Storm Babet

We've had a right time of it round here (I'm on the border between Nottingham and Derby). Half the houses in the street flooded. our cellar filled completely (which is really worrying since our electric stuff is all wired in down there - thankfully we got a pump running just before it got that high). Gas mains have sprung leaks all over the shop so we've had all the utility guys out overnight in and out of all the houses monitoring it all and now the water's gone they're trying to fix it all. Then at one point Mountain Rescue were randomly assembling outside our front window - thought they'd be evacuating us cos they had done other bits of the street - but nope.

Now got half the gas board digging up the street out the front of the houses to try to get to the knackered gas mains.

Utility guys have been utter legends - haven't seen anything from the local county or district council who have been utterly useless.

It's been absolutely mental the chaos down here. Derby city centre was completely underwater, and most of the area around us has flooded badly. I've lived round here for 15+ years and have never seen anything like it (normally we're lucky that the local park acts as the flood plain and everywhere does OK). Guy from National Grid was telling us that it's been the strangest flooding - the areas they expected that normally flood have been fine, but the areas that have never flooded have been absolutely battered.

Road is still closed down from us and idiots keep moving the barriers and trying their luck going through the water (it's a dip so tends to get a bit of standing water) - it's gradually backing up with knackered BMWs now.
Much goverment support agencies involved or just left to defend for yourselves?

Much goverment support agencies involved or just left to defend for yourselves?

Nothing at all - not seen the Environment Agency at all.
Local council guys came, with 30 sandbags for the entire area, stood around, told their mate "I have no idea what to do" and stuck a couple of "flood" signs out to state the obvious - and then were never seen again.

We've been incredibly lucky cos the road is slightly higher on this side than the other side - guys over the road were completely flooded - we just have a water feature in the cellars (not posh - it's a 1910 house and they all have them around here).

Nothing at all - not seen the Environment Agency at all.
Local council guys came, with 30 sandbags for the entire area, stood around, told their mate "I have no idea what to do" and stuck a couple of "flood" signs out to state the obvious - and then were never seen again.

We've been incredibly lucky cos the road is slightly higher on this side than the other side - guys over the road were completely flooded - we just have a water feature in the cellars (not posh - it's a 1910 house and they all have them around here).
I don't think there's been a COBRA meeting yet too

Road is still closed down from us and idiots keep moving the barriers and trying their luck going through the water (it's a dip so tends to get a bit of standing water) - it's gradually backing up with knackered BMWs now.
Or driving on pathways

Logon or register to see this image

They got that sick of the cars trying to get through on our road some of the locals tried closing it off using Union Jack bunting left over from the Coronation at one point.

I love Brits though - there's an aerial drone shot going around showing the local area - they'd sent the drone up basically to try to check if the local supermarket was open!

Back