Stamp Collection - advice needed please.

Corbett's in Newcastle.

Took ours there years ago, stamps from nazi Germany, from the 20s and 30s from the far East from counties that don't exist anymore, loads from the former eastern bloc, ones from South America and Palestine , all collected by my Belgian Jewish grandpa who escaped the holocaust and was in Israel as a teenager during its birth, loads of Israeli stamps etc..

The bloke looked at them for about 15 seconds and said 'nah not worth nowt'
My grandad used to be Corbett’s business partner when it was Corbett and Hunter, he then opened his own shop on Stockton Road. T. F. Hunter.

I have been given a large collection of stamps (thousands) many of them are foreign.

They are in an album but not organised and many are loose.

I have no idea of the value but would be interested to know what this collection is worth.

My dilemma is taking it to an unscrupulous dealer who could easily take a valuable stamp out and I would not know it had gone.

Can anyone recommend a good, honest, expert locally who could do a valuation?

Many thanks.

Unlikely to be worth anything if they haven't been organised or just loose.

However,

What sort of person collected them?

If a well off professional, might be worth a look.

Can't blame me for trying Jeff 🙄
I'll send you a pretty coloured one for being a scamp - There are a few from Venezuala that are fabulous. I think they are worth a million quid but hey what do I know.
Unlikely to be worth anything if they haven't been organised or just loose.

However,

What sort of person collected them?

If a well off professional, might be worth a look.
They were collected in the late 50s early 60s by someone who worked in International Import/export. Hence most are foreign from more or less every country in the world but not that many British stamps.

Some are mounted in a very old looking Vanguard Pocket Stamp Album and include stamps from Uganda, Tanganyika, Germany complete with Swastikas!, Jamaica, Italy etc.

There is a lot more than I thought - 1 book has 6,750 spaces!!

Last edited:
I'll send you a pretty coloured one for being a scamp - There are a few from Venezuala that are fabulous. I think they are worth a million quid but hey what do I know.

They were collected in the late 50s early 60s by someone who worked in International Import/export. Hence most are foreign from more or less every country in the world but not that many British stamps.

Some are mounted in a very old looking Vanguard Pocket Stamp Album and include stamps from Uganda, Tanganyika, Germany complete with Swastikas!, Jamaica, Italy etc.

There is a lot more than I thought - 1 book has 6,750 spaces!!

You could try selling them on e-bay - lots of collections sell on there. Most have been picked clean of anything valuable, and don't fetch much, but they might respond well to that story. Dealers might be prepared to take a punt.

You could always put in a hefty starting point for bidding - say £250 + postage.

Or you could start a new hobby!

I have been given a large collection of stamps (thousands) many of them are foreign.

I have no idea of the value but would be interested to know what this collection is worth.

My dilemma is taking it to an unscrupulous dealer who could easily take a valuable stamp out and I would not know it had gone.

Many thanks.
I can recommend Boldon Auctions, they'll give you a honest estimate and sell them for you if you wish - take a look at their calendar for a free valuation day, they're quite frequent but what with Covid you'd be best to ring them first

"Our auction house Newcastle is the busiest in the region, come along see for yourself." Now the mags have annexed Boldon, who's next, Redhouse? Downhill? Town End Farm?

Corbett's in Newcastle.

Took ours there years ago, stamps from nazi Germany, from the 20s and 30s from the far East from counties that don't exist anymore, loads from the former eastern bloc, ones from South America and Palestine , all collected by my Belgian Jewish grandpa who escaped the holocaust and was in Israel as a teenager during its birth, loads of Israeli stamps etc..

We had a very similar experience with Corbett’s quite possible it was the right answer mind.

My Grandad, who owned the stamp shop mentioned above wold tell me that 99% of the stamps he valued were worthless. He had sheets of unused penny blacks and even they weren’t wort a huge amount. THe ones that were valuable were the misprints

Corbett's in Newcastle.

That’s pretty much my experience of getting a collection valued :lol:

I was told that a certain generation often collected stamps, so for all collections look well presented they often do not contain rare stamps

Thanks for all the advice - it’s really appreciated. There appears to be some nazi related stamps and no idea how the person who did the collection would have acquired them.

I’m going to research how to properly present them as this seems to affect the value but I’m probably not sitting on a fortune.

Thanks again.

We had a very similar experience with Corbett’s quite possible it was the right answer mind.
So did I. With post cards. He said some of them were worth £10-£30 each but by the time he sorted, logged, researched and advertised them it would not be worth it.

Many thanks.

Normally says on the front

I hoped for 1 sensible reply.

You mean a sensible post?

(Apologies, and good luck)

Back