Sunderland-Jarrow’s magnificent treasure returns to England for the first time in 1,300 uears

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

So one of the most important books in English Christian history, one which nevertheless hasn't been in England for 1,300 years, is requested for an exhibition of Anglo Saxon Christian history by the British Library, and this extraordinary request is granted in respect of the importance which the British Library will give to the exhibition, and this is somehow a f***ing joke? Probably should have stuck it in the Winter Gardens instead :lol:

So one of the most important books in English Christian history, one which nevertheless hasn't been in England for 1,300 years, is requested for an exhibition of Anglo Saxon Christian history by the British Library, and this extraordinary request is granted in respect of the importance which the British Library will give to the exhibition, and this is somehow a f***ing joke? Probably should have stuck it in the Winter Gardens instead :lol:

Why shouldn’t it go in the winter gardens? Or an equally fine venue in the North East?

Why shouldn’t it go in the winter gardens? Or an equally fine venue in the North East?
Because it was the British Library that requested it mate. That's how this stuff works. Are your actually expecting some papal civil servant sat in the Vatican to go "oh here's a request to send one of the most important books in British Christian history to the British Library. Best not, some paranoid mackem hillbillies might get upset. Luigi, get the Winter Gardens on the phone"?

Because it was the British Library that requested it mate. That's how this stuff works. Are your actually expecting some papal civil servant sat in the Vatican to go "oh here's a request to send one of the most important books in British Christian history to the British Library. Best not, some paranoid mackem hillbillies might get upset. Luigi, get the Winter Gardens on the phone"?

In the same way I think we should give back some of the stuff we pilfered, aye?

I'm hardly a paranoid Mackem hillbilly mind.

Have you been to Jarrow to see the facsimile?

Why would I want to go and see a cheap imitation?

I’ve been to see the real thing in Florence. Got some Nutella on it but don’t tell anyone.

It was given away in the first place man.

‘Given away’ = forced to by the pope.

They're not giving it back, they're lending it to an august institution that requested it.

They should have been pro-active around getting it back to where it belongs.

This is definitely wrong like. It should be on display at the Alberta and people could have a look at it before the flyer.

They're not giving it back, they're lending it to an august institution that requested it.
It was given away in the first place man.
I think you have to acknowledge this sort of thing (down with it!) is a bit annoying for us in the provinces :lol: Reminds me that there wasn't really much reason to build the monstrosity on Euston Road anyway although it's lovely inside.

Anyway, good to see these things back in the country even if it means I'll only have a look if I'm down with work.

I think you have to acknowledge this sort of thing (down with it!) is a bit annoying for us in the provinces :lol: Reminds me that there wasn't really much reason to build the monstrosity on Euston Road anyway although it's lovely inside.

Anyway, good to see these things back in the country even if it means I'll only have a look if I'm down with work.
Did you read post #5 ?

I'm celebrating Trafalgar day in London next year. They have the second oldest Trafalgar Square in England and the flagship of the battle is only 70 miles away.

Back