Sri lanka 1st test Galle

BIG BAZ

Striker
Thinking of going over for the test match...I know a few lads on here follow England and all the available info regarding travel accom tickets etc etc would be mucho appreciated....

Thinking of going over for the test match...I know a few lads on here follow England and all the available info regarding travel accom tickets etc etc would be mucho appreciated....

If anyone in your group is on FB join the ‘England on tour in Sri Lanka 2020’ group. I reckon all of your answers will be on there based on previous ones.

Best place I’ve been to although that’s just my opinion. Unwatuna is class for Galle, loads of the English drink on the beach there on a night. Cheap tuk tuk to Galle a morning.

Enjoy!

If anyone in your group is on FB join the ‘England on tour in Sri Lanka 2020’ group. I reckon all of your answers will be on there based on previous ones.

Best place I’ve been to although that’s just my opinion. Unwatuna is class for Galle, loads of the English drink on the beach there on a night. Cheap tuk tuk to Galle a morning.

Enjoy!
Cheers fella

Anyone else going? At both me.

After much debate staying in Unawatuna instead of Galle
any tips?

I like working it out myself to be fair but won’t hurt

Enjoy!

So good crack on beach? Lively enough?

should be a short game anyway

Last edited:
Anyone else going? At both me.

After much debate staying in Unawatuna instead of Galle
any tips?

I like working it out myself to be fair but won’t hurt

So good crack on beach? Lively enough?

should be a short game anyway

Yeah the beach is very lively on the night. Can’t think of a better drinking spot for an England Away.

How was your Cape Town trip, sounds like you’ve got the bug now?

Have a beer in the Sydney Hotel behind the bus station after the match. Find someone else who's going back to Unawatuna, hire a tuk tuk each and tell the drivers there's 200 rupees extra for the first one to Unawatuna. Unfortunately I lost the video of me and another bloke "racing" back in 2018.

Yeah the beach is very lively on the night. Can’t think of a better drinking spot for an England Away.

How was your Cape Town trip, sounds like you’ve got the bug now?

I’m flying in from closer so not far from me,

is the train journey from Colombo to galle supposed to be nice? Or just get the cab? I won’t be tired

I went to all 4, cape town by far the best

what a place, just a brilliant test match

I really enjoyed the cricket but just love the country. Gonna go Agsin next year

so so cheap too

is the train journey from Colombo to galle supposed to be nice? Or just get the cab? I won’t be tired

I really enjoyed the cricket but just love the country. Gonna go Agsin next year

so so cheap too

Train journey is class. Nowt but shacks in the Colombo suburbs which is a bit of an eye-opener, but lovely once you get past there. Top tip, get the train from Colombo Maradana instead of Colombo Fort and guarantee yourself a seat.

Train journey is class. Nowt but shacks in the Colombo suburbs which is a bit of an eye-opener, but lovely once you get past there. Top tip, get the train from Colombo Maradana instead of Colombo Fort and guarantee yourself a seat.

spot on

safe enough with suitcase? How much by the way

I’ll be doing that top tip cheers

so so cheap too

Would no doubt have passed you at some point in CT and PE. Meet us for a pint next time 👍🏻

Would no doubt have passed you at some point in CT and PE. Meet us for a pint next time 👍🏻

yes mate I talked to lots of lads fans although details sketchy haha

will do
About £12 taxi from the airport to Maradana. About £1.50 train fare Colombo to Unawatuna (there's a station there, next one after Galle). Sri Lanka is poor but relatively crime free.

right class will do that cheers

say it finishes early any trips could do in a day? Iwish I could stay longer after but got to be in Malaysia

will do

say it finishes early any trips could do in a day? Iwish I could stay longer after but got to be in Malaysia

Scuba diving? Surfing? I didn't hang around after the test, jumped on train/bus and went to Ella. That's a bit far for a day trip. There'll probably be a nature reserve/elephant sanctuary nearby if that's your thing.

will do

A long, worthwhile and expensive day trip, about 3 hours drive each way is to Yala National Park.
Very good chance of seeing leopards.

It's expensive cos you'd have to hire a taxi, about 3 hours each way.
However, From memory, I paid about £50 for a 5 hour taxi from Colombo airport to Hikkaduwa on the day of the Test in 2012.

I guess you could probably hire a cab for the day for less than £100.
Then you'd have to hire a jeep for a game drive when you are there.

Just a thought.

Well Buttler is definitely playing now cos of the batting. But Foakes got dismissal and buttler got none, they swapped as the keeper. Would rather a good keeper on these pitches.

Wonder why no Jack Leach, good to see the spinners take the bulk and with some seamer wickets.

edit: Leach set to play the next warm up on Thursday

Last edited:
Well Buttler is definitely playing now cos of the batting. But Foakes got dismissal and buttler got none, they swapped as the keeper. Would rather a good keeper on these pitches.

Wonder why no Jack Leach, good to see the spinners take the bulk and with some seamer wickets.

edit: Leach set to play the next warm up on Thursday

Really think they may play both with foakes as keeper, he's had two good knocks in this match whilst buttler has top scorer in the first innings.
think Denny could be the one to miss out imo

Really think they may play both with foakes as keeper, he's had two good knocks in this match whilst buttler has top scorer in the first innings.
think Denny could be the one to miss out imo

Unlikely,

the batting lineup is set in stone for the tour I'd say

They have been very consistent in the interviews about this

Encouraged by Crawley, I was a bit concerned early on, but he improves and he has changed his game the more he has player

Sign of a good talent IMO, and some times the best way to succeed in test cricket is to get young lads in who can learn on the job, rather than players who have been set in their ways in CC.

Denly has to play for me, he has doing an excellent job for the team, 1 to 7 all has a specific role, he won;t get the headlines but he has done well for his team mates, and it shouldnt be dismissed.

If Crawley keeps this up then Denly will likely go when Burns comes back, but not now

IMO anyway

Unlikely,

the batting lineup is set in stone for the tour I'd say

They have been very consistent in the interviews about this

Encouraged by Crawley, I was a bit concerned early on, but he improves and he has changed his game the more he has player

Sign of a good talent IMO, and some times the best way to succeed in test cricket is to get young lads in who can learn on the job, rather than players who have been set in their ways in CC.

Denly has to play for me, he has doing an excellent job for the team, 1 to 7 all has a specific role, he won;t get the headlines but he has done well for his team mates, and it shouldnt be dismissed.

If Crawley keeps this up then Denly will likely go when Burns comes back, but not now

IMO anyway
Crawley with a ton and root and pope close to one in the second warm up.

Denly last chance saloon in this series.

Back