South Shields fans

Funnily enough, Chester and Shields academies played each other in the FA Youth Cup this season (having won through four preliminary rounds). Shields coach broke down on the M62 en route to Chester, so they only ended up with 20-odd mins to get ready and warm up.
Shields led 1-0 until the 82nd minute, and missed a couple of good cbances to kill the tie, then conceded two late goals when Chester came on really strong in the closing stages.
Shields academy also top their U19 National Youth Alliance league, with their only dropped points this season when their minibus was knackered for an away game in Yorkshire and the league gave their opposition the points.
So the academy set-up at Shields is very strong, with good coaching from, among others, Lee Picton.
Sadly, where Chester are well ahead is that their first-team manager is fully invested in developing from the academy, whereas Shields manager has barely seen half an hour of academy football all season....
I was meant to go to that but one of my kids had a game that clashed! A lad I knew from school had a kid in the Shields team so wanted to go.

I know loads of the kids who hope to be scholars with Chester next season - all good players (for that level).

Good to hear Shields set up is good. Chester have the luxury of 10+ teams within an hour.

I was meant to go to that but one of my kids had a game that clashed! A lad I knew from school had a kid in the Shields team so wanted to go.

I know loads of the kids who hope to be scholars with Chester next season - all good players (for that level).

Good to hear Shields set up is good. Chester have the luxury of 10+ teams within an hour.

Yes, Chester had some very good players. Left-back in particular stood out, and I understand he's been quite heavily involved in the first team set-up. Seemed a really positive set-up.
Some very good young players at Shields. Alfie Marriott, a centre-half, is one - a real prospect.

Shields academy also beat a near full-strength Boro U18s before Christmas.

Last edited:
Yes, Chester had some very good players. Left-back in particular stood out, and I understand he's been quite heavily involved in the first team set-up. Seemed a really positive set-up.
Some very good young players at Shields. Alfie Marriott, a centre-half, is one - a real prospect.

Shields academy also beat a near full-strength Boro U18s before Christmas.

The trouble is Shields has no protection and EFL teams can take each player for next to nothing (10 grand I think at scholar and above). I remember a Wrexham team (curremt U16's) beat Man Utd three nil. At the end of the game Man Utd approached three players and took them for nothing. Three best players gone, just like that!

My youngest's schoolboys team beat Sunderland academy last year. i do hope that doesn't translate into a shite U18's im 6 years time!

I went to Gateshead-Halifax last week and the fans (not many there) seemed sound. No Toon chants, no Newcastle scarves... a few Gateshead shirts.
Chants were mainly "Everywhere we go..." and "Haway The Lads" ...rather like the SoL!!
And the fella that sits next to me in the East Stand often goes to Shields as his second team...so it's not just disenchanted Mags.
Sensible posts like this should not be tolerated. ;)

The trouble is Shields has no protection and EFL teams can take each player for next to nothing (10 grand I think at scholar and above). I remember a Wrexham team (curremt U16's) beat Man Utd three nil. At the end of the game Man Utd approached three players and took them for nothing. Three best players gone, just like that!

My youngest's schoolboys team beat Sunderland academy last year. i do hope that doesn't translate into a shite U18's im 6 years time!

Yep. The system stinks. Shields have put the lad I mentioned on a senior contract (I assume because, in part, they want to avoid the scenario you refer to).

I’ve been to a few South Shields games and some people had Sunderland stuff on, some had Mag stuff but to be honest the majority had South Shields colours on.

The ground is much better now and the set up looks excellent. Access to the ground is still not ideal in my opinion - one narrowish road in and out.

And it’s covered in mud when I was there as there are building works right next to the ground.

Funnily enough, Chester and Shields academies played each other in the FA Youth Cup this season (having won through four preliminary rounds). Shields coach broke down on the M62 en route to Chester, so they only ended up with 20-odd mins to get ready and warm up.
Shields led 1-0 until the 82nd minute, and missed a couple of good cbances to kill the tie, then conceded two late goals when Chester came on really strong in the closing stages.
Shields academy also top their U19 National Youth Alliance league, with their only dropped points this season when their minibus was knackered for an away game in Yorkshire and the league gave their opposition the points.
So the academy set-up at Shields is very strong, with good coaching from, among others, Lee Picton.
Sadly, where Chester are well ahead is that their first-team manager is fully invested in developing from the academy, whereas Shields manager has barely seen half an hour of academy football all season....
A good and informed post.
It will be interesting to see how the newly announced International Academy develops.

Used to work in South Shields and regularly went along to watch The Mariners with work colleagues from Shields, Jarrow, Washy, Durham and Sunderland.....some, who were misguided of course, supported the Mags and my more enlightened colleagues supported Sunderland but we all cheered on South Shields and Julio Arca.

You saw Mags Tops and Black Cats Tops in the main, but most recently it is very good to see more and more Mariners Jerseys and Scarves being waved in support of Super Kev and the Sand Dancers!!!

It's great to see another local lower League team doing well....Hopefully they will gain Promotion this Season and really rival "just a stop on the Metro" Gatesheed.

(Of course Gateshead FC derive their History from South Shields!!!!)

Ha'way the Lads and Up The Sand Dancers!!!

Great club although I would say that, I was born there. Well run and well supported with regular gates in excess of 2000. 11 points clear of Hyde in second place who they play away on Saturday.
FC United of Manchester are visitors tonight and they normally bring a fair few. Onwards and upwards lads.

Back