***Sunderland AFC Women 🔴⚪️ v Aston Villa Women 🔵 Kick Off 7.30pm Youtube***

I believe there was but they demoted us two divisions when Short pulled the plug financially and parachuted West Ham and Man Utd in from the third tier, I believe merely on the strength of them promising to throw money at it.
Certainly, Man Utd were third tier at best and put straight into the WSL.
Man United didn’t even have a team at that point.

What happened was the FA restructured the top two leagues by application. If you met the criteria they set for the WSL, you were in, and it was on a first-come first serve basis. That’s how teams like Brighton got parachuted into the top tier from the championship, and Man United created a team around Championship criteria and then won promotion.

It was all about money and the investment that clubs were prepared to make in their woman’s teams. Sporting merit was irrelevant, and so Mel’s team, what finished a very credible seventh that particular season, found themselves bombed two divisions and she had to rebuild the whole thing again.

If Villa are booted out like Reading were in 2014 for exactly the same offence then Man United would be OK. We'd top the group and then Durham would be 2nd but with a poorer record than Man Utd.

They were also removed from the competition as I posted this link earlier in thread

Reading Women FC have been removed from The FA WSL Continental Cup for fielding an ineligible player.

The club admitted a charged by the League (FA WSL) for fielding an ineligible player in their FA WSL Continental Cup match on Sunday 6 July 2014 against London Bees.

It was alleged that Bonnie Horwood, who started in the match, had previously appeared in the Cup on three occasions for Watford LFC, contrary to the competition rules.

The League Management Committee, in accordance with League rules, has therefore determined that:-

- Reading WFC be removed from The FA WSL Continental Cup with immediate effect.
- Reading WFC do not play their scheduled final fixture on 12 July against Watford LFC and instead Watford LFC be awarded three points.
- The three points gained in the Cup fixture against London Bees on 6 July 2014 be deducted from Reading WFC's total group points.
- Reading WFC be fined £50.

Pretty clear that. Same offence, same competition so unless the rules of the competition have changed in the intervening years, the punishment SHOULD be the same.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

A monumental cock-up by Villa though.

I think the evidence shows tonight that you're trolling and been a wum
You have something of a reputation yourself in such matters. Some nerve there. :lol:

It has been established for over 20 years that tighter fitting sports clothing can give both a performance advantage and a psychological advantage. I can't be be bothered to argue with you about it, I know it would be a waste of time, but if anybody wants the evidence you can just google to find the story of England men's Rugby Union World Cup kit from 2003. That was such a marginal victory that it is entirely possible that without the special kit they would not have won the world cup.

Pretty clear that. Same offence, same competition so unless the rules of the competition have changed in the intervening years, the punishment SHOULD be the same.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

A monumental cock-up by Villa though.
FA probably secretly hoping that Southampton beat Spurs tonight

They can take points off Villa but not give them to us and then Man Utd and Villa can still qualify and the little clubs can stop bothering them

Villa’s players and coaches were informed of the error and given an apology by the club’s admin staff in the dressing room after the game

I suspected something was going on as I was waiting about to have a chat with Jordan after the game and she was getting mobbed, and 2 coaches came onto the pitch and were looking down where she was (all others were off the field by this time 10-15 mins after the game) and they waved her back into the dressing room for a brief time, she then came back out for a few minutes. It all seemed a bit "something is going on here" as they had already had a team de-brief on the pitch. Waited back a little while after to grab a chat as they boarded the bus and there was a few glum faces shall we say and Lehmann blanked the few autograph hunters (mind you the stewards were a bit OTT putting barriers up). Rachel Daly limped on the bus as well, she didn't look too clever.

The game itself for 20 minutes or so was decent enough but class showed after that and it looked a huge gulf in class.

I suspected something was going on as I was waiting about to have a chat with Jordan after the game and she was getting mobbed, and 2 coaches came onto the pitch and were looking down where she was (all others were off the field by this time 10-15 mins after the game) and they waved her back into the dressing room for a brief time, she then came back out for a few minutes. It all seemed a bit "something is going on here" as they had already had a team de-brief on the pitch. Waited back a little while after to grab a chat as they boarded the bus and there was a few glum faces shall we say and Lehmann blanked the few autograph hunters (mind you the stewards were a bit OTT putting barriers up). Rachel Daly limped on the bus as well, she didn't look too clever.

The game itself for 20 minutes or so was decent enough but class showed after that and it looked a huge gulf in class.
Daly went down screaming, few mins on the floor with physio and carried on playing

FA probably secretly hoping that Southampton beat Spurs tonight

They can take points off Villa but not give them to us and then Man Utd and Villa can still qualify and the little clubs can stop bothering them

I was reading up on the Reading situation earlier and the result from the offending match stood (8-1 win) but they had 3 points deducted and they were removed from the competition but their record wasn't expunged. Their opponents in their remaining group game were awarded 3 points but no change to the GF column, i.e. not awarded a 3-0 'win'. What made that scenario easier is Reading were as good as eliminated prior to the offending match.

There's no doubt The FA want the best teams in the next round so they'll likely deduct 3 points from Villa, not award them to us (which is 2/3rds consistent with the precedent) and this still leaves Villa top with 9 points which means Man Utd still qualify by being one of the two 2nd-placed teams with the best record.

Back