Squad for the Ashes

Given we have no more tests, it seems a good time to attempt a squad. Obviously big assumption is that it goes ahead

They will take a bigger squad, for these purposes let’s assume 20 (which is what India brought here)

I will have a stab

Burns
Hameed
Sibley

Crawley
Root
Malan
Stokes
Pope
Livingstone

Bairstow
Foakes

Anderson
Broad
Robinson
Mahmood
Wood
Woakes
Overton

Parkinson
Leach

Commentary
Sibley as reserve opener in absence of other choice. Maybe the bounce will help!
Crawley has similar logic
Assuming Stokes travels of course
Yes I’ve dropped Buttler. He’s talking of not going anyway. I genuinely don’t pick him in test cricket anymore. I’d have Bairstow at 7, and Foakes (or other) travels
Woakes makes it just, but can’t justify Curran as well
Parkinson ahead of Moeen. I think he deserves a shot

the bowling attack really lacks something, but there ain’t much to add sadly

Burns
Hameed
Sibley

Crawley
Root
Malan*
Stokes
Pope
Livingstone*

Bairstow*
Foakes

Anderson
Broad
Robinson
Mahmood
Wood*
Woakes*
Overton

Parkinson
Leach
Now that I've read the Cricinfo article, there's only 5 players who would be in the world cup and Ashes squad (at the moment), those marked by *. So there's maybe not that much head scratching to find a squad for both so that a player isn't away for the whole winter (I've no sympathy with players in the IPL).

May be able to play 5 tests at 3 venues to try and limit the amount of travel between states?

@chunkylover53 you’re not far from the truth there mate

I think they won’t take sibley even though he was class on the lions tour there

I’d play Crawley and I think even if not he will be reserve opener with others to cover middle order

inrteetkng on Wisden cricket pod and it’s a good point, basically saying to open in Oz you need and can have a completely different opener. Someone who plays through the line of the ball, play the bounce and attack etc. they made the point that Warner and the Indian lad, what’s ne called, been useless in England

they were suggesting Livingstone to open, which is probs too far, but Crawley applies to me

I’ll list my squad tomorrow as I’ve got Nout better to do then

I reckon Carse needs to go

probs take Parkinson too I agree

I wouldn’t take Ali I don’t think, unless he’s literally just an attacking bowler for a few overs

I think it’s pretty clear that England won’t play a spinner, that’s the crack, or their main plan

so if stokes is fit they might play Mo but I don’t think they will play a rabbit like parky

@chunkylover53 you’re not far from the truth there mate

I think they won’t take sibley even though he was class on the lions tour there

I’d play Crawley and I think even if not he will be reserve opener with others to cover middle order

inrteetkng on Wisden cricket pod and it’s a good point, basically saying to open in Oz you need and can have a completely different opener. Someone who plays through the line of the ball, play the bounce and attack etc. they made the point that Warner and the Indian lad, what’s ne called, been useless in England

they were suggesting Livingstone to open, which is probs too far, but Crawley applies to me

I’ll list my squad tomorrow as I’ve got Nout better to do then

I reckon Carse needs to go

probs take Parkinson too I agree

I wouldn’t take Ali I don’t think, unless he’s literally just an attacking bowler for a few overs

I think it’s pretty clear that England won’t play a spinner, that’s the crack, or their main plan

so if stokes is fit they might play Mo but I don’t think they will play a rabbit like parky
Good post, interested to see your selection.

Will try to do them by position

Hameed
Burns
Crawley (reserve opener)
Robson (reserve reserve opener)

Malan (crawley reserve 3)

Root

Stokes

Pope
Lawrence
Livingstone

Bairstow or Foakes WK (Dont believe Buttler will travel)

Ali

Wood or Woakes depending on the pitch and fitness

Robinson

Anderson

Mahmood, Overton, Broad, Leach (backup bowlers)

Squad of 21...issue being with Covid it might make sense to take a shadow squad that is kept separate that players can jump in should multiple players need to isolate from the main squad.
Looking at the stats for the season
Bowling wise - Carse & Parkinson making a decent shout for selection

Batting wise - Ballance avg 45,Duckett 37, hain 35
Everybody else I've either picked in my squad (robson) or is already playing - pope, burns, lawrence all near the top of the averages

Slim picking on the batting front but had our bowlers been fit we'd have had a great choice to select from and rotate throughout the tests

Last edited:
Will try to do them by position

Hameed
Burns
Crawley (reserve opener)
Robson (reserve reserve opener)

Malan (crawley reserve 3)

Root

Stokes

Pope
Lawrence
Livingstone

Bairstow or Foakes WK (Dont believe Buttler will travel)

Ali

Wood or Woakes depending on the pitch and fitness

Robinson

Anderson

Mahmood, Overton, Broad, Leach (backup bowlers)

Squad of 21...issue being with Covid it might make sense to take a shadow squad that is kept separate that players can jump in should multiple players need to isolate from the main squad.
Looking at the stats for the season
Bowling wise - Carse & Parkinson making a decent shout for selection

Batting wise - Ballance avg 45,Duckett 37, hain 35
Everybody else I've either picked in my squad (robson) or is already playing - pope, burns, lawrence all near the top of the averages

Slim picking on the batting front but had our bowlers been fit we'd have had a great choice to select from and rotate throughout the tests
Pretty much agree with all of this - Sibley should be nowhere near the team or the squad!

Daily Telegraph reporting that Stokes is unlikely to go. Apart from reasons of MH his finger isn't healing apparently.

Daily Telegraph reporting that Stokes is unlikely to go. Apart from reasons of MH his finger isn't healing apparently.
I remember his last finger break didn't heal properly and he ended up having a 2nd operation in it....think he's already had a 2nd one on this injury iirc

such a shame

his prime been cut down

I was feeling like shit earlier and watched the last hour of headingly on YouTube

it’s worth it just to remember how good he is

he’s once in a generation

him on form we don’t lose many. He’s amazing

it’s really not good like. I hope the blokes ok

I hinted at someit stupid during the Indian test More because I was defending root but I didn’t mean it

He’s missing some big moments like it’s such a shame for him as he’s a top top bloke too

really annoyed me that Bristol shit made him miss games, such nonsense that

Back