Sunderland Legends In Conversation I Defoe I Phillips I Reid

Maybe he meant Broadhead who came of the bench to score the winner the game after Defoe retired.
Personally i didnt buy much of his explanation. I just think his legs packed in and he couldnt get into the spaces he'd been all his career
Yeah felt a bit awkward as he was telling it. Like he was making it up.
Would have preferred he just said he was off the pace. He clearly was. There may have been other noise too but that was it.

There was a few things the lads misremembered like. Defoe saying Allardyce was Manager when he scored that volley, can't remember beating Grimsby away 5-1 either, I think Reidy was on about the 4-0 game.

But he got us out of that 💩 division, so it obviously worked!
Oh I don’t doubt that he was good for us at the time - well, a lot better than his other league one managers for us.

Just saying he has fell out with a fair few at most of the clubs he’s been at. Seems to think he’s better than he is imo.

Still though, was good in getting us out of league one so I thank him for that; but he can fuck off otherwise.

Oh I don’t doubt that he was good for us at the time - well, a lot better than his other league one managers for us.

Just saying he has fell out with a fair few at most of the clubs he’s been at. Seems to think he’s better than he is imo.

Still though, was good in getting us out of league one so I thank him for that; but he can fuck off otherwise.
I absolutely agree with you on all of that!
And it was a good night all in; went very quickly.

There was a few things the lads misremembered like. Defoe saying Allardyce was Manager when he scored that volley, can't remember beating Grimsby away 5-1 either, I think Reidy was on about the 4-0 game.
Same with a lot of players, it means more to fans so we remember certain things better - apparently.

Couple of things i never knew too. Philips pro debut was against us. And Defoe only player to have been red carded three times before xmas. Mad that.

They could have spent more on their time at Sunderland however I did like the juxtaposition of Defoe being so sought after at 16 that West Ham paid a million quid compo to Charlton and Kev being so ignored that he had to wait for injuries to play up front at a non league club.

Back