Sunday Sun cricket coverage

badger55

Central Defender
Like most cricket fans I look forward to a Sunday morning reading the cricket section of the local newspaper the Sunday Sun.
Last season I thought the coverage had deteriorated and complained directly to the paper. No one was prepared to take any responsibility and no one would admit to being the "sports editor" or even responsible for the content.
Today the coverage is woeful ! Results missing, print quality so poor you can hardly read the scores and some results only half printed.
No report or preview on Durham's 20/20 fixture today at Old Trafford ! Would that happen to a Newcastle football game at Old Trafford ?
If anyone agrees with this send an e mail to the editor [email protected]

Reminded me of those student rag magazines of years gone by when print was scattered randomly across the page.
and we're paying £1.70 for this trash.

STOP PRESS
CRICKET. OLD AT TRAFFORD THIS PLAYING
DURHAM ARE AFTERNOON
Mr Hodgkinson has been sent my observations.

Like most cricket fans I look forward to a Sunday morning reading the cricket section of the local newspaper the Sunday Sun.
Last season I thought the coverage had deteriorated and complained directly to the paper. No one was prepared to take any responsibility and no one would admit to being the "sports editor" or even responsible for the content.
Today the coverage is woeful ! Results missing, print quality so poor you can hardly read the scores and some results only half printed.
No report or preview on Durham's 20/20 fixture today at Old Trafford ! Would that happen to a Newcastle football game at Old Trafford ?

Real shame, as for years the Sunday Sun coverage of local cricket was very good for years and years.

Was excellent for most things really. Cricket, local ice hockey and especially local non-League football.

Was a time when I was playing non-league where I’d buy it week in, week out.

Can’t remember the last time I bought it though, which I think will be the story of a lot of people. Therein lies the problem, the written press is becoming a thing of the past. I’m assuming here, but the money they make can’t be what it used to be and therefore the quality has dropped as a result.

Werent the scores done on a freelance basis by Malcom Pratt years ago? Sure it isnt the same process now

Pretty sure they just go by whats on play cricket at 9pm
I get a call of them now and again if finish is late

Back in my days as a scorer, used to ring them into a bloke called Bob Gidney

Clearing out a storage room the other week, I found a Sunday Sun from 1999 with the backpage of us trying to sign Antonio Conte for £4m

The commercial fact of life is that their bread and butter is Newcastle at OT or even us at Rochdale
The depth and breadth of reporting of local used to be superb but is now dated and a sign of budget being spent elsewhere. The Echo and Northern Echo used to brilliant local cricket coverage but is now a fraction of what it was . It saddens me but it’s a reality

Received apology, fair enough as long as the problem is rectified.
"Many thanks for your email to Neil Hodgkinson regarding our cricket scorecards.

We are firmly committed to providing excellent coverage of sport, including local cricket, in the Sunday Sun and so I can only apologise for the problem with the scorecards last weekend. We were experiencing some technical issues though the issue was a result of a production error and I'll be speaking to the team to ensure we maintain the highest of standards.

Thanks again for writing and I hope you accept our apology.

Regards,
Matt"

Re the non league football, always a go to on the Sunday to check the Wearside combination league results back when there was three divisions of around 20 teams each

Mid 80s

Re the non league football, always a go to on the Sunday to check the Wearside combination league results back when there was three divisions of around 20 teams each

Mid 80s
I used to be the press secretary for the WCL, I wrote for the Echo for a few years giving out the scores and a brief description of the matches…

Back