SpaceX - the big show tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

There's nobody manning the ISS now is there? The first thing they will need to do, is give it a good dusting and clean.

ISS has never been unmanned. People are needed on board to keep it running. There has not been a manned launch from the US in 9 years, but there have been plenty from Russia in that time.

That was amazing to watch. My son thought it was worth waiting a couple of extra days to see it.

He's already excited about watching it dock with the ISS tomorrow.

Imagine what it'll be like when there's a launch to return to the Moon, or the first manned mission to Mars.

Todays technology as well, HD live coverage

ISS has never been unmanned. People are needed on board to keep it running. There has not been a manned launch from the US in 9 years, but there have been plenty from Russia in that time.
Cheers, I just heard the other day, that there had not been a manned rocket launch in a decade. They never mentioned it was just the USA.

How do they do that? Is it remotely piloted back down?

no remote at all, they do it all themselves. Other than it acquiring the GPS signal the booster does it all itself. Fun fact, the trajectory aims it to miss by about 100m, if all is going well it' does s a dog leg kick to bring it back in line. This is done to protect the very expensive drone ship from a busted 70m tall booster hitting it at terminal velocity.

That was amazing to watch. My son thought it was worth waiting a couple of extra days to see it.

He's already excited about watching it dock with the ISS tomorrow.

Imagine what it'll be like when there's a launch to return to the Moon, or the first manned mission to Mars.

2024 for the moon again

How do they do that? Is it remotely piloted back down?
Not really sure. Two or three fuel burns to correct the trajectory, which is a ballistic profile, like a big arc, each subsequent burn corrects the path more accurately. They know roughly where it's gonna land initially, it's like hoying a big ball over a field, ballistics. I'm not sure if they have such remote control over the final landing, I don't think so.

no remote at all, they do it all themselves. Other than it acquiring the GPS signal the booster does it all itself. Fun fact, the trajectory aims it to miss by about 100m, if all is going well it' does s a dog leg kick to bring it back in line. This is done to protect the very expensive drone ship from a busted 70m tall booster hitting it at terminal velocity.
There we are, Anth knows the details.

Last edited:
Not really sure. Two or three fuel burns to correct the trajectory, which is a ballistic profile, like a big arc, each subsequent burn corrects the path more accurately. They know roughly where it's gonna land initially, it's like hoying a big ball over a field, ballistics. I'm not sure if they have such remote control over the final landing, I don't think so.

pretty accurate. For these landings, there are two burns. They know the arch the booster will take so know where to position the landing barge (OCISLY). The booster shuts off its engines then separates from the payload. It used some cold gas thrusters to spin round so it is travelling engines first. When it starts to hit the atmosphere they do a burn to slow it down. This is usually from 3 of the 9 engines. Without it would travel through the atmosphere too fast and burn up. They they do a landing burn which I described above, regarding the dog leg kick.

The only difference in the past has been for falcon heavy or cargo missions to the ISS. For those they have so much extra spare fuel, they can literally turn the booster round, refire the engines and send it back to where it took off. That is called a boost-back burn, then the same as above is done.

pretty accurate. For these landings, there are two burns. They know the arch the booster will take so know where to position the landing barge (OCISLY). The booster shuts off its engines then separates from the payload. It used some cold gas thrusters to spin round so it is travelling engines first. When it starts to hit the atmosphere they do a burn to slow it down. This is usually from 3 of the 9 engines. Without it would travel through the atmosphere too fast and burn up. They they do a landing burn which I described above, regarding the dog leg kick.

The only difference in the past has been for falcon heavy or cargo missions to the ISS. For those they have so much extra spare fuel, they can literally turn the booster round, refire the engines and send it back to where it took off. That is called a boost-back burn, then the same as above is done.
The dog leg is new to me. Utterly fascinating, but makes perfect sense. Thanks for that Anth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back