Sunderland AFC Women

Is this over summer or a long term deal?

ULM is University of Louisiana at Monroe (formerly known as Northeast Louisiana University), it's not a club. The pyramid for women's football in the USA has as its foundation the huge title IX investment in collegiate women's sports, most notably "soccer". For non-athletes, college is not free in the USA, so athletic scholarships are the coin of the realm. If Eve was awarded one of these scholarships, she beat out many competitors from the USA high schools.

It must be at least one academic year, anything shorter doesn't make sense.

Lucy Bronze did something similar years ago when she went to North Carolina (one of the top USA collegiate teams in women's football)

I saw Maria Farrugia in B&M on Roker retail park a month or two back. Most exciting footballer-in-a-supermarket moment I’ve had since I saw Dean Whitehead in Sainsbury’s in Silksworth once.

Living the dream.

Thought its not correct to label yourself a man or a woman anymore or summit like that.Means LBGTs can't play?
What has sexuality got to do with anything?
I saw Maria Farrugia in B&M on Roker retail park a month or two back. Most exciting footballer-in-a-supermarket moment I’ve had since I saw Dean Whitehead in Sainsbury’s in Silksworth once.

Living the dream.
You lucky buggar!

It took men’s football 100yrs to end up with the whole big six type shite thus ruining the game. Woman’s football has done it in a fraction of the time. Willingly anarl with apparently no pushback from the governing bodies, clubs and fans at all.
Id love to see a variation in team “boundaries” just to allow more realistic opposition to the big six plague on the game. IE combined Sheffield City & Nottingham Utd & Bristol Utd etc teams with Wednesday/Utd & Forest/County & City/Rovers etc taking a shareholding and combining their facilities/experience to create six genuine forces in the woman’s game instead of the six smaller also ran outfits that they’re now condemned to be.

A combined NE woman’s club with safc, nufc, Boro and Hartlepool buying in financially and idealistically would also be a force for good in the region. Wearing a neutral distinctive in U.K. strip and playing all ower the NE from Berwick to Barney and Boro depending on the size of the opposition involved. Games at the SOL, Syd James, Riverside, Hartlepool, shields, Gateshead, Darlo, Durham etc wad help spread the word and hopefully prevent generations of fans of the female game growing old with nowt but disappointment and frustration to show for their fandom. Plus it’d help keep the best NE talent in the NE instead of the being used by the big six to grind NE dreams into the turf.

Unfortunately a NE “big” contender now looms on the regions horizon in the most unpleasant way possible. No one will ever convince me that’s a better proposition for the woman’s game in the NE than mine.

Last edited:
See Maria Farrugia is away, wonder if she’s heading back to Malta. Hasn’t really done much while here.

GOAT?
Sunderland AFC Women are delighted to announce Tyler Dodds has returned to the club.

The 26-year-old has arrived back on Wearside as the Lasses’ third signing of the summer, having spent last season with Glasgow City.

With significant experience both domestically and in Europe, the winger previously played for Sunderland at WSL level; represented Durham, Middlesbrough and Italian outfit Calcio Pomigliano, and featured in the England and GB University sides.

Dodds has regularly top scored at her previous clubs, and whilst with Pomigliano secured promotion to the Italian women’s Serie A.

Having completed her move back to Mel Reay’s squad, Dodds said: “I’m really happy to be back home – this is the club I’ve grown up at.

“I’ve been away and got some good experience, met some great people along the way, but now I’m just really glad to be back. Hopefully I can come in and share my knowledge with the younger players and help the team. I feel a better-rounded player having now played in the Champions League and been abroad, which was a great experience.

“Last time I was here I was a very young player and really looked up to the more senior players, so I think it’s important to have that variety of ages in the squad – maybe the younger players can teach me a thing or two as well.”

Lasses Head Coach Reay added: “We’re really happy to bring Tyler back – she’s a third signing of real experience which is paramount for us in our progress towards the new season.

“Tyler is a wide, quick forward – an area of our play that we’ve been looking to improve. To bring someone back in of Tyler’s calibre is huge for us moving forward.

“We’re building a competitive squad here with some real, talented players who can adapt and play a number of different positions. We’re looking forward to going into next season.”

Dodds will wear the number 20 shirt for the Lasses in 2022-23. The transfer is subject to international clearance.
@David M

Last edited:

Back