Stocks n Shares ISA

If youve exhausted other avenues then premium bonds has its merits given the guarantee. It doesn’t bear interest though is the point Longy was making I think. They probably will increase the prize pool but it will be nowhere near 18%! Be lucky to see 3%
I’ve had a fair few winners recently and now I have learnt to use the winners check thing after being scolded by @Nookie Bear 😉

I have won more than any interest would have paid me so I am happy.

So minus 10% or minus 8.05%. Great :(

If you want to protect your spending power n a high inflation environment then you're going to have to avoid cash and take risk.

Sounds like it's an emergency pot though, so yeah you're screwed. I think you've already dabbled, but you could consider P2P lending.

Last edited:
If you want a bit of a risk, there is loanpad p2p (it's probably the least risky p2p choice). Currently 4.2% on a 60 day notice, increasing to 4.4% by October
I always think that the extra £70pm per £50k or whatever (over s guaranteed and protected savings) isn't really worth the capital risk.

If you want to protect your spending power n a high inflation environment then you're going to have to avoid cash and take risk.

Sounds like it's an emergency pot though, so yeah you're screwed. I think you've already dabbled, but you could consider P2P lending.
I’d go stocks and shares isa index fund, something like Vanguard life 100

Our long term savings is in a 80/20 (iirc). How fast can you get out of say, a 50/50 fund if I needed to draw down £1-2k per month to cover expenses between jobs?
I use Vanguards own website and platform, and can get cash out in 4 working days, sometimes sooner. I’m no expert though, and those who know more might view my approach as sub optimal.

Our long term savings is in a 80/20 (iirc). How fast can you get out of say, a 50/50 fund if I needed to draw down £1-2k per month to cover expenses between jobs?
When selling to withdraw it generally sells at the close of the next days trading so you will have to wait a few days minimum to get the cash in your bank.

If you sell on a Friday afternoon say, then the wait will be at least four days because trading stays closed over the weekend.

This is just my experience and I use Vanguards own website.

I use Vanguards own website and platform, and can get cash out in 4 working days, sometimes sooner. I’m no expert though, and those who know more might view my approach as sub optimal.
Realised I never followed up on this.

Opened a 2nd product on my Vanguard account just now. Already had a Life 80 product with them for the kids' long term savings plan. Created a new 40 plan and transferred my personal cash ISA over in its entirity. So expect a huge stock market crash any time from next week chaps :lol:

Realised I never followed up on this.

Opened a 2nd product on my Vanguard account just now. Already had a Life 80 product with them for the kids' long term savings plan. Created a new 40 plan and transferred my personal cash ISA over in its entirity. So expect a huge stock market crash any time from next week chaps :lol:
This man can see the future!

I’ve just logged in to see the damage on my Vanguard account. I wish I hadn’t.

Thank you Liz Truss.

This man can see the future!

I’ve just logged in to see the damage on my Vanguard account. I wish I hadn’t.

Thank you Liz Truss.
Stay invested. Like all stock market crashes before it in all of history the recovery will come soon enough. It will get worse before it gets better but it will get better. Recent examples include the start of the COVID pandemic (March 2020), the 3 month bear market in 2018, global financial crisis of 2008, September 11th and the dot com bubble (2000), with loads of little ones in between. Markets recovered quickly from all of them and then some. TIME IN the markets makes long term returns not TIMING the markets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay invested. Like all stock market crashes before it in all of history the recovery will come soon enough. It will get worse before it gets better but it will get better. Recent examples include the start of the COVID pandemic (March 2020), the 3 month bear market in 2018, global financial crisis of 2008, September 11th and the dot com bubble (2000), with loads of little ones in between. Markets recovered quickly from all of them and then some. TIME IN the markets makes long term returns not TIMING the markets.
Thanks, appreciated.
I wasn't going to shift anything but I just wanted to see how this turmoil directly affected me. In my case it's meant a 25K loss from about mid- August. I suppose I could say that the gains I saw then were illusory as they are only realised when I cash in, but even so seeing the red numbers is always unpleasant.
Fortunately I don't have a mortgage so I've not that to worry about, but this was all so unnecessary. Party of economic prudence my arse.

Thanks, appreciated.
I wasn't going to shift anything but I just wanted to see how this turmoil directly affected me. In my case it's meant a 25K loss from about mid- August. I suppose I could say that the gains I saw then were illusory as they are only realised when I cash in, but even so seeing the red numbers is always unpleasant.
Fortunately I don't have a mortgage so I've not that to worry about, but this was all so unnecessary. Party of economic prudence my arse.
Covid wiped a third off my pension it was back to where it was 18 months later. Dropped again now like but not as much.

Thanks, appreciated.
What fund(s) do you invest in with Vanguard?

The other problem with de-risking at this moment in time is that the bond market is also fucked. It will also take longer to recover than the equity markets so a portfolio consisting of global equities with good (not necessarily cheap) fund managers is typically the best way to invest long term.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back