Spinners simply not good enough!

Thing is okay he can get a bit of spin, but he seldom lands it where he wants.

I think it's harsh and a little unfair to compare our spinners to theirs - they're world class, and bought up in those conditions.

Leach has done okay, I like him - has a pair of bollocks with the bat albeit limited quality, but more importantly he can offer a bit of control, and the odd ripper of a delivery that even if it doesn't take a wicket, will put doubts in a batsmans head.

Bess though... I'd love to face him. He can't put two balls in the same spot, and if you get at him he shits himself.
He's liked by the selectors and management because he's a nice lad, has a bit of bottle about him and can hold a bat, but he makes Giles look like prime Warne.
How good is Virdi? Only seen highlight clips of him playing for Surrey. I would think he is the next finger spinner in the queue!

How good is Virdi? Only seen highlight clips of him playing for Surrey. I would think he is the next finger spinner in the queue!
He's genuinely really, really good but not ready yet. I'd say he was the most important member of our side when we won the title in 2018.

He'll get wickets by the bucketload, but his fielding is poor, he's as bad as Monty with the bat and he leaks runs. I've no doubt he will play - and star - for England, but he's got a lot to learn yet.

His record is decent

If he plays enough he will get more wickets than Giles

Thats a bit ‘infinite amount of monkeys’ argument but you’re probably right. Giles was very much a defensive spin bowler and, usually, fairly good at that job. Giles also played in an era where batsman kicked the ball away without the worry of DRS having a say, which for a defensive left arm spinner limited his wickets (same would probably apply to Vettori to an extent).

Bess needs to improve vastly before he can be a reliable test bowler. He’ll probably take wickets here and there (as he did during this series’ five for) but, as Michael Atherton has argued, he is the third best spinner in the current team behind Leach and Root. And I don’t think many would consider Root as even a genuinely decent county level spinner.

Bess was doing ok till they dropped him for bowling a few full tosses and destroyed his confidence. He was average 22 up to that point.

Whilst Bess has bowled some filth at times, and he’s been fortunate let’s not forget he took

12 wickets @ 21 in SL
5 wickets @ 26 in India so far (whilst missing the tests where it went square)

he’s not the finished article. But he’s a good young cricketer who has his wickets at 32 so far (better than Panesar), bats well and fields well

he may fall away, but he’s 23 which is mega young for an off spinner.

Whilst Bess has bowled some filth at times, and he’s been fortunate let’s not forget he took

12 wickets @ 21 in SL

he’s not the finished article. But he’s a good young cricketer who has his wickets at 32 so far (better than Panesar), bats well and fields well

The impression I get from Bess is that he's fine, but when there's expectation - bowling in the fourth innings or on a turner - he falls absolutely to bits.

Still time for him though as you say

The impression I get from Bess is that he's fine, but when there's expectation - bowling in the fourth innings or on a turner - he falls absolutely to bits.

Still time for him though as you say
Didn’t get the chance on a turner this time.

I’m not a massive fan personally, but he’s young and improving. And offers something in the field and with the bat. He’s behind Leach obviously, but he’s not club standard as others have said

32 with the ball so far

ahead of Panesar, Moeen, Giles, Rashid....similar to Nathan Lyon

His record is decent

If he plays enough he will get more wickets than Giles

12 wickets @ 21 in SL

He’s not as bad as we have seen in this match and not as good as his record suggests. He has though been badly managed. He’s been dropped and seen the selectors choose 4 seamers on a raging turner rather than play him. He has then seen the management team beg for Ali to change his arrangements rather than pkay him. His confidence is shot. With a more experienced player I would say get a grip but he’s still a young lad.

He’s not as bad as we have seen in this match and not as good as his record suggests. He has though been badly managed. He’s been dropped and seen the selectors choose 4 seamers on a raging turner rather than play him. He has then seen the management team beg for Ali to change his arrangements rather than pkay him. His confidence is shot. With a more experienced player I would say get a grip but he’s still a young lad.
Partially agreed. The Ali thing is a little overdone in my opinion. But otherwise I agree

Didn’t get the chance on a turner this time.

I’m not a massive fan personally, but he’s young and improving. And offers something in the field and with the bat. He’s behind Leach obviously, but he’s not club standard as others have said

32 with the ball so far

ahead of Panesar, Moeen, Giles, Rashid....similar to Nathan Lyon
Oh I don't disagree with you. I do, however, think the fact that Bess is in the side shows how poor we are in that department.

I don't want to bang the Virdi drum too hard because I don't want it to come off as county bias (in truth, I'm probably far too hard on our academy lads - it took me years to warm to Burns, and I thought Pope was shit for a year or so), but I really hope he comes good - he'll offer us a genuine, attacking spinner.

For now, though, we have to accept where we are.

It's why I'm not being too critical of the side for this series. It was always gonna be a monumental challenge

Our spinners are to blame for not having had a 50 run partnership since the 5th wicket fell in the first innings of the first test.

How the fuck does that work?

It's lazy yet again.

We've won the toss in 8/9 tests in India and the spinners are being blamed for both series losses.

It's obvious our spinners aren't Jadeja and Ashwin who's are in world cricket.

Patel averaged 13 I believe in Durham so clearly showed talent before this.
Where's the thread about every batsman bar root being shit against spin.

Last edited:
Our spinners are to blame for not having had a 50 run partnership since the 5th wicket fell in the first innings of the first test.

How the fuck does that work?

It's lazy yet again.

We've won the toss in 8/9 tests in India and the spinners are being blamed for both series losses.

It's obvious our spinners aren't Jadeja and Ashwin who's are in world cricket.

Patel averaged 13 I believe in Durham so clearly showed talent before this.
Where's the thread about every batsman bar root being shit against spin.
I don’t think people are blaming the spinners ahead of the batsmen tbf. The batting has been very poor on turning pitches and we have only had one frontline spinner doing a decent job. Both points are valid.

I don’t think people are blaming the spinners ahead of the batsmen tbf. The batting has been very poor on turning pitches and we have only had one frontline spinner doing a decent job. Both points are valid.
Bess is 23 yet had so much more bad press.

Like he was just expected because he's a spinner to come and tear it up in India. Cos he'd got a fifer in South Africa

That's unfair on him. Like it's alien for pope Sibley Crawley so their let off but as these tracks are tailor made for spinners it's them to blame.

Leach has bowled really well in this series but he's not superhuman.

We saw in the first test that Ashwin started bowling bad as Nadeem and Sundar bowled terribly at the other end.

You need a bowling partner in any country to create pressure. Leach has had Moeen and Bess who haven't.

Back