SPD Smith (again)

SuperMarcoRowell

Central Defender
Without doubt a tremendous batter bordering on great BUT there’s talk of giving him the Aussie captaincy back. Were the tables turned and we had a player that had done what he did and then there was a clamour to award him the captaincy after a couple of years’ penance I would be outraged. It would send all the wrong signs in my opinion. Views?
oh and I wouldn’t tire of pissing in Warner’s kit bag neither.

I'm not defending Smith but we did actually have an England captain who was accused of ball tampering.

Remember Atherton and the dirt in the pocket incident?

Paine is an Ashes winning captain :eek: :lol:

He will be thrown under the bus the next tough series and Smith will get the job back and will be seen as some big redemption.

Australia's quality seem bowling and Smith was the difference

Who's next?!
😉

Without doubt a tremendous batter bordering on great BUT there’s talk of giving him the Aussie captaincy back. Were the tables turned and we had a player that had done what he did and then there was a clamour to award him the captaincy after a couple of years’ penance I would be outraged. It would send all the wrong signs in my opinion. Views?
Whether he's officially appointed test captain or not I've no doubt he's already unofficially captaining Australia such is the respect he has in the dressing room. His is the voice they'll listen to purely because of his experience and ability.

He will get the gig again, no doubt

I’d get over it as quickly as you can mate.

Only a matter of time

I've said all along, the ball tampering is just one thing, the worst thing he did was cultivate, along with Lehman, the most foulmouthed illbehaved Cricket team in my lifetime

The narrative has been spun that its one incident etc, he wasn't fit too lead like

I do hope they appoint him, as a intense dislike for the Aussie team makes the tests better

I'm not defending Smith but we did actually have an England captain who was accused of ball tampering.

Remember Atherton and the dirt in the pocket incident?
Completely different scenarios. All Atherton was guilty of was lying to the Match Referee. There was no ball tampering - applying dirt (indirectly) to the ball has happened (and still happens) since the invention of the game. A spinner rubs his hand in the dirt to remove moisture and improve his grip on the ball
Absolutely guaranteed that Smith will get the captaincy back. Paine was on the verge of retiring from cricket when he got a surprise recall to the team late 2017. He was the obvious choice to take over as captain for a couple of reasons in 2018, the main one being that he wouldn't be sticking around long and there would be a convenient "out" to retirement that allows Smith to re-assume the captaincy. He's already dropped some hints about retiring. My guess would be that it will happen in the coming months now that Smith's 2 year captaincy ban has expired. Shameless
Paine is Captain in name only. Everyone knows that.
Bit like Ponting when Warne was in his prime

Last edited:

Back