Sri Lanka vs England 1st Test Galle

Status
Not open for further replies.

18 out of 49 is almost bang on 25% conversion rate... Out of 67 times past 50, he’s made it to 100 18 times, so 26%.... so approaching 25% as I said...

He probably will, but he could have done a lot better. Hence under achieving.

Second quickest Englishman to 8,000, will be the quickest to 10,000 and will be our highest run scorer ever. So the bloke that got more runs than anyone else and quicker than anyone else, and you want to hang him on this one minor point. You're being a bit silly.

Root is in the mix for our best ever all formats player, but he's not as good as Pietersen IMO.

It's far too difficult to consider him the best ever in a single format either but he will definitely go down as one of our best ever test and ODI batsmen.

Second quickest Englishman to 8,000, will be the quickest to 10,000 and will be our highest run scorer ever. So the bloke that got more runs than anyone else and quicker than anyone else, and you want to hang him on this one minor point. You're being a bit silly.

Only English fans would dream of finding a way to critcise one of their greatest players, he is been very silly indeed

Not sure if Root is England's greatest ever batsmen but I enjoy watching him bat because he is a wonderful touch player especially in these days of power hitting with huge modern day bats.

When the pundits talk about our lack of spin options they just lump everyone in together, they don’t actually talk about individual records

Take out Leach off field issues with serious illness, that’s a knock to anyone

On the pitch, 34 wickets at 29, run rate 2.85.

In the ashes, 12 wickets at 25

What am I missing? Why isn’t that good enough. He’s a decent spinner and The best we have. They just lump him n Bess together though. They’re still on about nonsense like packing Rashid, why is a left arm spinner averaging 29 early in his career not ok? I don’t get it

Last edited:
Think you under estimate his runs in South Africa though

Was a serious attack
Some knock by Root that, his sweeping his unbelievable, has the paddle sweep to get off strike, anything full he has his slog sweep, but he keeps it on the ground and gets his pad well out of the way, the bowling is questionable that really was a top class innings

Because Sri Lanka don't often lost at home, NZ didnt win there for starters

Massively underappreciated

He is our best ever batsman for me.

So easy on the eye too. Really hope he doesnt burn out like Cook.

He won't have the captaincy next year, which should help
Why won’t he have the captaincy next year?
Can’t see it myself.

When the pundits talk about our lack of spin options they just lump everyone in together, they don’t actually talk about individual records

Take out Leach off field issues with serious illness, that’s a knock to anyone

On the pitch, 34 wickets at 29, run rate 2.85.

In the ashes, 12 wickets at 25

What am I missing? Why isn’t that good enough. He’s a decent spinner and The best we have. They just lump him n Bess together though. They’re still on about nonsense like packing Rashid, why is a left arm spinner averaging 29 early in his career not ok? I don’t get it

This frustrates me too. From what I’ve seen he’s a cut above Bess and Rashid in red ball. Thankfully we’ll play at least two spinners all winter so I think Leach will have proved himself number 1 by the time the summer comes around.

Its not, he was appointed in Feb 2017, so was captain all that year

by the end of the ashes be 5

no chance he staying on, already done 2 ashes tours by then

Who takes over? Stokes probably but would worry about his workload maybe Buttler

Who takes over? Stokes probably but would worry about his workload maybe Buttler

Buttler barely scrapes a place in the side (his career to date suggests his great summer was a blip away from the mean unfortunately) if Lawrence and Bairstow do well this winter.

I still agree he’s probably third in line but it’s a bad state of affairs.

Its not, he was appointed in Feb 2017, so was captain all that year

by the end of the ashes be 5

no chance he staying on, already done 2 ashes tours by then
Apologies I was thinking the Ashes finished in 2021 not 2022 for some reason. I’ve lost a year somehow.

5 years, still don’t think he’ll go though. Especially if we have a good result down there.

He’ll only be 31. Strauss, Cook & Vaughan were all at least a couple years older. Plus there’s no obvious successor. They groomed him for the job & have gone on about how it’s ‘Joe’s team now’ for a while, I can’t see that ending as soon as next winter unless he steps down which I don’t see happening either.

Aggers thought the bat onto ground onto glove incident was out as well, so those on here who were fooled are in good company

Come on root 32 more runs
Big spin this morning
Both of these looking to score off every delivery

Last edited:
It can't be too long after lunch that the declaration will be made, though I'd like to see Sri Lanka make a fight of it.

The conditions have probably caught the hosts out as well as England. I can't remember Galle looking so cool and damp at this time of year.

Let's see what Sam Curran can do.

Aggers thought the bat onto ground onto glove incident was out as well, so those on here who were fooled are in good company

amazing
It can't be too long after lunch that the declaration will be made, though I'd like to see Sri Lanka make a fight of it.

The conditions have probably caught the hosts out as well as England. I can't remember Galle looking so cool and damp at this time of year.

Let's see what Sam Curran can do.

England been batting very aggressively like

Dont see what the rush is personally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back