Sunderland city parking...

As far as I'm aware, Patrick Melia the SCC chief exec isn't voted in by the electorate?

I mean they can bleat on all they want about the council leaders earning a fortune etc... but voting out every single Labour MP and Councillor will make fuck all difference to those employed directly by the council will it ?

And say we did sack Patrick Melia (who is doing an outstanding job) , firstly he'd be snapped up by some other up and coming city, and we'd have to replace with him some nacker who probably costs the same amount..

There's some absolute morons on the internet

Please tell us what another set of MPs and councillor's from Reform and the Tories will actually do that will 'save' Sunderland?

The city is facing the same struggles as every medium sized British city and is performing brilliantly..do you suggest we operate without a chief executive and bis staff? Who will run the council?

You are right as far as I am aware that no chief exec is voted in, though I do think sometimes a change in leadership means bringing new people in. Think it happened in Northumberland when conservatives got in, but means paying staff off to get rid and bringing the new people in. Sure that is common in a lot of companies where new chief executives bring in people they know and trust.

Last edited:

You are right as far as I am aware that no chief exec is voted in, though I do think sometimes a change in leadership means bringing new people in. Think it happened in Northumberland when conservatives got in, but means paying staff off to get rid and bringing the new people in. Sure that is common in a lot of companies where new chief executives bring in people they know and trust.

So in other words if the people of Sunderland were stupid enough to vote in the Tories, the first thing they would do is spend £100k's paying off the very people who have been making a success of the city..you couldn't write man. Thick as fuck

So in other words if the people of Sunderland were stupid enough to vote in the Tories, the first thing they would do is spend £100k's paying off the very people who have been making a success of the city..you couldn't write man. Thick as fuck

I’ve no idea. It’s an interesting view point as the opposition parties are always having a go at the way councils are ran which must really be a direct insult to the existing chief executive as I suspect they control and influence more what happens day to day, so you could imagine that the relationship is fraught from the out set. The conservatives have been highly critical of parking, M&S, L&G etc… so it would be interesting to see if they would continue with any of the current plans. You just have to look what happened in Northumberland and more recently in Durham about them moving away from the previous incumbents plans.

It isn't, but it's still money.
Just because it broken down into salary, pension, compensation, bonuses and the like doesn't make it cost less.
If anything it's a tax dodge, instead of paying inflated salaries, it's paid into pension pots to save on tax.
Odd that the pension contribution was £36k, just under the £40k limit on which it would be taxable.
Just like corporate CEOs getting pension payments, share options, health insurance, school fees etc.

My point is that as a city we are paying our officials more than any other city (bar one) in the country and it doesn't seem like a good deal.
It shows that the council aren't being as prudent with our money as they could be.
It's easier to write cheques than solve the issue, it seems as though we're being blackmailed by officials who know the dirty secrets, so we pay to stop the truths coming out.
We've paid out on several well documented NDA agreements to keep everything quiet.

This is why we need a new council which isn't Labou
r. Another leadership would happily have a clear out and restructure, any fall out would be because of the previous administration and could be reported infinitum.

But as always, we'll all trot down to the polling station come May and vote Labour back in.
Someone follows Sunderland Corruption on Facebook

Logon or register to see this image

Do you have any evidence of what you are claiming here?
He's seen the meme on FB.

Last edited:

Back