Star Trek : Discovery

On watching Wrath of Khan at the moment, Ricardo Montalbán was simply the right casting for Khan, the bloke was a legend!

Is there a cut of the film that actually mentions the link between Scotty and the young engineering cadet who he carried out of the turbo lift onto the bridge?

In the novelisation of the film, it expands on the fact that the lad is Scotty’s nephew, and the cadet wanted to prove to everybody that he wasn’t there just because his uncle is the chief engineer.

On watching Wrath of Khan at the moment, Ricardo Montalbán was simply the right casting for Khan, the bloke was a legend!

Is there a cut of the film that actually mentions the link between Scotty and the young engineering cadet who he carried out of the turbo lift onto the bridge?

In the novelisation of the film, it expands on the fact that the lad is Scotty’s nephew, and the cadet wanted to prove to everybody that he wasn’t there just because his uncle is the chief engineer.
2 minutes and 6 seconds in....

Just about to watch latest ep of The Orville.

They've cast Rob Lowe as the blue fella who rattled the first officer / ex wife :lol:
Just seen it. Again, another good episode.

I think it might be because of some kind of new law equal opps and all that. I just think its pushing it a bit like doing it in entertainment shows.
To anyone with any sort of logic it is. But in America there's laws and regulations saying you need to have a certain percentage of your workforce as Black.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination

To anyone with any sort of logic it is. But in America there's laws and regulations saying you need to have a certain percentage of your workforce as Black.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination
Depends who you work for.

I don’t mind them updating things in line with advances in technology like I said before, but to just totally redesign the ships so they could easily be something from Red Dwarf throws our 50 yrs of history. They seem to have kept the general design of the Federation ships so why not the Klingons?
I don’t even mind too much about the Klingons new look but their society seems to be like gang warfare which doesn’t fit in with Klingon history as portrayed in TNG.
I’m hoping the war is the thing that changes the Klingons to what we know of them.
Discovery is set in an alternative time line so history can be ignored.

He was and is still, the best Khan.

Well we will see soon, after this weeks episode there’s going to be some sort of reveal/ explanation regarding where or when they are and there’s the Tyler situation..............
They did the same in the latest trek films which are set even earlier than discovery. The technology in the films is far better than what they had years later when Kirk was older. Given how much scifi films have improved since the sixties when the original series was made the improvements are understandable.
Having said that I'd have liked to have seen a trek prequel TV show made with a young original crew copying the sixties style and no 2010's digital displays and other upgrades seen in the films. Infact just a copy of the sixties set with the same uniforms consoles, displays and other paraphernalia. I think it would have been well received.

I thought it was set before TOS, but in an alternate timeline. Hence Harry Mudd?
It is its set ten years before Kirk. At least that's what they said on that show after discovery where they analyse it all.

Last edited:
They did the same in the latest trek films which are set even earlier than discovery. The technology in the films is far better than what they had years later when Kirk was older. Given how much scifi films have improved since the sixties when the original series was made the improvements are understandable.
Having said that I'd have liked to have seen a trek prequel TV show made with a young original crew copying the sixties style and no 2010's digital displays and other upgrades seen in the films. Infact just a copy of the sixties set with the same uniforms consoles, displays and other paraphernalia. I think it would have been well received.

It is its set ten years before Kirk. At least that's what they said on that show after discovery where they analyse it all.
I don’t mind the upgrade in technology, some of the future technology in TOS we already have so it would be a bit daft showing it as something from a couple of hundred years from now.
It’s the changes in Trek history I’ve got more of a problem with, there’s loads of examples from loads of posters in the thread already.
That’s why I hope in some way things change or are reset for Season 2.
Re Mudd I think they said it was the prime timeline but not which Universe !

Last edited:
I don’t mind the upgrade in technology, some of the future technology in TOS we already have so it would be a bit daft showing it as something from a couple of hundred years from now.
It’s the changes in Trek history I’ve got more of a problem with, there’s loads of examples from loads of posters in the thread already.
That’s why I hope in some way things change or are reset for Season 2.
Re Mudd I think they said it was the prime timeline but not which Universe !
By having discovery set in an alternative timeline or alternative universe it gave them carte blanche to change whatever history they wanted to change. As well as keep whatever characters from previous shows they wanted to keep and explain away why technology was more advanced than 10 years before TOS.
One of the worst changes for me is the Klingons. As I said earlier in the thread they were Mexican looking blokes with goatee beards and taches when in the original series. For them to have looked like shrivelled up wallnuts with 2 sets of nostrils 10 years earlier is a bit daft really.

By having discovery set in an alternative timeline or alternative universe it gave them carte blanche to change whatever history they wanted to change. As well as keep whatever characters from previous shows they wanted to keep and explain away why technology was more advanced than 10 years before TOS.
One of the worst changes for me is the Klingons. As I said earlier in the thread they were Mexican looking blokes with goatee beards and taches when in the original series. For them to have looked like shrivelled up wallnuts with 2 sets of nostrils 10 years earlier is a bit daft really.
Don’t mind the new Klingons new prosthetics mean they can move on from the original Gaucho Klingons.
I’m hoping that some of the fan theories re Tyler are wrong, I quite like the character and where they could potentially go with him.

Called it.
Alternative timeline is hardly calling it mate. we don't know where they are yet or where they came from and certainly nothing to say they just came from the Kelvin timeline

I have to say this was better than all previous episodes put together. The torture and rape scenes of the security officer are actually surgery and making love further confirming him as the albino Klingon

Last edited:
Alternative timeline is hardly calling it mate. we don't know where they are yet or where they came from and certainly nothing to say they just came from the Kelvin timeline

I have to say this was better than all previous episodes put together. The torture and rape scenes of the security officer are actually surgery and making love further confirming him as the albino Klingon

I believe Jonathan Frakes called it first anyway.

Back