!
Very sly digs at our fan base there. Remind me again when you started 'supporting' us? Can only be very very recent. What gives you the right to have a go at anyone on here?

Defoe didn't like Neil from day one. Knew he was gonna jump ship at first opportunity. Made Defoe train with a fucked hamstring and do extra running with subs on sundays even after not playing. Defoe asked for the extra days rest but Neil wouldn't let him. Spoke with his Mam and retired cos of the above and the fact he felt guilty denying the young uns a chance when he knew he was on the way out. Said there was other things he couldn't talk about.

Top class night
Neil was always a shite manager that got lucky with our squad.

Stoke poaching him was the best thing that could have happened to us.

Neil was always a shite manager that got lucky with our squad.

Stoke poaching him was the best thing that could have happened to us.
Based on what? He got us promoted which the 3 managers before him failed to do. He also started off well enough in the championship with us. He has previously got Norwich promoted. Yes it didn’t work out at stoke but doesn’t mean he’s shite

Back