Sunderland AFC U18s v Swindon Town U18s FA Youth Cup 5th Round

I think the physical thing some of our lads didn't cope and unfortunately they are going to have to get used to it stepping up to men's football. These were a well drilled side and full of gamesmanship which I don't mind one bit.
Cat 1 teams aren't used to it and that's the beauty of the fa youth cup.
Absolutely. I was impressed with the Swindon number 5, the centre half. He was constantly vocal and seemed like a real leader at the back. Decent little side who came flying out of the traps.

Absolutely. I was impressed with the Swindon number 5, the centre half. He was constantly vocal and seemed like a real leader at the back. Decent little side who came flying out of the traps.
Exactly what we should have done, but caught after 28 seconds or whatever with an unforced error. I agree with you about there #5. Cambridge United were last season's underdogs, upset the nice cat 1 clubs 😂.

I missed that walking into the ground
Haha, I missed it as I had my back turned to the game as I was sitting down in my seat.
The start :lol:

Their number 9 looks class. Shame we didn't sign him for our first team.
Best player on the pitch
Just saw Ben Crompton with a moon boot on....must be out for a while.
Yeah, walked past us near supporters shop, limping quite a bit.

Last edited:
Is he as smug as I expect him to be in my head? Just googled him to see if he used to play etc, first hit is his LinkedIn page.
Oh yes 😂 but on reflection he's just won and they are into the quarters. The Swindon lads epitomised him. Loud, animated, passionate. Ours lads mainly and not all, were like ours, quiet, timid and shy.

Hopefully the lads take something away, the hype some lads have is toned down and come back stronger.

Game management was mentioned on the video. It's all about winning in cup football at a youth point of view and that transpires into men's Football. When I see other threads on time wasting etc I love that lads do it, it's about getting a result. I've seen our lads do it in competition football loads.

Cat 1 academies will not change there style of play, that's why loans and a culture shock is required for the kids development. Look at the elbow and punch incident between man U and Liverpool u18....all on socials, premier league investigations because it's unheard of. On another note I was talking to a couple of parents prematch and they said we'll get battered....

Oh yes 😂 but on reflection he's just won and they are into the quarters. The Swindon lads epitomised him. Loud, animated, passionate. Ours lads mainly and not all, were like ours, quiet, timid and shy.

Hopefully the lads take something away, the hype some lads have is toned down and come back stronger.

Game management was mentioned on the video. It's all about winning in cup football at a youth point of view and that transpires into men's Football. When I see other threads on time wasting etc I love that lads do it, it's about getting a result. I've seen our lads do it in competition football loads.

Cat 1 academies will not change there style of play, that's why loans and a culture shock is required for the kids development. Look at the elbow and punch incident between man U and Liverpool u18....all on socials, premier league investigations because it's unheard of. On another note I was talking to a couple of parents prematch and they said we'll get battered....
Got to say as a spectacle I thought it was terrible and if that is what U18's football has become you won't see me turning up again in the near future. The number of breaks in play I found staggering, drinks breaks, shin pad missing breaks, ponce lying on the ground screaming breaks, any sort of foul break, it really was poor fair. I hope Mr and Mrs Watson are sitting down with their son this morning and explaining to him about how unjust the world can be but if you do not put in the required effort in to go with your exceptional talent you will be on the dole very shortly. Each and everyone of them needs to use Rigg as an example on how to move forward with their careers. Not because of how good he is but because he still appears to love playing football and the effort he puts in in attempting to win. To many out of the 11 last night seemed to be caught up in "I'm a footballer mode" and giving it your all seemed a little beneath them. Lavery,Bell, Rigg, the CF, did well. 6, 3 and 4 did OK but Cremer, 10 and Watson seriously need to think their career options through and make their minds if football is really for them. To sum it up the kids from the scatter school, who have nowt, turned up and punched the posh boys on the nose. The posh boys didn't like it but worst of all didn't know how to fight back.

Got to say as a spectacle I thought it was terrible and if that is what U18's football has become you won't see me turning up again in the near future. The number of breaks in play I found staggering, drinks breaks, shin pad missing breaks, ponce lying on the ground screaming breaks, any sort of foul break, it really was poor fair. I hope Mr and Mrs Watson are sitting down with their son this morning and explaining to him about how unjust the world can be but if you do not put in the required effort in to go with your exceptional talent you will be on the dole very shortly. Each and everyone of them needs to use Rigg as an example on how to move forward with their careers. Not because of how good he is but because he still appears to love playing football and the effort he puts in in attempting to win. To many out of the 11 last night seemed to be caught up in "I'm a footballer mode" and giving it your all seemed a little beneath them. Lavery,Bell, Rigg, the CF, did well. 6, 3 and 4 did OK but Cremer, 10 and Watson seriously need to think their career options through and make their minds if football is really for them. To sum it up the kids from the scatter school, who have nowt, turned up and punched the posh boys on the nose. The posh boys didn't like it but worst of all didn't know how to fight back.
I've just referred to that last example to someone more or less exactly like you did.
Rigg is a winner. Not many kids are on his wavelength in everything he does for a footballing point of view.

As a spectacle is was predictable and not the normal u18 or youth game. They had a game plan and stuck to it. Awful to watch but effective.

Too many didn't turn up. Important time of the year for some wishing to get a professional contract.

I've just referred to that last example to someone more or less exactly like you did.
Rigg is a winner. Not many kids are on his wavelength in everything he does for a footballing point of view.

As a spectacle is was predictable and not the normal u18 or youth game. They had a game plan and stuck to it. Awful to watch but effective.

Too many didn't turn up. Important time of the year for some wishing to get a professional contract.
If its been mentioned before please accept my apology but Rigg seems to have that Wayne Rooney thing about him - love football/love been a footballer. Its alright loving a young kid in a men's game but when he's playing in his own environment there are certain aspects of his play really stand out. Played alot of the 2nd half in pain but never gave up and never stopped trying to win. I hope the fuckers who destroy young lads don't get to him and let him enjoy his career. I think the lad really has got his eye on the prize.

If its been mentioned before please accept my apology but Rigg seems to have that Wayne Rooney thing about him - love football/love been a footballer. Its alright loving a young kid in a men's game but when he's playing in his own environment there are certain aspects of his play really stand out. Played alot of the 2nd half in pain but never gave up and never stopped trying to win. I hope the fuckers who destroy young lads don't get to him and let him enjoy his career. I think the lad really has got his eye on the prize.
I've seen the lad from a young age and it was just as apparently then as it is now. The ones with that edge will go all the way. He got going like most a little way through the game but he was targeted massively and never gave up, winners mentality.

Good post. It’s the competitive edge that stands out for me with Rigg, and he’s got all the talent to back it up. Best I’ve seen from the academy.

Good learning curve for some last night, best I’ve seen Ogunsuyi play up against bigger centre backs. Number 4 tidy as well. Could easily have won but Watson was pretty erratic in front of goal and Creamer missed when easier to score. Fine margins.

I've seen the lad from a young age and it was just as apparently then as it is now. The ones with that edge will go all the way. He got going like most a little way through the game but he was targeted massively and never gave up, winners mentality.
You obviously watch alot of junior football and I'll gladly take your knowledge on board. Its mentioned above that we got bullied and it certainly looked that way on many occasions. I've had an issue that goes back decades with our club and its about the robustness/physical build of our players at youth levels. The 3 and 6 last night were cases in point in that while not the worst players in the world they looked as though they didn't have an upper body muscle between them. Should all the players not be in the gym on an afternoon building up their upper bodies so they can compete better. It's something that's aggravated me for a long time and I think it needs addressing.

You obviously watch alot of junior football and I'll gladly take your knowledge on board. Its mentioned above that we got bullied and it certainly looked that way on many occasions. I've had an issue that goes back decades with our club and its about the robustness/physical build of our players at youth levels. The 3 and 6 last night were cases in point in that while not the worst players in the world they looked as though they didn't have an upper body muscle between them. Should all the players not be in the gym on an afternoon building up their upper bodies so they can compete better. It's something that's aggravated me for a long time and I think it needs addressing.
The lads will have an individual programme for physical development so unsure how that's personally managed. I've since some of our sides who are less developed but bullied bigger sides coz they've been up for it, we certainly weren't last night.
3 and 6 are good technical players but yes physical lacking, at cat 1 programme they cope well. The coaches for me have picked the wrong side for a game your gonna get bullied in....I would have had Lavery and bell centre to deal with the 9. Sketete at right back and beattie at left back.

Weights and building muscle mass is all about body type.
They could all be stronger and will hopefully do so as their bodies mature and but simply going on the weights isn't necessarily for everyone.

I think last night was a case of Cat1 academy football being too naive to combat the other side of football.
Our central defenders were too focused on passing it to each other instead of trying to get it forward. Rigg lost his temper with one of them as he wanted the ball forward.

We've got good footballers and that should be where we focus our development on but to make it at a senior level you need to have a bit more about you

I think last night was a case of Cat1 academy football being too naive to combat the other side of football.
Our central defenders were too focused on passing it to each other instead of trying to get it forward. Rigg lost his temper with one of them as he wanted the ball forward.

We've got good footballers and that should be where we focus our development on but to make it at a senior level you need to have a bit more about you
Aye. In all sports professional or not an ability to think on your feet is priceless. Mike Tyson:“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face”

Aye. In all sports professional or not an ability to think on your feet is priceless. Mike Tyson:“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face”

It could be a good thing for them. Hopefully they learn from it and go from strength to strength.

Does anyone know if you can enter into more than one U18 league?

Like how the U21's are in Premier League 2 amd the Central League.

Last edited:

Back