Spelk

I once got talking to an old Jewish fella who had recognised my accent and who had seen service during WWII .Typically he had been born and bred in the East End of London and had initially served in the Royal Corps of Transport in the build up to D Day. However after the invasion the Corps had been scaled down a bit so he found himself transferred to the Durham Light Infantry

He said to me....
"They were lovely set of lads and they would do anything for you. The problem was that for over a year I never understood a bleedin' word that anyone said to me!" :D

I never thought about getting wrong. I suppose that is one too.

I'd forgotten about monkeys blood too, although I don't remember ever getting an ice cream when I lived in other parts of the country. Don't know what I'd say really.

I never thought about getting wrong. I suppose that is one too.

I'd forgotten about monkeys blood too, although I don't remember ever getting an ice cream when I lived in other parts of the country. Don't know what I'd say really.
Fruit coulis;)

When I first met Mrs Cat(no) who is Polish I was with a lad with a broad barnsley accent she said she just smiled and nodded:lol:

Last edited:
There shouldn't even be a word for a tiny bit of wood sticking in your finger. It's just a minor annoyance. Now a fence post rammed up your fingernail....that's a spelk.
I wasn't expecting fingernail there mind :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

From the sound of this thread the rest of England has a hard time understanding you fuckers so I don't feel so bad:lol:
Whereyafromlike?

P.S. I still love the nickname. Tremendous fella.

Last edited:
:lol:
It's a gift. It's not just the colloquialisms and slang, it's the speed we can spit it out. Hewmanwaddyathinkyafuckindeeingmanyaradgedfuckingbastard? Yagannagerrusfuckingclippedallower. :lol:

Managed to read all of that first time without any trouble at all. It must just come naturally to us lot to speak and read it at a million miles an hour

Back