***Sunderland AFC Women 🔴⚪️ v Aston Villa Women 🔵 Kick Off 7.30pm Youtube***

I was reading up on the Reading situation earlier and the result from the offending match stood (8-1 win) but they had 3 points deducted and they were removed from the competition but their record wasn't expunged. Their opponents in their remaining group game were awarded 3 points but no change to the GF column, i.e. not awarded a 3-0 'win'. What made that scenario easier is Reading were as good as eliminated prior to the offending match.

There's no doubt The FA want the best teams in the next round so they'll likely deduct 3 points from Villa, not award them to us (which is 2/3rds consistent with the precedent) and this still leaves Villa top with 9 points which means Man Utd still qualify by being one of the two 2nd-placed teams with the best record.

I think this is exactly what they will do David.

This will result in no benefit whatsoever to the team who were the oppo in the game where the 'cheating' took place, and no real punishment to Villa who will still qualify.

Most importantly of all for the FA, Man Utd won't be eliminated.

Maybe someone at the FA may grow a pair and we could be wrong but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:
I was reading up on the Reading situation earlier and the result from the offending match stood (8-1 win) but they had 3 points deducted and they were removed from the competition but their record wasn't expunged. Their opponents in their remaining group game were awarded 3 points but no change to the GF column, i.e. not awarded a 3-0 'win'. What made that scenario easier is Reading were as good as eliminated prior to the offending match.

There's no doubt The FA want the best teams in the next round so they'll likely deduct 3 points from Villa, not award them to us (which is 2/3rds consistent with the precedent) and this still leaves Villa top with 9 points which means Man Utd still qualify by being one of the two 2nd-placed teams with the best record.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding The FA, they have form for this kind of shit unfortunately.

Might be flying solo with this one, but I’m not really bothered about getting through to the next round on a technicality. I’d rather we have every member of the squad focused mentally and physically in the remaining league games for the promotion push.

Might be flying solo with this one, but I’m not really bothered about getting through to the next round on a technicality. I’d rather we have every member of the squad focused mentally and physically in the remaining league games for the promotion push.
Yeah. I agree.
We’ve seen what a huge gap there is, why go against Utd and go through it all again? It’ll do nothing for confidence or energy.

I think this is exactly what they will do David.

This will result in no benefit whatsoever to the team who were the oppo in the game where the 'cheating' took place, and no real punishment to Villa who will still qualify.

Most importantly of all for the FA, Man Utd won't be eliminated.

Maybe someone at the FA may grow a pair and we could be wrong but I am not holding my breath.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding The FA, they have form for this kind of shit unfortunately.
Amazes me how they let the result/s stand which it seems they may do if they follow suit with the Reading incident years ago.
I suppose the results make their job easier as in both incidents one team had been well and truly beaten and its obvious that the one player who should not have played has not really effected the outcome of the game.
However what if the villa lass the other night had come on and scored the only goal in a 1 nil victory ? Surely you could not allow the result to stand 🤷‍♂️

I agree - just delaying the inevitable exit from the competition but still don't want to see a ruling that benefits the WSL at our expense

In terms of promotion (and I should know more about this than I do), if we did win the division do we meet the WSL requirements to go up?

I agree - just delaying the inevitable exit from the competition but still don't want to see a ruling that benefits the WSL at our expense

In terms of promotion (and I should know more about this than I do), if we did win the division do we meet the WSL requirements to go up?
I can’t see how we do because we’re not full time. That needs rectifying regardless next season.

To compete in the Barclays WSL, teams must have a Tier 1 license. To obtain that license, teams must fulfil various criteria including operating an academy, playing on a grass pitch and having a maximum squad of 25 players, of whom at least eight are homegrown.

Not sure what license we have?

As a result, Sunderland will finish as Group A Winners, with Aston Villa progressing to the quarter finals as one of the two best-placed runners-up alongside Tottenham Hotspur.

Back