South Africa v England 2nd test - Newlands

Seems to be talk of picking Bess. Three questions spring to mind

1) is he good enough?
2) why pick him over Parkinson in the initial squad?
3) are we back to picking bowlers because they can hold a bat?

1) Not yet
2) Parkinson should be nowhere near the f***ing team, at least they've seen sense now..
3) Yes, but Leach isn't good enough either on unhelpful pitches, so may as well give him a go.
4) wankers should have given Ali a central contract.

I will give you Bresnan, albeit was a while ago

overton has played 4 tests, so not a great example. I’d argue they took him to Australia more to hit the pitch as they tried with Tremlett, Rankin and Finn (was a stupid idea with Overton)

They as much as stated he played the ashes test because of his batting this summer

They as much as stated he played the ashes test because of his batting this summer
Joe Root, England’s Test captain, hinted that Overton’s inclusion is based on the ground conditions which offers more bounce than expected. "At this ground, it does perform slightly different," said the skipper. "You get a bit more bounce from a taller bowler and it gives us a slightly different option to go to. I feel like that balances out our attack really well in these conditions”, Root added.

A good question to ask, is there anyone in the South Africa team you'd replace like for like in the England team?

Can't see too much myself.

I'd have big Vern in ahead of Anderson, Rabada ahead of Archer (like for like wise), Maharaj in for whichever spinner we decided to pick, De Koch in for any of our keepers, Dr Plessis in for Pope so that we'd have a proper f***ing captain, Elgar in for Sibley, and might chance my arm with their number three too.

So, you know...
Ali didn’t want one I thought? He asked for a break? Could be wrong mind

He wanted a central contract. Asked for a break too, which is definitely cake and eat it, but they're fucked now because he can make a shit ton more f***ing about in 20-20 games and isn't about to come and carry the f***ing drinks for a five man seam attack. May not bother with Sri Lanka is the latest.

Don't blame him myself, hard to thing of a cricketer that has won as many matches for England as he has being messed around like him.

Last edited:
Joe Root, England’s Test captain, hinted that Overton’s inclusion is based on the ground conditions which offers more bounce than expected. "At this ground, it does perform slightly different," said the skipper. "You get a bit more bounce from a taller bowler and it gives us a slightly different option to go to. I feel like that balances out our attack really well in these conditions”, Root added.

One quote by one person who is not a selector. Good counter.

South africas bowlers are much better than ours tbf. I doubt england will win a test

They are without question at home. Philander is a better seam bowler than Anderson on these pitches and Rabada a better quick than Archer at this stage of his career. I think Broad is better than whoever they pick as third seamer, and obviously they have a better spinner. Stokes as fourth seamer is obviously better than their options there mind, so it's an evenish contest.
Well it is the captain. So it’s a pretty decent counter :lol:

I’ve googled for an Ed Smith comment about his batting being the reason, I cant find one.

I’m sure his batting was a consideration, albeit his first class record is hardly startling

Captain is a selector isn't he? Certainly attends the meetings.

Last edited:
They are without question at home. Philander is a better seam bowler than Anderson on these pitches and Rabada a better quick than Archer at this stage of his career. I think Broad is better than whoever they pick as third seamer, and obviously they have a better spinner. Stokes as fourth seamer is obviously better than their options there mind, so it's an evenish contest.

Captain is a selector isn't he? Certainly attends the meetings.
Don’t think so anymore. The captain and coach pick on tour. But regardless, he has a voice
Just reading about Old Trafford again, they picked Overton over Curran. And Woakes. who were both fit.

Curran averages 9 more than Overton. Woakes 13.

not one article I can find talks about batting, it’s about extracting bounce

Overton was not picked for his batting

Last edited:
Don’t think so anymore. The captain and coach pick on tour. But regardless, he has a voice
Just reading about Old Trafford again, they picked Overton over Curran. And Woakes. who were both fit.

Curran averages 9 more than Overton. Woakes 13.

not one article I can find talks about batting, it’s about extracting bounce

Overton was not picked for his batting

I agree, I was backing you up - the quote makes it clear why he was picked.

When Bairstow is out there batting they need to go through his stuff and take back all the incriminating photos he must have of the selectors and Root.

Problem is he's never out there long enough for them to do it properly.

Arrived yesterday for this. Can't wait despite how dire we are. In the meantime there's plenty to do. Explore the city today, head down to Cape Point and Boulders beach tomorrow, Table Mountain Wednesday afternoon, Robben Island on Thursday then a safari and a vineyard for the couple of days after the Test next week

I land on Wednesday mate. Hopefully see you out there. I've got Table Mountain Thursday and Robben Island next week.

Back