Somerset

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think this is the future mind, go to more outgrounds, drive interest, get new faces in and the novelty also good for members
Scarborough was fantastic in 2013 possibly the best quality championship match I have been to.
Durham need to start planning for out grounds cricket. Sadly the Riverside has become a white elephant.

Used to be great going to the out grounds in the 90's. We used to holiday at Scarborough every year when the festival was on and there was always big names on show. Saw the touring WIndies side in 95 with Lara, Walsh, Ambrose etc. The following year Chris Cairns asked me to drop his hotel keys off for him after the game as he'd forgot to check out. The good thing about out grounds is not only bringing cricket to another venue and local demographic, but the majority of them are small and tight grounds so players become more accessible. We used to go to Feethams whenever we could and it was rare not to see the players in the bar afterwards.

Having found a considerable bit of humour from their most recent title chasing slip ups - largely down to their horrid doctoring of pitches and the fact that I always took immense pride in knowing that they’ve been around for over a hundred years and never won a Championship crown (despite us having won three in our infancy) - I’ve now come to the point where I want them to win the title this year. They’re currently 26 points clear of Hampfrica, with 5 wins and a draw from 6.

My reasons for this change of heart? They’re plentiful really, they too, like us have been shafted over The Hundred, they’re not a Test county, they aren’t Hampfrica, it’s about time their members had something to shout about (proper cricket wise) but above all - I see a hell of a lot of similarities in them to what I think we all want Durham to be, our raison d’etre if you will. The main one being that they seem to regularly produce a number of homegrown players and I think I’m right in saying their current success is largely down to that.

So there you go, ha’way Ciderabad! :cool:

My Mrs is from Somerset, that'll do for me

Scarborough was fantastic in 2013 possibly the best quality championship match I have been to.
Durham need to start planning for out grounds cricket. Sadly the Riverside has become a white elephant.

It is class there yeah

I think its a way of getting people in the ground, it looks great in the pictures and having been to a few its really enjoyable, feel like you are part of something

Essex are threatening to make things interesting at the top. Skittled them out for 131 and lead by 249 at the close. A home win at Chelmsford tightens things up. And puts Hampshire down a place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back