Sunderland-Jarrow’s magnificent treasure returns to England for the first time in 1,300 uears

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

In the same way I think we should give back some of the stuff we pilfered, aye?
In theory yes but where does this end. Do the Welsh get the gold back that the Romans stole?

Land, possessions and where people ended up living was determined by conquest and treaty. It's ridiculous to think that you can turn the clock back. Not for another week anyway ;)

Because it was the British Library that requested it mate. That's how this stuff works. Are your actually expecting some papal civil servant sat in the Vatican to go "oh here's a request to send one of the most important books in British Christian history to the British Library. Best not, some paranoid mackem hillbillies might get upset. Luigi, get the Winter Gardens on the phone"?
:oops:

I'm surprised thet want to display work by thick northern monkeys.
@Thackeray seems to be.

The Codex Amiatinus is back on these shores for the first time since the monks of Wearmouth-Jarrow gave it to the Pope in the 700s. A must-see at the British Library until February 2019.
Amazing stuff - we went to the Laurentian Library in Florence to see it only to be told it is only brought out once a year for people like the Pope. We also went to Mount Amiata where it was for centuries and they have a life size copy.

Some reasonable concessions and returns can be made though.
Of course. There's always room for negotiation and concessions when dealing with injustice, especially if there are still people alive who have been affected and who were responsible.

I'm more concerned about making sure things are not pillaged it he future.

So me saying that it is appropriate for one of the most important books in British Christian history to be shown in the national library, has somehow in your mind come to mean that I'm saying that a work by "northern monkeys" shouldn't be displayed anywhere. Has Strictly addled your brain?
Wow stalker

So me saying that it is appropriate for one of the most important books in British Christian history to be shown in the national library, has somehow in your mind come to mean that I'm saying that a work by "northern monkeys" shouldn't be displayed anywhere. Has Strictly addled your brain?

It’s not the national library of the kingdom it was produced in.

I often visit the Ritblat Gallery at the British Library when I'm in London to admire the Shakespeare folios, Magna Carta, handwritten Beatles lyrics and the other works of creative and artistic genius, but the two jewels in the Library's crown come from my part of the country. The St Cuthbert's Gospel is the size of a packet of tabs and is the oldest intact book in Europe and the most valuable in the world, with an incredible back story of its travels through Northumberland and Durham pursued by Vikings.

It generally shares a glass case with the Lindisfarne Gospels, which is another priceless artifact from when this region was the intellectual powerhouse of Europe. I'd like to see them in the north east more often than the occasional loan we're granted. But I have no problem with them having a permanent home at the British Library, where they're measured against the finest works in British literature and stand head and shoulders above the lot of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back