Sri Lanka v England (2nd test) 22nd/26th Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly selective

Williamson bats 3, without a second opener of note after Latham
Labuschange has only been around a year or so
Root was partially “protected” by Cook for a long time. And then Denly was a blocking 3
Aye, it's almost like I'm slightly biased in favour of our best player ;)

As Chunky rightly said. Jennings has only played 5 tests in Asia it’s not really much of a sample.

Sibley has only played 2
Thing with Root is we compare him to Kohli/Smith/Williamson, but they all have accomplished players above them to shield them.

Kohli has Purjara, Smith has Marnus/Warner... Meanwhile, Roots got to work around Sibley and Crawley 🤣 poor fucker has to do everything

He has to physically carry our batting, whereas the other three have players who share the load.

His captaincy isnt perfect but is improving, and he's nowhere near as defensive as Kohli. The other three can switch off for a bit knowing their respective top three's are going give them something of a breather, whereas Root has to constantly be ready to go in. Tough gig

Plus he's comfortably our best player of spin. He's absolutely beautiful to watch when he's in

And he also bats on much tougher pitches!! I will keep banging on this point till they all retire! Its harder to bat in England, thats just a reality

For example, Travis Head averages 40 in test cricket, people think that looks good, but thats batting 5 in Oz, the plum position, if he played all his cricket in England he'd average 25 or someit.

Last edited:
Sibley has only played 2

And he also bats on much tougher pitches!! I will keep banging on this point till they all retire! Its harder to bat in England, thats just a reality

For example, Travis Head averages 40 in test cricket, people think that looks good, but thats batting 5 in Oz, the plum position, if he played all his cricket in England he'd average 25 or someit.

Rohit Sharma averages 88 in India and about 25 outside India. Agarwal another with a ridiculous record at home but poor away. Shows stats are a bit misleading as both their averages will be 40+

Sibley has only played 2

Yes. Re Sibkey. I’m not sure if your point tbh. 2 tests and 5 tests are no sample. Jennings isn’t a test class player and shouldn’t have a reputation of an expert on spin like Gooch and Fletcher have earned over their careers. He got a 100 when picked in the form of his life, on a flat pitch in the first innings and was drop twice before he got to ten. He’s not the answer.

Yes. Re Sibkey. I’m not sure if your point tbh. 2 tests and 5 tests are no sample. Jennings isn’t a test class player and shouldn’t have a reputation of an expert on spin like Gooch and Fletcher have earned over their careers. He got a 100 when picked in the form of his life, on a flat pitch in the first innings and was drop twice before he got to ten. He’s not the answer.
Jennings has more 100s in Asia than fletcher already

Here we go the flat pitch shite

why are people so desperate to downplay anything england of English playersdo

there’s always always a caveat

sick of it

Jennings has more 100s in Asia than fletcher already

Here we go the flat pitch shite

why are people so desperate to downplay anything england of English playersdo

there’s always always a caveat

sick of it

Keaton Jennings isn’t a test class opening batsman. It was a perfect storm which led to him scoring runs during his one really successful year as even a county cricketer. He’s not a ‘spin expert’ he’s just not a good enough player. I will back Crawley and Lawrence to develop ahead of him any day of the week.

Keaton Jennings isn’t a test class opening batsman. It was a perfect storm which led to him scoring runs during his one really successful year as even a county cricketer. He’s not a ‘spin expert’ he’s just not a good enough player. I will back Crawley and Lawrence to develop ahead of him any day of the week.

He is rated as a good player of spin tbf. It’s one of the reasons he got picked for Sri Lanka last time and made a big hundred. Not sure why Crawley is getting backed while Sibley is getting called shit when they’ve both looked lost against spin

I'm on about a player as spin, I am not even saying he should play, just amazed how people try and twist everything, now his 100 in Mumbai doesnt count because the pitch was flat :lol:

Lets take away all the 100s scored by batsman on flat pitches then.

There is always always a caveat with English players for why they score runs, its never actually because they are a good player of spin. Why is it so controversial to say he is a good player of spin?? He is!!
He is rated as a good player of spin tbf. It’s one of the reasons he got picked for Sri Lanka last time and made a big hundred. Not sure why Crawley is getting backed while Sibley is getting called shit when they’ve both looked lost against spin

I'm not even saying call Jennings up, was just saying he was a good player of spin. People almost dont give that enough credit, this series shows how hard it is to play spin on turning wickets.

I think England will back them both. There seems this assumption that someone is either shite against spin or not and that’s it. It can be learned. People should take a look at a stokes in his early ODIs he was completely at sea and he is as good as anyone now.

Thing with Root is we compare him to Kohli/Smith/Williamson, but they all have accomplished players above them to shield them.

Kohli has Purjara, Smith has Marnus/Warner... Meanwhile, Roots got to work around Sibley and Crawley 🤣 poor fucker has to do everything

He has to physically carry our batting, whereas the other three have players who share the load.

His captaincy isnt perfect but is improving, and he's nowhere near as defensive as Kohli. The other three can switch off for a bit knowing their respective top three's are going give them something of a breather, whereas Root has to constantly be ready to go in. Tough gig

Plus he's comfortably our best player of spin. He's absolutely beautiful to watch when he's in

1 more thing, Sky were showing Pietersen's 151 in Sri Lanka, class innings

But I couldn't help notice that he came in at 220-2

I mean it does make it a lot easier

1 more thing, Sky were showing Pietersen's 151 in Sri Lanka, class innings

But I couldn't help notice that he came in at 220-2

I mean it does make it a lot easier
Yeah exactly that's what I'm saying. So much easier when you have a platform set for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back