Stoke fan here in peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks – Stoke fan here in peace.

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more.

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article“Us and Them.” For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal:
  1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?
  2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
  3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?
  4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
  5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views.

If you can be arsed, thanks for your time.

Take care of yourselves,
Lee Hawthorne @ORFYDUCKMAG

1, I have a good friend who is Stoke daft follows them everywhere and I kind of keep an eye on them because of this.

2, Pulis and that team that went up into the Premier, Fuller, Delap, Etherington etc. Like it or lump it for a period Stoke played a style of football that was effective and had most of the big guns flapping and the rest of the league talking!👍

3, Remember a Monday night game at the SOL, 0-0 draw and it was horrendous and freezing! also remember Stoke beating us 1-0 at Roker Park in the mid 90’s when Nigel Gleghorn played for you I was pretty young at that time.

4, Always seem pretty vocal and seem to travel in good numbers.

5, Unfortunately I have never been to either, but I suspect a bit like ourselves when you change from an old ground like the Victoria Ground to a new stadium a bit of atmosphere is lost and it seems a bit more sedate that what I can remember growing up!

Hope this helps pal, just my thoughts and pretty sure people will have very different options to me but good luck and hopefully we all get to see our teams finish of this season.

Stoke being our B team when we were in the Premier league and taking all of our rejects.

Then making those rejects play better than they ever did for us.

Now I would snap your hand off to be your B team we are that shite.

1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?
  2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
  4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
  5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

1. Start with Stoke City, can't escape word association and eventually ends with Peter Rabbit.
2. Peter Crouch
3. Enjoyed multiple 2-0 wins.
4. ---
5. ---

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more.

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article“Us and Them.” For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal:

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views.

Take care of yourselves,
1. Dad’s got a mate who’s a Stoke fan, so always taken a bit more interest in you. Feel a bit sad that you’re in your current situation. Stoke’s a good away day.

2. Joe Allen’s a class act. James McClean’s scum.

3. Hated the defeat away at your place, 16-17. Watched Didier Ndong’s disasterclass away at a poor Stoke side (think it was 19th vs 20th at the time.) Relegation was a matter of time and it was clear we weren’t getting away that year, even though it was early in the season.

4. No lasting impressions.

5. Bet365 Stadium is freezing. If I remember correctly the corners weren’t added until recently. Never went to the Victoria.

Take care of yourselves,

1. Non entity really, not in our part of the country sp why would we even think about Stoke City.
1.Gordon Banks.
1. in the 70's at your place in the FA cup, fuckin hell on.
1. decent home crowds, cannot say you have ever brought many up here though.
1. Victoria ground was a typical old style ground, similar to Roker Park, never been to the new one.

oh and fuck off as well.

I didn't realise how many people from the North East had moved there. Talked to some Stoke fans in the Harbour one season and 2 of them were Sunderland fans who had grown up there.

Another of those places that seems to be a shithole that has very nice surroundings.

The 5 towns thing in 1 city is weird too ... they fight each other in the absence of anyone from elsewhere:)

Loads from your area moved down to work in the Pits. Boring fact alert, but at the height of the countries mining, Stoke had the most mines per population in the entire country.

There is an area of Newcastle Under Lyme called Parksite, which is a heavy ex mining area and there are loads of your lot that moved there and still live there. One married into my mums side of the family and their relations are all Sunderland fans who still travel up for games now, hence one of the reasons I post on here!

Sorry to be pedantic, but there are 6 towns that make up our great city. Hanley, Stoke, Burslem, Tunstall, Longton and Fenton.

Less said about Burslem the better though. Bit of a funny black and white smell up that way. I'm sure you'll understand that one...😜

Loads from your area moved down to work in the Pits. Boring fact alert, but at the height of the countries mining, Stoke had the most mines per population in the entire country.

There is an area of Newcastle Under Lyme called Parksite, which is a heavy ex mining area and there are loads of your lot that moved there and still live there. One married into my mums side of the family and their relations are all Sunderland fans who still travel up for games now, hence one of the reasons I post on here!

Sorry to be pedantic, but there are 6 towns that make up our great city. Hanley, Stoke, Burslem, Tunstall, Longton and Fenton.

Less said about Burslem the better though. Bit of a funny black and white smell up that way. I'm sure you'll understand that one...😜
Cheers for the input mate

Before the game yes you are correct. Afterwards nope.
I was there sir... where you?
we all know about it man. 6000 of you rocked into stoke and gave it the big un. Word soon got round and little old Stoke bashed the fuck out of yous.
Sunderland on the other hand went to Stoke mob handed and sat in their boozer all afternoon and they never showed.speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Take care of yourselves,
6IAR

we all know about it man. 6000 of you rocked into stoke and gave it the big un. Word soon got round and little old Stoke bashed the fuck out of yous.
Sunderland on the other hand went to Stoke mob handed and sat in their boozer all afternoon and they never showed.speaks volumes.

We certainly did not, at least not the group i was with which included my (now) missus. Yes we, like SAFC, have our share or idiots however that day was not a case of those who fancied against like minded individuals.

On the second point.... so what. I sat in the Lambton Worm before the 2-2 SOL match with 2 other Mags. You lot did nothing...… speaks volumes i assume?

1. Generally see Stoke as a dour team, similar to us in recent years.
2. The Stoke team in the early 1970's was a very good side, won the league cup, and unlucky in 2 successive FA cup semi finals v Arsenal. In recent years, the number of ex Sunderland players in your team made it a game to look out for. Pulis made you into an effective team, hard to beat by playing horrific football. I despise the IRA symphathiser from Londonderry.
3/4. First trip to Victoria Ground 1977/78 season, boring 0-0 draw in the punk rock era. Loads of Sunderland sat down on the terraces and jumped up as one. Boogie! 2nd and last time was a midweek game in 1995/96 , Rod Wallace scored for you I think in a 1-0 win. My son was due to be born a week later so I had to keep going to the phone box to see if Mrs TVM (no) was ok. First trip to the Britannia Stadium was a 1-0 win for us, Michael Bridges scored for us , was a very cold day. Last time I was there was 16/17 season, you won 2-0, should have been 5-0, you know when you are piss poor when the Stoke fans are singing "You're f***ing shit", which was true.
5. Victoria Ground was better, Britannia Stadium just doesn't do it for me.

We certainly did not, at least not the group i was with which included my (now) missus. Yes we, like SAFC, have our share or idiots however that day was not a case of those who fancied against like minded individuals.

On the second point.... so what. I sat in the Lambton Worm before the 2-2 SOL match with 2 other Mags. You lot did nothing...… speaks volumes i assume?
You got a hiding man just accept it.

I've never actually met a Stoke fan in my life.

And apart from Robbie Williams I cannot ever recall actually knowing anybody from Stoke.

Only ever visited the old ground.

And the only thing that comes to my mind in recent times is you had a player that could take long throw ins.

You mentioned the phrase "non entity" in your questions so you have answered the main question yourself really.

Having read through these posts you seam to be like a very shit version of Middlesborough.

Always hated your lot. You've cost me hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Around 65/66 season or next visited your place for a game. Your hooligans chased us and i found refuge in a pub. Too young to drink and hadn't even tried beer but it was safer to stay and as i am 6'4" no body questioned my age. The lads i was with bought me a few beers and a few more and since then I've continued to waste a bloody lot of money.
Thankyou.

1. I’ve got next to no opinion on Stoke whatsoever.
  2. I thought it was funny when you had Delap in your team and basically shithoused your way to victory in your ‘PL glory days’. I’m no football snob. Used to love seeing you upset the big boys.
  3. Match that sticks out in my mind was on a weekday. Was the game after we beat Newcastle back in 2008. Went into a bar pre-match and have never felt hostility like it from your lot. Not judging all your fans but the ones in that pub came across as backwards / idiots.
  4. Can’t remember your lot making much of an impression on me numbers / noise wise at the SOL. Your home support sounded good on TV games when you were going through your PL years.
  5. Never went to your old ground. Your new ground is standard identikit. Nothing unique about it.

1. Whilst in the premier league, a rival to avoid relegation. One of the myriad of clubs who made up the numbers. Very unappealing fixture with Pulis at the helm.
2. Other than Rory Delap's throws, I struggle to remember anyone who made an impression.
3. I remember winning at the old ground in old Div 1. In the PL era, your style of play made me hate every fixture.
4. Home games - noisy. I have noticed that in % terms, you have a lot of glory hunters who have disappeared (up to 30%)
5. New one is easy enough to find, although filling the corners would have made it less windy. I last attended the old one when I was 16, so struggle to remember that far back!

1. Stoke are a average size championship club. Nowt wrong with that . It's what were aiming for atm!
2 Rory delap. That was Stoke for yrs. f***ing dreadful. Ball boys towels to dry the balls. 2 mins for every throw in.
3. When huth got a red card against meyler, and pulis made a massive deal over it.
I didnt mind the fact he wanted to stop cheating and diving, and was vocal about it, but he picked the wrong time. That was a clear red. If meyler hasn't jumped out of the way he'd have had his leg broke, and he'd only been back a short time from his 2nd cruciate leg injury
Pulis was totally in the wrong, embarrassed himself, lost the appeal and lost any credibility in his campaign against cheating /diving in that one instance.
4. I hate that delilah song. It's awful. When I feel miserable I think about it and it cheers me up that we don't sing it.
5. Had a big fight nr the graveyards at your old ground, 25vyr ago.
There were 15 of us, all 17-20 Yr old, not looking for any bother, and id say about 50-60 old blokes aged 30-50 came at us.
We fought for a bit, ran for a bit and then another group of stoke men with kids and I think lasses decided that 50 on to 15 wasn't enough, so they kicked a few of us on the floor.
Sums up their "supporters" to a T for me that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back