Squeezing the life out of muscles

Status
Not open for further replies.

UaeExile

Winger
Just had one of the trainers at the gym put me through a shoulder routine and to be honest, it was quite embarrassing. He had me flexing, and tensing on every rep and I looked like a total knob.

I literally squeezed the life out of my shoulders and ended up struggling like hell with tiny weights. Question is. Is this good or bad?

He obviously had you doing everything with perfect form. Unless you go to failure with weights you won't grow properly (or like you should/could).

Enjoy the DOMS tomorrow :cool:

What do you mean 'flexing and tensing?'. What matters when building muscle is time under tension, so if he had you doing something like explosive positives with slow negatives, but with a ligher weight than you usually do, then that's certainly a very good workout.

And the above comment is bullshit, you should very rarely, if ever, go to failure.

What do you mean 'flexing and tensing?'. What matters when building muscle is time under tension, so if he had you doing something like explosive positives with slow negatives, but with a ligher weight than you usually do, then that's certainly a very good workout.

And the above comment is bullshit, you should very rarely, if ever, go to failure.

:roll:

Going to elaborate on your stupid smiley? Tell me how risking nervous system fatigue and increasing risk of injury needlessly is somehow more beneficial. With more than just "it's worked for me" or something like that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha'way man give him a proper reply, I'm genuinely interested why you say you have to train to failure, since I don't train that way yet see results?

Maybe because with a lot of people there is a degree of masochism in that they don't think a workout was a sufficient growth stimulus unless they're in a lot of pain after a workout.

Titus said:
Maybe because with a lot of people there is a degree of masochism in that they don't think a workout was a sufficient growth stimulus unless they're in a lot of pain after a workout.

Possibly but the way he worded it implied to me that he had some evidence to back it up, or at least offer a different perspective and reasoning.

nowt wrang with working to failure like

Ha'way man give him a proper reply, I'm genuinely interested why you say you have to train to failure, since I don't train that way yet see results?
10Kg mass increase in 6 weeks..easy peasy!;)

I'd like to see your explanation and reasoning to this tbh.

Because you are risking nervous system fatigue and the closer you get to failure, the more your form deteriorates and this results in an increased risk of injury.

nowt wrang with working to failure like

10Kg mass increase in 6 weeks..easy peasy!;)

There is if you do it with any sort of frequency with a significant amount of weight.

So what about if you concentrate solely on form using heavy weight, low reps, till failure ??

Logon or register to see this image

Then it's going to be extremely taxing on the nervous system, joints etc and playing with failure with very heavy weighs is extraordinarily stupid.

Because you are risking nervous system fatigue and the closer you get to failure, the more your form deteriorates and this results in an increased risk of injury.

There is if you do it with any sort of frequency with a significant amount of weight.
Not if you use machines like

Then it's going to be extremely taxing on the nervous system, joints etc

So is playing football for instance, or running a marathon, triathlon.

I think I'd take your theories more seriously if you didn't use them as an excuse to call people bullshitters or stupid.

:confused:

So is playing football for instance, or running a marathon, triathlon.

I think I'd take your theories more seriously if you didn't use them as an excuse to call people bullshitters or stupid.

:confused:

When did I say anybody was a bullshitter or stupid? I said that the insinuation that training to failure was somehow more beneficial to not doing so was bullshit.

Yes running a marathon is taxing on the joints, along with many other sports, but when you can avoid doing something so taxing on the body and get probably better results, why do it? It's also not a theory that training until your body fails is going to be taxing on the nervous system.

When did I say anybody was a bullshitter or stupid? I said that the insinuation that training to failure was somehow more beneficial to not doing so was bullshit.

Yes running a marathon is taxing on the joints, along with many other sports, but when you can avoid doing something so taxing on the body and get probably better results, why do it? It's also not a theory that training until your body fails is going to be taxing on the nervous system.

Can you post me a youtube video showing me how to lift, in order to gain maximum muscle building results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back