St Leonards Durham rebuild

I know there's a number of old pupils on here and I thought you might like to see the walk through video of the new school.

lived very nearby and used to zoom around the school on me bmx like the cool little bastard i once was.

Durham johnston lad however clearly didn't pay attention to all this hardest school nonsense. I guess i was a lover not a fighter...

I know there's a number of old pupils on here and I thought you might like to see the walk through video of the new school.

The big extension is full of RAAC concrete and is due to be pulled down imminently. They are going to build a brand new school, then remove the front extension to open up the facade of the old manor house. The white buildings on the video are the manor house and the exisiting sixth form block which is unaffected by RAAC.

Thanks Becs. Completely unrecognizable from my days.

Mind I scored some mint goals on that playground.

The big extension is full of RAAC concrete and is due to be pulled down imminently. They are going to build a brand new school, then remove the front extension to open up the facade of the old manor house. The white buildings on the video are the manor house and the exisiting sixth form block which is unaffected by RAAC.

That does look great mind. Especially if they’re separating off the original old Manor House.

Not sure how that grass will look when there’s 1200 kids trampling all over it mind as opposed to the 27 well behaved ones in the simulation.

Not sure if this one’s unique but I know a headteacher who’s school is being rebuilt and it’s really prescriptive.

There are basically set templates and they get to choose a few things almost like speccing a new build. Which all makes sense and is a sensible way to do it.

But what shocked me was that if you want anything at all bespoke the costs seem ludicrous compared to usual building costs. They wanted something like another door into the reception/office to separate children who are late in the morning from children coming for other enquiries and it was going to be about 10k.

They wanted a Senco room painted differently and it was going to be thousands.

It seems it might be a bit like the horror stories in the NHS where providers used to charge ridiculous costs for things like changing a lightbulb.

They had a couple of hundred k put aside but she said what it would get them was next to nothing.

Seems ludicrous.

Heard they've been bussing the kids to Ushaw College and blocking transfers out of the school.

They have been using Ushaw but don't know about blocking transfers. The RAAC was announced just before they were due to go back in September. The ended up going back slightly later and were on online learning.

When they did go back physically, they had younger children in the sixth form and other random places like crammed into offices trying to write on clipboards and stuff like that. My daughter was in sixth form and she was being sent to different external buildings like the Radisson hotel and the catholic trust headquarters in Washington.

They put partitions up in the sports hall to create temporary classrooms in there, then moved Year 7 and Year 8 to Ushaw College. That gave sixth formers the sixth form block back.

They've got plenty temporary classrooms in the tents over the road now, so everyone is back on the one site kind of! They're taking the classrooms out of the sports hall now, so it can go back to being used for sport.

It's just been mad!

They have been using Ushaw but don't know about blocking transfers. The RAAC was announced just before they were due to go back in September. The ended up going back slightly later and were on online learning.

When they did go back physically, they had younger children in the sixth form and other random places like crammed into offices trying to write on clipboards and stuff like that. My daughter was in sixth form and she was being sent to different external buildings like the Radisson hotel and the catholic trust headquarters in Washington.

They put partitions up in the sports hall to create temporary classrooms in there, then moved Year 7 and Year 8 to Ushaw College. That gave sixth formers the sixth form block back.

They've got plenty temporary classrooms in the tents over the road now, so everyone is back on the one site kind of! They're taking the classrooms out of the sports hall now, so it can go back to being used for sport.

It's just been mad!
Sounds like the good old days bussing us up to the tin school in Gilesgate 2 days a week.

Back