Steve Harley RIP

Come up and see me was the first dance at our wedding, or it would have been if the band weren’t already so pissed they forgot to play it first! Great memories nonetheless. RIP Steve.

Was it not this gig?

Really sad, RIP Steve
I saw him with the full orchestra , when he played the Sage in 2014. It was a very good show.
I first saw him with Cockney Rebel around the early 70's , at the Mecca ( where the Tesco store is now). I recall him introduce the band members during the show, then saying " and my name is Sebastian"
I was also at the Fire Station show last summer, he got great support from the crowd. It was a bit of a shock hearing the news today.
It's a sad loss!
R.I.P Steve.

Great song

RIP Steve
I think it’s the greatest pop song ever written. It’s all subjective I know but it’s just one of a very small number of pop songs that is just perfection. There’s nothing you could do to improve it. The only other examples that spring to mind are Teenage Kicks by the Undertones and Kiss by Prince. And I say that as a lifelong punk 😂.

Despite the great bands of the 70s whenever I hear this song it reminds me of that decade,,,being 18, crazy, in love for the first time. having mates you'd die for, and all the promise and fear the future held.

Best years of our lives they were indeed.

Exactly this . The sound of an exact moment in time , Judy Teen and i was 16 , cant remember ever having future based thoughts at the time , beyond the weekend anyway .
RIP Steve

RIP some great singles.
He was on Steve Wright years ago and was calling him big nose while Wright called him stumpy or summet similarly insulting to someone with a limp. I was a bit shocked tbh but it turned out they’d gone to school together and Wrights brother was his best marra then.
I’ve his greatest hits cd upstairs in a pile with hundreds of others atm. Think I’ll give it a fresh listen.

RIP some great singles.
He was on Steve Wright years ago and was calling him big nose while Wright called him stumpy or summet similarly insulting to someone with a limp. I was a bit shocked tbh but it turned out they’d gone to school together and Wrights brother was his best marra then.
I’ve his greatest hits cd upstairs in a pile with hundreds of others atm. Think I’ll give it a fresh listen.
He'd had polio bad when he was a kid and that left him with that terrible limp / shuffle. A lot of his gigs I'd seen he was usually helped from side stage to the mike stand at the front of the stage.

Back