Southy

we never won this games like this before

we never just routinely won any game in a world cup

what f***ing planet are people criticising him living on?

this team is absolutely no better than it was in the 2000s at all.

people just love criticising them for no reason. why dont just try n f***ing njoy it

if we lose to france that doesnt mean weve been shit like ffs
Done an unbelievable job how can anyone criticise him?
He gets criticised for being too cautious and I think some of that is warranted. Those nations league games did him no favours at all and a lot turned on him after those. He came into this tournament without really knowing his best side. Plus being under pressure for probably the first time in his tenure. It could easily have gone very wrong. Deserves massive credit for me, he’s found a nice balance between defence and attack. The 433 is working. I hope he sticks with it. Overall he’s done a great job and his records in Tournaments is bloody good. If we get knocked out by France we will have been knocked out by the eventual winners. No shame in that. Sticks with 433 and the world champs will be going home.

Interesting that the threat from France seems to be down to the one player.
I don’t personally think they have been that great and Poland caused them issues today.

Mind stopping Mbeppe is a task in itself.
Bloody good player that lad.

Brazils route to WC glory in 2002 included Costa Rica, China and Turkey (twice). Called out by nee one :lol:

They also faced England in the QF and Germany in the final.

Turkey finished 3rd in that WC by the way and Brazil beat them twice.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a particularly difficult run and is one of the easier, but England's route to the WC semi final in 2018 (Tunisia, Panama, a defeat against Belgium, a shootout win vs Colombia, Sweden in the QF and then defeat to Croatia) and the Euros run to the final (Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic, Germany, Ukraine and Denmark) isn't really comparable at all.

If England are to win this WC they will have to beat France, then likely Spain or Portugal followed by Brazil or Argentina in the final.

Now that's a very difficult path.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a particularly difficult run and is one of the easier, but England's route to the WC semi final in 2018 (Tunisia, Panama, a defeat against Belgium, a shootout win vs Colombia, Sweden in the QF and then defeat to Croatia) and the Euros run to the final (Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic, Ukraine and Denmark) isn't comparable at all.

If England are to win this WC they will have to beat France, then likely Spain or Portugal followed by Brazil or Argentina in the final.

England weren't exactly amazing mind. And just because Turkey finished third doesn't make them great. Or if it does it means who ever we played in semi finals were good, regardless of who they were. Can't have it both ways. And Italy were as good as that German team that Brazil brushed aside. Pennas is a lottery and he got hammered for losing it.

Brazils run to the final is as roughly as easy as those you've listed mind.

Look at England in 1990. Ireland, Egypt, Belgium and Cameroon were part of the run to the semis. Was only Holland that were decent. And that team and the WC are still talked about today.
Let's look at Englands run in 96.... drew with Switzerland, beat Scotland (who missed a crucial pen), scudded Holland, fluked it on pens against Spain then out. Another team and tournament people rave on about.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a particularly difficult run and is one of the easier, but England's route to the WC semi final in 2018 (Tunisia, Panama, a defeat against Belgium, a shootout win vs Colombia, Sweden in the QF and then defeat to Croatia) and the Euros run to the final (Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic, Germany, Ukraine and Denmark) isn't really comparable at all.

If you get an ‘easy’ quarter final it is often down to a few things:
1. You have been a top seed and done very well qualifying
2. Win your group giving you a better chance of an easier last 16 match
3. A ‘good’ team has gone out because unlike you they have been unexpectedly defeated.
England have been fantastic in qualifying and performing in major tournaments under Southgate and always go deep in tournaments full of great teams. It’s something to be applauded.

Last edited:
we never won this games like this before

we never just routinely won any game in a world cup

what f***ing planet are people criticising him living on?

this team is absolutely no better than it was in the 2000s at all.

people just love criticising them for no reason. why dont just try n f***ing njoy it

if we lose to france that doesnt mean weve been shit like ffs
Done an unbelievable job how can anyone criticise him?
Give it a rest eh Mr Angry.

if we win will anyone actually give a shit?

The point is if we go out to France it'll all be his fault.
In 1998 they got to the semis without playing anyone as well. Chile last 16, Denmark in the quarters.won their semi on pens

Exactly. Apparently the criticism piled on him is because he hasn't won anything and other countries like Brazil see anything but winning tournaments as failure. Difference is Brazil has won plenty of tournaments in the past so you can appreciate and justify that mind set more. If Southgate 'isn't a winner' then we havent had any 'winners'.

Last edited:
I’m ower the moon with yesterdays team. He’s at last found the fuckin handbrake.
Henderson has always offered a shit load more going forward than Phillips ever will, why hasn’t he been in ahead of him every time he’s fit? Bellingham is already a better allround player than Mount who has been getting on my moobs for a good couple of years now.
Will he stick with it for France? I hope so but I think the handbrake will be back on.

I also didn’t like the ease at which a Watford player made Walker look a mug. What’ll Mbappe do if Walkers that average again? Walker will start.

I’m ower the moon with yesterdays team. He’s at last found the fuckin handbrake.
Henderson has always offered a shit load more going forward than Phillips ever will, why hasn’t he been in ahead of him every time he’s fit? Bellingham is already a better allround player than Mount who has been getting on my moobs for a good couple of years now.
Will he stick with it for France? I hope so but I think the handbrake will be back on.

I also didn’t like the ease at which a Watford player made Walker look a mug. What’ll Mbappe do if Walkers that average again? Walker will start.
Don’t agree with much of that although I do think you are a great poster. Southgate just deserves phenomenal praise for doing a tremendous job as England manager. This handbrake argument has some relevance but it’s only because the squad under him has always had a clear weakness at centre back which only becomes a concern when we play top sides who can expose it. Also it’s only now that he has had a truly top notch centre midfield player in Bellingham to allow us to have a great balance in that midfield 3. People have to recognise how quickly Southgate got this squad of players to major finals and semis after the Iceland debacle where we had become a laughing stock. He should be knighted rather than ridiculed (not by you but by others) imo.

Don’t agree with much of that although I do think you are a great poster. Southgate just deserves phenomenal praise for doing a tremendous job as England manager. This handbrake argument has some relevance but it’s only because the squad under him has always had a clear weakness at centre back which only becomes a concern when we play top sides who can expose it. Also it’s only now that he has had a truly top notch centre midfield player in Bellingham to allow us to have a great balance in that midfield 3. People have to recognise how quickly Southgate got this squad of players to major finals and semis after the Iceland debacle where we had become a laughing stock. He should be knighted rather than ridiculed (not by you but by others) imo.
Playing Henderson in that other more advanced role was a great call and a brave one. He could easily have deployed him in an anchor role which seems to be the norm when midfielders get older. He didn’t and Henderson showed the likes of Mount how to play further up the pitch. Both Henderson and Bellingham played large chunks of that game in more advanced positions than Kane. It looked all very balanced. Mount and Kane get in each others way, they pick the same positions up. I just hopes he sticks with 433. Whilst France deserve respect they shouldn’t be feared. Let them fear us.

Luckily Southgate will conspire to lose to France, so it's all academic!

I know the poor bugger has no chance :lol:
Luckily Southgate will conspire to lose to France, so it's all academic!
Why would it be Southgate’s fault? After all he did take us from the international humiliation of losing to Iceland to a World Cup semi final within two years and a Euro final two years later therefore being the most successful England manager in major tournaments for 56 years? Are England so good that any win has nothing to do with the manager but every defeat is blatantly the managers fault? Is it our phenomenal record in the last 56 years that makes this the case?

Last edited:
I know the poor bugger has no chance :lol:

Why would it be Southgate’s fault? After all he did take us from the international humiliation of losing to Iceland to a World Cup semi final within two years and a Euro final two years later therefore being the most successful England manager in major tournaments for 56 years? Are England so good that any win has nothing to do with the manager but every defeat is blatantly the managers fault? Is it our phenomenal record in the last 56 years that makes this the case?

We win despite him, lose because of him. That's it. Set in stone. It's bizarre like.

Back