Suddick Green Turkish Barbers.

They can put it through 1 of the many Thai massage parlours that have now sprung up.
How come HMRC aren't on to these places ? I owed HMRC money last year and they chased me down. My window cleaner said he was cash only until I discovered someone in the next street was paying him with a card reader. Pulled him and he claimed just started but obviously had to have some of his business legit.

I knew a bloke (in nick now for a different offence) who was paid by one “Turkish” barber to wreck the interior of another “Turkish” barber on the north side.

back in the day, southwick had a canny few barbers,elstobs,blakeys,the dummies,john ds,and one on davison terrace where you went down stairs,nee bother then just really bad haircuts.
Used to get Eagle, Shoot and Roy of the Rovers from there.
used to deliver papers for jimmy connor top bloke,elstobs next door did a canny tennis ball cut.

Last edited:
Kojak I heard
I have to admit that dispite all of the photo's of males with 50's Hollywood haircuts around the walls of their shop no matter what anyone asked the Elsob brothers for they just shaved your head.

As a kid it took me a few years to realise that the impressive looking certificates that they had in frames on back wall of their shop were not as I had assumed deplomas gained for their hairdressing skills but were in fact public health certificates issued by the Council testifying to the sanitary conditions of the sinks

Used to get Eagle, Shoot and Roy of the Rovers from there.

I was always a Victor man myself.

Jimmy certainly was a Top Bloke he had loads of kids employed as paper lads and although some must have been a bit of a handful I never heard him raise his voice or be rude to any kid. The dads knew him as a player before the War and there would often be long converstaions going on when you went in to the shop about SAFC's latest player or last match. I remember Mary too who was his assistant she was a lovely lady and Jimmy's twin sons who must have been in their late teens when I knew them would sometimes be helping out.

I have to admit that dispite all of the photo's of males with 50's Hollywood haircuts around the walls of their shop no matter what anyone asked the Elsob brothers for they just shaved your head.

As a kid it took me a few years to realise that the impressive looking certificates that they had in frames on back wall of their shop were not as I had assumed deplomas gained for their hairdressing skills but were in fact public health certificates issued by the Council testifying to the sanitary conditions of the sinks

I was always a Victor man myself.

Jimmy certainly was a Top Bloke he had loads of kids employed as paper lads and although some must have been a bit of a handful I never heard him raise his voice or be rude to any kid. The dads knew him as a player before the War and there would often be long converstaions going on when you went in to the shop about SAFC's latest player or last match. I remember Mary too who was his assistant she was a lovely lady and Jimmy's twin sons who must have been in their late teens when I knew them would sometimes be helping out.
Jimmy and Gilbert who pretty much ran it when we were growing up in the seventies and eighties. Can't remember their Dad although know all about him. Gave us a box of old programmes and an old school brown casey.

Kojak I heard
Growing up there was a barbers end of Pallion Road / Merle terrace way. Barber in there, baldy bloke, glasses (think of him as a skinny Sgt Billo but it was a long time ago so prob diff to how I remember him) think it was called Adam's. Anyway, cut the hair of all the workers who would walk up Steels bank (think it is actually woodbine terrace) no matter what you asked for just short back and sides. My brother reckoned he was Jewish and cut hair in a concentration camp, how true I don't know but he could certainly shave hair quick enough so could have been true. Everybody had a flat cap and would smell of tabs and brylcreem. It was a very different time - no metro sexuals back then.

Growing up there was a barbers end of Pallion Road / Merle terrace way. Barber in there, baldy bloke, glasses (think of him as a skinny Sgt Billo but it was a long time ago so prob diff to how I remember him) think it was called Adam's. Anyway, cut the hair of all the workers who would walk up Steels bank (think it is actually woodbine terrace) no matter what you asked for just short back and sides. My brother reckoned he was Jewish and cut hair in a concentration camp, how true I don't know but he could certainly shave hair quick enough so could have been true. Everybody had a flat cap and would smell of tabs and brylcreem. It was a very different time - no metro sexuals back then.
I think I used to go there

Early seventies i think everyhouse took the echo whether delivered or bought from the shop.i only did two streets beechwood and chestnut cres about sixty papers,people waiting at the shop unbelievable really,today i dont know anyone that buys it.
I used to manage a paper shop in thorney late seventies we used to shift 6 or 7 hundred echoes every day bar sarrada, hard to believe , I can’t remember when I even last saw one never mind read it!

Jimmy and Gilbert who pretty much ran it when we were growing up in the seventies and eighties. Can't remember their Dad although know all about him. Gave us a box of old programmes and an old school brown casey.

Used to work for Jimmy (Jr) in mid-late 80’s, newspaper boy then in shop😊
Think Gilbert ran the shop, then Jimmy (Jr).
Jimmy had a son, Tim who died around 1990 .

Back