South Africa v England 2nd test - Newlands

I’d say most of the bowlers we’ve picked are for their bowling ability. With some handy batting a bonus.

I can’t think of many in recent years?
Bresnan, Jordan, Woakes, Dawson, Curran x2, Bess, Ansari, Batty, Toby Roland Jones, Overton, Moeen Ali, Samit Patel

Some of this list are maybe a stretch. Onions would have been a mainstay in the side if he could have batted like Bresnan.

Last edited:

Bresnan, Jordan, Woakes, Dawson, Curran x2, Bess, Ansari, Batty, Toby Roland Jones,Overton Moeen Ali, Samit Patel, Bopara

Some of this list are maybe a stretch. Onions would have been a mainstay in the side if he could have batted like Bresnan.
Bresnan - fair enough
Jordan - yeah ok
Woakes - Absolutely not
Dawson - yep
Curran, T - nope
Curran, S - yep
Ansari - yes
Batty - not a chance
Roland Jones - haway man
Overton - already discounted
Modern - originally picked as an all rounder. But clearly the best spinner we have
Patel - picked as an allrounder
Bopara - since when was he a bowler? He’s a batsmen that bowls some handy medium pace

Bresnan - fair enough
Jordan - yeah ok
Woakes - Absolutely not
Dawson - yep
Curran, T - nope
Curran, S - yep
Ansari - yes
Batty - not a chance
Roland Jones - haway man
Overton - already discounted
Modern - originally picked as an all rounder. But clearly the best spinner we have
Patel - picked as an allrounder
Bopara - since when was he a bowler? He’s a batsmen that bowls some handy medium pace
Woakes was absolutely shite for his first year in test cricket averaging over 100 with the bowl but like 30 odd with the bat.

We picked Ansari,Batty,Dawson rather than having a look at leach for example. Because they could hold a bat and he couldn't if were all being honest.

Regardless of whether picked as all rounders.We still picked at the time two average county spinners as frontline spinners.

Bopara I deleted as I realised that was shite. What got roland jones the gig over some of the other seamers about, granted was decent when he played with the ball.

Arrived yesterday for this. Can't wait despite how dire we are. In the meantime there's plenty to do. Explore the city today, head down to Cape Point and Boulders beach tomorrow, Table Mountain Wednesday afternoon, Robben Island on Thursday then a safari and a vineyard for the couple of days after the Test next week

Excellent. Going to try and arrange a pint on Day 3 if you’ve and your dad fancy it

One of the most iconic venues in cricket.

Despite the loss in the first test still fancy England to win the series. Not cos they're great but cos the Saffers are worse. Root's bizarre captaincy is the biggest worry for me to any positive results.
Safe journey mate.
Don’t forget to give us the costs of stuff whilst u r there.
Will be getting the Rands second week in Jan and don’t want to be ordering too many of the fuckers

It was 30 for a poured 500 ml can of Bud or Castle or Castle Light, or brutal fruit cider whatever that is.
Also some Smirnoff mixer.
No wine.
Although some people were coming back with plastic cups of ice to add to the "water" in their flasks.

I was told it would be 35 Rand in CT or Wanderers.

Never waited for more than 2 minutes at the bar.

Seen as I'm on here, we are staying in the sticks again, behind a service station by a lake 40 Kms from Bloemfontein.

Going to Beaufort West tomorrow to see the Karoo National Park.

Reason I mention this is that there is a massive drought in the Karoo (desert).

It is a 300 mile drive tomorrow, and outside the garage there are about 150 or more plastic bottles. Empty coke bottles etc, people have filled them with water and left them there.

Anyone going that way is asked to take some bottles and requested to drop them off at designated spots in Beaufort West or Graaf Reinet!

Feel a bit humbled that people are making the effort to fill up one litre bottles with tap water in the hope someone will take it it 300 miles to give to someone else.
FFS, for us it is only water!

The bloke working here showed me photos of smiling kids receiving water bottles, bowsers delivering water to people queueing with gallon containers, buckets, etc

Different world to Sandton.

Puts the cricket in perspective.
Safe journey mate.
Don’t forget to give us the costs of stuff whilst u r there.
Will be getting the Rands second week in Jan and don’t want to be ordering too many of the fuckers

For anyone based near London,
Sterling FX on Edgeware Road gave me the best exchange rate I have ever seen.
I picked it up, but other companies will deliver to your house.

Random prices-
Petrol 16 Rand a litre.
Wine from £4 or £5 in restaurants.

Huge sausage bread bun 35 Rand in the ground.

Paid 40 for massive sausage and chips tonight where we are.

Haven't Ubered , but 3 mile is quoted from £2 -£3 in Joburg.
25 mile on the superfast and supersafe Gautrain in Joburg was 58 Rand. Expensive for locals.

Biltong in supermarkets about 30-35 Rand for 100 g.
Edit
Again this belongs on a different thread, but I was tagged on this one

Last edited:
It was 30 for a poured 500 ml can of Bud or Castle or Castle Light, or brutal fruit cider whatever that is.
Also some Smirnoff mixer.
No wine.
Although some people were coming back with plastic cups of ice to add to the "water" in their flasks.

I was told it would be 35 Rand in CT or Wanderers.

Never waited for more than 2 minutes at the bar.

Seen as I'm on here, we are staying in the sticks again, behind a service station by a lake 40 Kms from Bloemfontein.

Going to Beaufort West tomorrow to see the Karoo National Park.

Reason I mention this is that there is a massive drought in the Karoo (desert).

It is a 300 mile drive tomorrow, and outside the garage there are about 150 or more plastic bottles. Empty coke bottles etc, people have filled them with water and left them there.

Anyone going that way is asked to take some bottles and requested to drop them off at designated spots in Beaufort West or Graaf Reinet!

Feel a bit humbled that people are making the effort to fill up one litre bottles with tap water in the hope someone will take it it 300 miles to give to someone else.
FFS, for us it is only water!

The bloke working here showed me photos of smiling kids receiving water bottles, bowsers delivering water to people queueing with gallon containers, buckets, etc

Different world to Sandton.

Puts the cricket in perspective.

For anyone based near London,
Sterling FX on Edgeware Road gave me the best exchange rate I have ever seen.
I picked it up, but other companies will deliver to your house.

Random prices-
Petrol 16 Rand a litre.
Wine from £4 or £5 in restaurants.

Huge sausage bread bun 35 Rand in the ground.

Paid 40 for massive sausage and chips tonight where we are.

Haven't Ubered , but 3 mile is quoted from £2 -£3 in Joburg.
25 mile on the superfast and supersafe Gautrain in Joburg was 58 Rand. Expensive for locals.

Biltong in supermarkets about 30-35 Rand for 100 g.
Edit
Again this belongs on a different thread, but I was tagged on this one
Good stuff mate

mug & bean is a good restaurant chain btw

this is completely fair by Atherton as usual

Back