Sri Lanka vs England 1st Test Galle

Excellent from Root and Kevin the Teenager there. Very impressive

Goes to show the importance of horses for courses in team selection. I thought JB was lucky to get picked but he's a much stronger batsman on these wickets. Bess answered the critics also excellent intelligent bowling from Broad and good captaincy in the field.

Are highlights of this on anywhere later? I don't have a sky sports subscription.

There'll be stuff on Sky's website that anyone can watch (naturally full of adverts mind). I watched most of Sri Lanka's wickets on there but they always put up a brief highlights thing (usually 5 minutes or so)

There'll be stuff on Sky's website that anyone can watch (naturally full of adverts mind). I watched most of Sri Lanka's wickets on there but they always put up a brief highlights thing (usually 5 minutes or so)
Cheers, so no dedicated highlights show. Channel 5 used to show one. I thought BBC had gotten the rights, or is that only for certain games?

Crawley looks a far better bet than Burns to me. Has a lot more credit in the bank with his 250+ last summer as well.
Agree. Just being flippant

Good that we finally have some competition in the batting line up

Sibley, Burns, Crawley, Root, Pope, Stokes, Lawrence (possibly), Bairstow (maybe) - all fighting for 6 spots, and that's before you bring Buttler and Foakes into the equation at 7

Good times ahead hopefully

Burns' place is looking under pressure, but I'm not sure where Bairstow would fit into the top 6 longer term as he's not a number 3. He'll do fine on these pitches but against top quality seam he will struggle. Stokes, Pope and Buttler have spots 5-7 sewn up for now so unless one of those drops out of form, it's difficult to see him being a long term fixture in the test side.

Burns' place is looking under pressure, but I'm not sure where Bairstow would fit into the top 6 longer term as he's not a number 3. He'll do fine on these pitches but against top quality seam he will struggle. Stokes, Pope and Buttler have spots 5-7 sewn up for now so unless one of those drops out of form, it's difficult to see him being a long term fixture in the test side.
I like Crawley at 3 but agree that Burn’s place is under pressure so could see him moving up.
I think Bairstow has the talent to play at 3 but I agree there is obviously the issue you mention.

However, when you look at how he is able to adapt from his one day style to playing the way he has today, and has done before (100s at 3 in SL & WI iirc) to me it’s clear he has the ability to overcome it.
It’s up to him but I wouldn’t bet against it.

I like Crawley at 3 but agree that Burn’s place is under pressure so could see him moving up.
I think Bairstow has the talent to play at 3 but I agree there is obviously the issue you mention.

However, when you look at how he is able to adapt from his one day style to playing the way he has today, and has done before (100s at 3 in SL & WI iirc) to me it’s clear he has the ability to overcome it.
It’s up to him but I wouldn’t bet against it.
The worry is that "they" are already talking up Burns as possible future captain material. He has a long way to go before he's proved himself to be test quality IMHO

Agree what you say re Bairstow, but I can't see him playing well enough against the new ball in England or Australia

Batsman for Australia in addition to this squad - pope, burns, stokes
Any outstanding or probable candidates that people think can force their way in - imo Malan could be an outside shot as batting cover if these quarantine restrictions are still in place.
Bowlers - Archer, stone, robinson

As for bairstow just don't think he is upto as a top 5 batsman outside of Asia - happy for him to be at 3 here

Last edited:
It's what separates him from the fab 3 (Smith, Williamson & Kohli) IMO. He's a level below them due to that conversion rate.

Well its not just that, those 3 play most of their crickt on flat pitches

Root plays most of his cricket in the hardest conditions to bat in

Bairstow making a couple posters look foolish there, he is an obvious pick for this tour, he may not get a big knock ths series, but he has shown why he was picked with 3 of our top 6 missing

Its not like they picked him 3 in Ashes series like, it was just logical with his record here and the players missing

Last edited:
The worry is that "they" are already talking up Burns as possible future captain material. He has a long way to go before he's proved himself to be test quality IMHO

Agree what you say re Bairstow, but I can't see him playing well enough against the new ball in England or Australia
Thing is with Bairstow he doesn’t have issues against pretty much the same attacks in white ball, albeit the formats have their differences. He’s also proved how good he is at red ball in the past. You don’t lose that ability, form is temporary etc etc.

On Burns, I don’t think it matters what they say, if he keeps dropping catches and getting no runs as he was at the end of the summer he won’t be in the side never mind being captain. I think Root is safe for the foreseeable anyway is that score. Think he could have a good year this year, touch wood.

Thing is with Bairstow he doesn’t have issues against pretty much the same attacks in white ball, albeit the formats have their differences. He’s also proved how good he is at red ball in the past. You don’t lose that ability, form is temporary etc etc.

On Burns, I don’t think it matters what they say, if he keeps dropping catches and getting no runs as he was at the end of the summer he won’t be in the side never mind being captain. I think Root is safe for the foreseeable anyway is that score. Think he could have a good year this year, touch wood.
White ball cricket - the ball doesn't move as much and the fields are far less attacking. Bowlers tend not to bowl at the stumps so much either
Test match cricket is a whole different game - pressure built up, men around the bat, nagging off stump line, moving ball etc etc

I like YJB, but I think he's a reasonable No.6 at Test match and no more than that

Back