Sunderland AFC U18s v Swindon Town U18s FA Youth Cup 5th Round

You obviously watch alot of junior football and I'll gladly take your knowledge on board. Its mentioned above that we got bullied and it certainly looked that way on many occasions. I've had an issue that goes back decades with our club and its about the robustness/physical build of our players at youth levels. The 3 and 6 last night were cases in point in that while not the worst players in the world they looked as though they didn't have an upper body muscle between them. Should all the players not be in the gym on an afternoon building up their upper bodies so they can compete better. It's something that's aggravated me for a long time and I think it needs addressing.
You’re spot on. It is decades, I recall our youths play at Roker against Man Utd in the FA Youth Cup. It was like men against boys. They had Whiteside and Hughes up front , their physical stature made them look huge, we looked like underfed schoolboys. The biggest strikers that I’ve seen come through the ranks are few and far between, with the exception of John Moore 40 years ago and in modern times Kevin Kyle. Everybody else has been light. It’s better to have a good big in than a good little’un , they always used to say.

Got to say as a spectacle I thought it was terrible and if that is what U18's football has become you won't see me turning up again in the near future. The number of breaks in play I found staggering, drinks breaks, shin pad missing breaks, ponce lying on the ground screaming breaks, any sort of foul break, it really was poor fair. I hope Mr and Mrs Watson are sitting down with their son this morning and explaining to him about how unjust the world can be but if you do not put in the required effort in to go with your exceptional talent you will be on the dole very shortly. Each and everyone of them needs to use Rigg as an example on how to move forward with their careers. Not because of how good he is but because he still appears to love playing football and the effort he puts in in attempting to win. To many out of the 11 last night seemed to be caught up in "I'm a footballer mode" and giving it your all seemed a little beneath them. Lavery,Bell, Rigg, the CF, did well. 6, 3 and 4 did OK but Cremer, 10 and Watson seriously need to think their career options through and make their minds if football is really for them. To sum it up the kids from the scatter school, who have nowt, turned up and punched the posh boys on the nose. The posh boys didn't like it but worst of all didn't know how to fight back.
Not trying to be a nob because I think the 18/21s type threads are the best on the board but you need to take a breath. Watson does not need to sit and think if football is for him just because he has had a bad game, the lad is 17 it wasn’t his night, it happens. I’m sure he will be disappointed. Was the time wasting etc a bit crap, yeah but as annoying as it is when it happens against your team the fact is Swindon got themselves into a position that allowed them to do it. Not trying to hair ruffle Swindon here but it’s a massive thing they have achieved getting to the quarters.

If a home defeat to a club 2 divisions below us isn’t a screw up then what it. Don’t forget our amazing Academy facilities as well
In recent years they've went out to AFC Fylde and Bradford City so upsets can happen. One team was more up than the other and deserved it.
Sure Manchester United felt the same, on paper should beat them but got bullied as well. What's your suggestion in light of this screw up?

In recent years they've went out to AFC Fylde and Bradford City so upsets can happen. One team was more up than the other and deserved it.
Sure Manchester United felt the same, on paper should beat them but got bullied as well. What's your suggestion in light of this screw up?
what suggestion do you expect me to make? I’m merely pointing out that it was a shit result but a typical Sunderland one. Can you suggest anything I’m interested in hearing what you have to say

what suggestion do you expect me to make? I’m merely pointing out that it was a shit result but a typical Sunderland one. Can you suggest anything I’m interested in hearing what you have to say
I have no idea what suggestion you would make? That why I asked.

It was a shit result, they're a good crop of lads but not typical performance, that got done by a street wise team and that goes down to coaching too. There's no god given right to beat anyone especially in youth football.

I also have no idea if I have anything interesting for you to hear. I can't say I've interacted much with you on here so I haven't got a clue if you'd be interested. Probably not. 😊

I have no idea what suggestion you would make? That why I asked.

It was a shit result, they're a good crop of lads but not typical performance, that got done by a street wise team and that goes down to coaching too. There's no god given right to beat anyone especially in youth football.

I also have no idea if I have anything interesting for you to hear. I can't say I've interacted much with you on here so I haven't got a clue if you'd be interested. Probably not. 😊
I just wasn’t sure why you think I should suggest something, very strange. I don’t even suggest anything when the first team loses so very strange you would ask about the youths.

Like first team when Clarke is having an off game - where else is the threat coming from?
In fairness, since Beale came in Rusyn, Burstow and Pritchard all scored their first goals of the season and we haven't relied on clarkes goals so much. He's only got two of the seven we've scored under Beale. Positive signs? I dunno.

I just wasn’t sure why you think I should suggest something, very strange. I don’t even suggest anything when the first team loses so very strange you would ask about the youths.
Sorry it wasn't meant to come across strange, very strange is even worse 😂 also neither confrontational. You stated an opinion which I mostly agreed with and asked if you merely had a suggestion. For example staff , coaching. Etc That's all. 👍🏻
We do have amazing facilities, on paper it was a shit result.
We had a great coach last season in Adam ashgar, got the lads playing fantastic stuff and finished 2nd to City. I was pointing out we have a decent crop and underperformed last night.

If a home defeat to a club 2 divisions below us isn’t a screw up then what it. Don’t forget our amazing Academy facilities as well
Surely that is part of their education and the reason they are doing their apprenticeships.
I am sure it will sting them more than any of us on this thread, but if they learn from it then it will be a valuable loss for some of the boy's (maybe the expectation was too much for them), but from my viewing we had a few players who looked tidy and if we did not give them a two goal start would have probably won.

Absolutely. I was impressed with the Swindon number 5, the centre half. He was constantly vocal and seemed like a real leader at the back. Decent little side who came flying out of the traps.
Out of all their players last night I can’t believe u were impressed with him.
He should’ve been sent off for the tackle on rigg.
He was an absolute disgrace. He was out to hurt anyone that came near him.
Everytime the ball came near him he just launched it as far as he could.
He will play no higher than northern league level.
If he plays until he’s 35 the way he did last night he’ll hurt an awful lot of players.

Their keeper was excellent, they had 3-4 others who looked very good.

The number 5 was hopeless.
We didn’t take advantage of him being so poor.
Really? Extremely poor if that's the case
I was there and there were boos but I don’t think it was aimed at the team.
Might be wrong but it seemed to be at them for killing the game and the ref for letting them and not punishing some bad fouls

Last edited:

Back