Star Trek : Discovery

Remember Burnham's work assignment that she had questions about?

Logon or register to see this image

If you've ever done Windows programming, look closely. That's a dump of the Windows APIs being used by some app or other, which actually turns out to be the Stuxnet virus (that was used by the CIA to disable the Iranian nuclear centrifuges).

The red bit isn't a "DNA problem", it's the Stuxnet virus asking Windows for its own handle, possibly to find out where on disk it's being run from.

I'm not sure whether to be more shocked that Starfleet is still using Windows in the year 2256, or that they're relying on a 250 year old computer virus to beat the Klingons. ;)
Maybe that’s Discovery’s secret mission, to identify a new computer operating system for starfleet!

Remember Burnham's work assignment that she had questions about?

Logon or register to see this image

If you've ever done Windows programming, look closely. That's a dump of the Windows APIs being used by some app or other, which actually turns out to be the Stuxnet virus (that was used by the CIA to disable the Iranian nuclear centrifuges).

The red bit isn't a "DNA problem", it's the Stuxnet virus asking Windows for its own handle, possibly to find out where on disk it's being run from.

I'm not sure whether to be more shocked that Starfleet is still using Windows in the year 2256, or that they're relying on a 250 year old computer virus to beat the Klingons. ;)
(Holds hand up)

On a linked note, anyone watching The Orville Still? You know what, 4 eps in and I like it!
Its not trying to be funny as fuck. It's a bit like a light TNG.
People saying it's not a funny enough comedy don't seem to be getting it. It's McFarlane homage to TNG, just with the odd gag.
I'm enjoying it cos the stories, sfx, back ground music's are all like TNGs episodic stories (before DS9 and Ent went all serialised).

On a linked note, anyone watching The Orville Still? You know what, 4 eps in and I like it!
People saying it's not a funny enough comedy don't seem to be getting it. It's McFarlane homage to TNG, just with the odd gag.
I'm enjoying it cos the stories, sfx, back ground music's are all like TNGs episodic stories (before DS9 and Ent went all serialised).
Aye, it's more like star trek than trek is now.

Very good summing up.. I'm enjoying it.

And while I'm on hijacking the fuck outta this thread of geeks:lol::cool:, did any of you lot watch Dark Matter?

Don't think I've seen a smb thread on it but it looks like all the attempts to revive it are dead.

Can't believe syfy cancelled it tbh. Brilliant proper dark space opera imo .

Pity the likes if netflix haven't picked it up.
Even though it's gone, if you haven't seen it I recommend it

Aye, it's more like star trek than trek is now.
Mate, the odd gag aside, it's TNG

Really enjoying it, plus it's got the fittest first officer ever!

And while I'm on hijacking the fuck outta this thread of geeks:lol::cool:, did any of you lot watch Dark Matter?

Don't think I've seen a smb thread on it but it looks like all the attempts to revive it are dead.

Can't believe syfy cancelled it tbh. Brilliant proper dark space opera imo .

Pity the likes if netflix haven't picked it up.
Even though it's gone, if you haven't seen it I recommend it

Mate, the odd gag aside, it's TNG

Used to enjoy Dark Matter, some good characters in it, the android had some good moments too (plus was a a wad too)

Actually I think she's cute in a Lt. Barkley sort of way. She's got some canny curves too and lovely ginger hair. I'm going to ask her to marry me and have ginger babies. Star Trek is real right?
I just wish Lorca / Issacs could have kept his British accent and be honourable.. He'd be the next Picard.
Just watching Black Hawk Down and Issacs has the exact same southern drawl accent. It must be his go to American accent!

Bumperoony

The reviews for E04 aren't very pleasant.

I hope this isn’t what we have to look forward to the rest of the season. Because if so, this show is in bad shape. This is a mess of an episode, full of subplots that don’t fit well together as the writers try to maintain serialization while still telling a coherent, standalone tale.

Update: Well I've watched it and thought it was the best one so far, if you can cope with the silliness of slug powered space travel.

Jason Isaacs is still excellent, and the annoying ginger lass still has her head nipple and is still annoying.

(I booked our media room and hooked my Chromecast to the projector - I wonder how many weeks I can get away with doing this for :lol:)

Last edited:
Off to an interview in a bit, will watch EP4 when I get in tonight.
Watched the first 3 episodes last night, a lot darker than I remember Star Trek being, though I only watched the first couple of seasons of DS9.

As for that head nipple thing, you utter bastard, thats now stuck in my brain:lol:

Back